Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Motherboard with VIA chipset

Motherboard with VIA chipset

Ardent

Hi Group

I have two offers for the following motherboard

P4VM800M7

at almost half the original price and both say the mobo has been used
only for a few months and is in good working condition.

I have always used only motherboard with Intel chipsets. This board
uses

VIA PM800 Northbridge along with VT8237 Southbridge

Since they are trying to sell the boards so soon after buying I am a
little doubtful about this motherboard.

Any of you familiar with VIA chipsets please enlighten me about the
possible problems with these chipsets?

I will be installing XP-SP3 on this board.

--
Thanks for your time and attention

Archer

hwf

Ardent <(E-Mail Removed)> pinched out a steaming pile
of<(E-Mail Removed)>:

> Hi Group
>
> I have two offers for the following motherboard
>
> P4VM800M7
>
> at almost half the original price and both say the mobo has been used
> only for a few months and is in good working condition.
>
> I have always used only motherboard with Intel chipsets. This board
> uses
>
> VIA PM800 Northbridge along with VT8237 Southbridge
>
> Since they are trying to sell the boards so soon after buying I am a
> little doubtful about this motherboard.
>
> Any of you familiar with VIA chipsets please enlighten me about the
> possible problems with these chipsets?
>
> I will be installing XP-SP3 on this board.

Get a money back guarantee?
Hopefully they didnt zap it with static discharge when they had it.

Otherwise those chipsets are supported under XP and better OS's
like...oh...say...Linux.

Mike Easter

Ardent wrote:

> I have two offers for the following motherboard
>
> P4VM800M7

Two offers? Does that mean two offers to sell?

> at almost half the original price

My local store was selling that mobo for $20, but they are currently out

http://snipr.com/olqmk Mercury P4VM800M7 VIA P4M800 Socket 775 mATX
Motherboard w/Video, Audio & LAN

Part #: KVM800M-R
Warranty: 90 Days
Condition: Refurbished
Packaging: Retail Box
Ship Weight: 2.5 lbs
Manufacturer: Mercury
MFG Part #: P4VM800M7
Supported By: Geeks
Availability: Out of Stock
Your Price: $19.99

> and both say the mobo has been used
> only for a few months and is in good working condition.

I wouldn't be buying a used mobo from an individual when I can buy it so
cheaply from a dealer with a storefront nearby.

> VIA PM800 Northbridge along with VT8237 Southbridge

Almost all of my computers -1- don't use intel cpu and -2- don't use
intel support chipsets

> Since they are trying to sell the boards so soon after buying I am a
> little doubtful about this motherboard.

Are you going to buy it for $10 - half of $20?

> Any of you familiar with VIA chipsets please enlighten me about the
> possible problems with these chipsets?

I like all kinds of non-intel chipsets.

--
Mike Easter

Ardent

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 07:50:21 -0700, Mike Easter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Are you going to buy it for $10 - half of $20?

Actually my little daughter pushed the computer and it fell down and
the motherboard got damaged. This mobo was also Mercury PI865D7 but
with Intel chipset. I was looking for a replacement and found they the
same mobo is no longer available. So this exercise to buy a used mobo.

>> Any of you familiar with VIA chipsets please enlighten me about the
>> possible problems with these chipsets?

>I like all kinds of non-intel chipsets.

That sets mind at peace. Thanks Mike for your valuable feedback.

--

Thanks again

Archer