Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Announcing PythonTurtle

Announcing PythonTurtle

cool-RR

Hello,

I wanted to announce that I have just released my little side project,
PythonTurtle.
Here is its website:
http://pythonturtle.com

Its goal is to be the lowest-threshold way to learn (or teach) Python.
You can read more about it and download it on the website.

Ram.

André

On Aug 3, 10:18*am, cool-RR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wanted to announce that I have just released my little side project,
> PythonTurtle.
> Here is its website:http://pythonturtle.com
>
> Its goal is to be the lowest-threshold way to learn (or teach) Python.
> You can read more about it and download it on the website.
>
> Ram.

Why not make the source available? At the very least, people that do
not run windows could try it too.

André

Hilmar Bunjes

André schrieb:

>> I wanted to announce that I have just released my little side project,
>> PythonTurtle.
>> Here is its website:http://pythonturtle.com
>>
>> Its goal is to be the lowest-threshold way to learn (or teach) Python.
>> You can read more about it and download it on the website.
>>
>> Ram.

> Why not make the source available? At the very least, people that do
> not run windows could try it too.

Isn't this the source: http://github.com/cool-RR/PythonTurtle/tree/master ?

Linked at the bottom of the page.

Best,
Hilmar

cool-RR

On Aug 3, 5:53*pm, André <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 3, 10:18*am, cool-RR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Hello,

> > I wanted to announce that I have just released my little side project,
> > PythonTurtle.
> > Here is its website:http://pythonturtle.com

> > Its goal is to be the lowest-threshold way to learn (or teach) Python.
> > You can read more about it and download it on the website.

> > Ram.

> Why not make the source available? *At the very least, people that do
> not run windows could try it too.
>
> André

Sorry that the link is obscure like that. I'll change it so it's
easier to see.

Colin J. Williams

cool-RR wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wanted to announce that I have just released my little side project,
> PythonTurtle.
> Here is its website:
> http://pythonturtle.com
>
> Its goal is to be the lowest-threshold way to learn (or teach) Python.
> You can read more about it and download it on the website.
>
> Ram.

It looks neat but it's not yet ready for prime time.

Colin W.

cool-RR

On Aug 3, 7:04*pm, "Colin J. Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> cool-RR wrote:
> > Hello,

> > I wanted to announce that I have just released my little side project,
> > PythonTurtle.
> > Here is its website:
> >http://pythonturtle.com

> > Its goal is to be the lowest-threshold way to learn (or teach) Python.
> > You can read more about it and download it on the website.

> > Ram.

> It looks neat but it's not yet ready for prime time.
>
> Colin W.

I agree there's a lot that can be improved - I wanted to put it out
there so I could get feedback and fix the important things first. So
I'd appreciate you telling me what you think needs improvement.

Ram.

Hello,
I wanted to announce that I have just released my little side
project,
PythonTurtle.
[snip]

I think it looks great --haven't download the source yet-- but i
really like the screenshot. This will be more "inviting" to the new,
inexperianced users. I like the idea of packaging up the command
prompt and the canvas into one very friendly interface. I especially
like that you are using a "real" turtle.

I can remember the first time i used turtle (in python stdlib) and i
kept saying to myself...

"Were the heck is this damn turtle?!?!" (>_<)

cool-RR

On Aug 3, 11:35*pm, r <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello,
> I wanted to announce that I have just released my little side
> project,
> PythonTurtle.
> [snip]
>
> I think it looks great --haven't download the source yet-- but i
> really like the screenshot. This will be more "inviting" to the new,
> inexperianced users. I like the idea of packaging up the command
> prompt and the canvas into one very friendly interface. *I especially
> like that you are using a "real" turtle.
>
> I can remember the first time i used turtle (in python stdlib) and i
> kept saying to myself...
>
> * * "Were the heck is this damn turtle?!?!" (>_<)

Thanks for the compliments; The things you mentioned you liked are all
things that I was specifically thinking about when I decided to make
PythonTurtle. Well, maybe minus the screenshot

On Aug 3, 5:03*pm, cool-RR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[snip]
> Thanks for the compliments; The things you mentioned you liked are all
> things that I was specifically thinking about when I decided to make
> PythonTurtle. Well, maybe minus the screenshot

I *may* get roasted for this comment, but i think a turtle module
along the lines of what you have here would better serve the stdlib.
The current implementation is great, but the whole purpose of turtle
is to help children or non-programmers get a feel of the language in a
very, very, simple and fun way. Your app is presented in much the same
way as any over-the-counter windows app any non-programmer has seen
before making them *feel* a little more comfortable.

[warning wild speculations ahead!!]
I just guessing here, but i'll bet many of these *noobs* have found
the current turtle just a wee-bit more advanced than they can handle,
and *some* have been scared off. I would also venture to say a key-map
of sorts that is available thru the help menu where one could push an
"Up" button, or a "rotate" button, and have the proper command
inserted in the prompt, and then have the command execute, may also
help make the connections here, a sort of *real* Visual Basic
programming -- sorry Microsoft

Mensanator

On Aug 3, 8:18*am, cool-RR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wanted to announce that I have just released my little side project,
> PythonTurtle.
> Here is its website:http://pythonturtle.com
>
> Its goal is to be the lowest-threshold way to learn (or teach) Python.
> You can read more about it and download it on the website.

I dunno, looks kind of worthless to me.

http://www.mensanator.com/mensanator...thonTurtle.htm