Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > [OT] Trouble searching a.b.boneless

[OT] Trouble searching a.b.boneless

Bucky Breeder

Working on something that was posted "5 days" ago...

They post ~3 million a day up in there, those silly
Dutchmen, and the Xnews search slider is only about
2 inches long on my widescreen. (Some of you more
delusional pervs might get a kick out of that one.)

FYI and any reasonable suggestions might be considered.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; ; and *NO*,
that is NOT a Jedi light-sabre in my pocket; and yet,

"Stupid is as 'hwf' does." --Forrest Gump's Mamma
"Run 'Lookout', Run!" --Forrest Gump's Jenny

Mike Easter

Bucky Breeder wrote:
Subject: [OT] Trouble searching a.b.boneless

It looks to me like a.b.boneless is a rump/rogue group - it is not
carried by major newsservers such as giganews. Nor lesser ones such as
usenet-news, which is a highwinds-media server.

I found some newsservers which carried the group but didn't have any
messages in it. Here's what newzbot sez about servers carrying some
messages in that group

http://www.newzbot.com/search.php?q=a.b.boneless

> Working on something that was posted "5 days" ago...

There are also several other boneless groups, so your target as stated,
spelled, may be 'ambiguous'.

Here's what newzbot sez about other boneless groups somewhat similarly
named

I was also able to find the following groups similar to your request:

a.b.boneless
a.b.boneless.nl
alt.binairies.boneless
alt.binaries.boneless
alt.binaries.boneless.nl
alt.boneless
alt.boneless.popquiz

> They post ~3 million a day up in there,

Not a.b.boneless in any normal newsservers

--
Mike Easter

Bucky Breeder

"Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> deflatulated this with
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Bucky Breeder wrote:
> Subject: [OT] Trouble searching a.b.boneless
>
> It looks to me like a.b.boneless is a rump/rogue group - it is not
> carried by major newsservers such as giganews. Nor lesser ones such as
> usenet-news, which is a highwinds-media server.
>
> I found some newsservers which carried the group but didn't have any
> messages in it. Here's what newzbot sez about servers carrying some
> messages in that group
>
> http://www.newzbot.com/search.php?q=a.b.boneless
>
>> Working on something that was posted "5 days" ago...

> There are also several other boneless groups,
> so your target as stated, spelled, may be 'ambiguous'.

Anyone who deals with the binaries sort of knows which
is the real one and which are the decoys... I think
[they] do that screwy-name-thang on purpose... or just
for the spammers?

> Here's what newzbot sez about other boneless groups
> somewhat similarly named
>
> I was also able to find the following groups similar to your request:
>
> a.b.boneless
> a.b.boneless.nl
> alt.binairies.boneless
> alt.binaries.boneless
> alt.binaries.boneless.nl
> alt.boneless
> alt.boneless.popquiz
>
>> They post ~3 million a day up in there,

> Not a.b.boneless in any normal newsservers

alt.binaries.boneless

I needed to retrieve something posted on the 28th...

http://www.binsearch.info/ gives the [search field]
in "[xx]d" ago posted... because it's a European
server, there's often a day discrepancy from our time,
the *real* "Red-White-and-Blue" American time, around
which the entire universe revolves...

I got it, but man-O-man, it's a drill downloading
~250,000 headers at a time, and starting on the 27th
just to err on the side of caution... and the Xnews
slider is just way too small to really refine efficiently.

I guess I should learn to use the .nzb system, but this
so rarely occurs, it'd be nice if someone has/had a
modification to the "Open Special..." dialog...

But, I got it done, thankfully.

Best regards.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; ; and *NO*,
that is NOT a Jedi light-sabre in my pocket; and yet,
I'm NOT particularly happy to see you; furthermore,
I did NOT incite the Iranian elections riots! So there.

"Stupid is as 'hwf' does." --Forrest Gump's Mamma
"Run 'Lookout', Run!" --Forrest Gump's Jenny

chuckcar

Bucky Breeder <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.i t.out>
wrote in news:Xns9C5C68E934061BuckyGram@216.151.153.44:

> Working on something that was posted "5 days" ago...
>
> They post ~3 million a day up in there, those silly
> Dutchmen, and the Xnews search slider is only about
> 2 inches long on my widescreen. (Some of you more
> delusional pervs might get a kick out of that one.)
>
> FYI and any reasonable suggestions might be considered.

So filter to show only articles with "nfo" in the subject, mark them 9999,
remove the filter, sort by score, look at the nfo, if you don't want it
set the score to 0, (this toggles by clicking on the score field of any
article) then switch back and forth between sorting by score and date to
allow you to transfer wanted posts into a queue. You might also try
news.software.readers on this one. I'm assuming memory is not a problem
here.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Bucky Breeder

chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> deflatulated this with

> Bucky Breeder <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.i t.out>
> wrote in news:Xns9C5C68E934061BuckyGram@216.151.153.44:
>
>> Working on something that was posted "5 days" ago...
>>
>> They post ~3 million a day up in there, those silly
>> Dutchmen, and the Xnews search slider is only about
>> 2 inches long on my widescreen. (Some of you more
>> delusional pervs might get a kick out of that one.)
>>
>> FYI and any reasonable suggestions might be considered.

> So filter to show only articles with "nfo" in the subject, mark them
> 9999, remove the filter, sort by score, look at the nfo, if you don't
> want it set the score to 0, (this toggles by clicking on the score field
> of any article) then switch back and forth between sorting by score and
> date to allow you to transfer wanted posts into a queue. You might also
> try news.software.readers on this one. I'm assuming memory is not a
> problem here.

In the boneless group almost all the posters post properly... an NFO,
often the NZB (those that use it) then the PAR2, then the volumes,
followed by the PAR-set, and sometimes the DIZ file. It's just really
high-volume, 24/7...

Xnews does display some memory problems when searching high-activity
groups. I generally use a workstation having a dual-processor Intel
@ 3-GHz with 3-GB RAM; but it's *how* Xnews uses the memory in the
searches and/or how it records the newsrec files which will crash it
after an extensive search session.... It's an easy recovery.

This is really so rare that I would not couch it as a "complaint"
about Xnews. It is confined to incidences where I am searching for
a distant post in a high-volume group. There are so many features
of Xnews which makes it superior [for my usage]. But, if only
the "Open Special..." dialog were a little bit more configurable, then
targeting a more specific date-range would be considerably easier.
Because of the lower volume in the groups, music is much easier to
to refine a search for a specific target... but most of them only see
~50-thousand per day, juxtaposed to bonless' >~3-million or such.

I'll play with the scoring filters next time the issue comes up, but
I don't see it helping much in these very specific situations... but
it's certainly worth another look.