Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Building / making an application

Building / making an application

Peter Chant

What is a good way to do this? There are instructions on making modules at:

http://docs.python.org/distutils/setupscript.html

however, what do you do if you don't want a module? I'm thinking of where
I'd like to split the code into several files and have a build / setup
script put it together and install it somewhere such as /usr/local/bin.
I'm interested in what the standard way of doing this is.

Thanks,

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Krishnakant

On Sun, 2009-08-02 at 20:21 +0100, Peter Chant wrote:
> What is a good way to do this? There are instructions on making modules at:
>
> http://docs.python.org/distutils/setupscript.html
>
> however, what do you do if you don't want a module? I'm thinking of where
> I'd like to split the code into several files and have a build / setup
> script put it together and install it somewhere such as /usr/local/bin.
> I'm interested in what the standard way of doing this is.

Have you considered creating a deb or rpm package for your application?
Most of the documentation for deb or rpm will talk about make files.
But even a distutil based python package (with a setup.py) can be made
into a deb package.
Then the your requirement will be satisfied at least for most gnu/linux
based distros.

happy hacking.
Krishnakant.

Peter Chant

Krishnakant wrote:

> Have you considered creating a deb or rpm package for your application?
> Most of the documentation for deb or rpm will talk about make files.
> But even a distutil based python package (with a setup.py) can be made
> into a deb package.
> Then the your requirement will be satisfied at least for most gnu/linux
> based distros.

I'm a slacker, so what I would do would be to make a slack build, the
slackbuild would take the source and build that. The stage I am at is
the "how to build the source" stage. Don't really intend to get as far as
distribution specific packages.

What I could do is create a script in the source root directory (that sounds
a bit overblown) that simply concatenates together all the python files in
the right order and perhaps copies the result to /usr/local/bin or /usr/bin
as appropriate. Is that the right way to go? It looks like distutils is
appropriate only for modules.

OTOH it might be appropriate to put the bulk of an application in a module
and have a function calling it the only part of the main script.

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Diez B. Roggisch

Peter Chant schrieb:
> Krishnakant wrote:
>

>> Have you considered creating a deb or rpm package for your application?
>> Most of the documentation for deb or rpm will talk about make files.
>> But even a distutil based python package (with a setup.py) can be made
>> into a deb package.
>> Then the your requirement will be satisfied at least for most gnu/linux
>> based distros.

> I'm a slacker, so what I would do would be to make a slack build, the
> slackbuild would take the source and build that. The stage I am at is
> the "how to build the source" stage. Don't really intend to get as far as
> distribution specific packages.
>
> What I could do is create a script in the source root directory (that sounds
> a bit overblown) that simply concatenates together all the python files in
> the right order and perhaps copies the result to /usr/local/bin or /usr/bin
> as appropriate. Is that the right way to go? It looks like distutils is
> appropriate only for modules.
>
> OTOH it might be appropriate to put the bulk of an application in a module
> and have a function calling it the only part of the main script.

You should consider using setuptools. Then you get an egg that people
can install, and you can define "console_scripts"-entry-points which
will be installed into /usr/local/bin or similar locations.

Diez

Peter Chant

Diez B. Roggisch wrote:

> You should consider using setuptools. Then you get an egg that people
> can install, and you can define "console_scripts"-entry-points which
> will be installed into /usr/local/bin or similar locations.

Interesting, I think I need to have a play with that. The cross platform
bit could be useful as well.

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk