Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Agent & Defrag

Agent & Defrag

The Stone Crusher

I am running XP Pro SP3, & also Forte Agent 4. When I run defrag on C:
there are a very large amount of files it will not defrag. When I checked
the log it showed all of them were related to Agent.

C:\Documents and Settings\Luke\Application Data\Forte\Agent

There is a long list on IDX ad DAT files.

I have the drive partitioned into C: & E: Agent is installed on E: These
files are on C: Can they be deleted without a problem?

Goodwill,

Luke

Evan Platt

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 14:19:53 -0400, "The Stone Crusher"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am running XP Pro SP3, & also Forte Agent 4. When I run defrag on C:
>there are a very large amount of files it will not defrag. When I checked
>the log it showed all of them were related to Agent.
>

>C:\Documents and Settings\Luke\Application Data\Forte\Agent
>

>There is a long list on IDX ad DAT files.
>

>I have the drive partitioned into C: & E: Agent is installed on E: These
>files are on C: Can they be deleted without a problem?

When you installed Agent, you told it to store the data separately.
Can't recall the exact wording.

Those files are essentially your newsgroups. If you delete them, you
delete basically offline messages in newsgroups. So can they be
deleted without a problem? Depends on your definition of a problem.

why?

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 14:19:53 -0400, The Stone Crusher wrote:

>I am running XP Pro SP3, & also Forte Agent 4. When I run defrag on C:
>there are a very large amount of files it will not defrag. When I checked

You don't have Agent running in the background, Windows Indexing turned
on?

Assuming you are using Windows defrag, other defrag apps will defrag on
boot to get around locked / open files issues. Only tried paid for
defrag, you could look for free apps and see if they defrag at boot.

>the log it showed all of them were related to Agent.

The reason given about why it won't defrag the files is.....

>C:\Documents and Settings\Luke\Application Data\Forte\Agent

You might want to edit the paths you post sometimes in this case you
closed with Luke , but if your user name on the PC was different....

>There is a long list on IDX ad DAT files.

That's the newsgroup data, oddly enough.

Agent Help (from v5) , search for

Agent's Directories and Files

GROUPS.DAT & .IDX
These files comprise the list of newsgroups. They are stored in the
Data directory.

<8 DIGIT HEX#>.DAT & .IDX
These are data files for individual groups/folders. They are stored in
the Data directory.

OTOH if it's a lot of very tiny <4K files, these are in the MFT and
don't defrag. Something more expensive will defrag the MFT.

>I have the drive partitioned into C: & E: Agent is installed on E: These
>files are on C: Can they be deleted without a problem?

You can move them, see agent data folders, shortcuts and agent.ini on
how to configure folders.

If you have the space and a safe backup you can copy / move the files
delete them from the source folder and copy/move them back. Messy but
will defrag them.

You could try the command line defrag.exe and set it as a scheduled task
at boot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848

The amount of freespace on the drive is enough to allow defrag to run?

the command line defrag says 15%

>Goodwill,
>
>Luke

Me

Stephen Wolstenholme

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am running XP Pro SP3, & also Forte Agent 4. When I run defrag on C:
>there are a very large amount of files it will not defrag. When I checked
>the log it showed all of them were related to Agent.
>
>C:\Documents and Settings\Luke\Application Data\Forte\Agent
>
>There is a long list on IDX ad DAT files.
>
>I have the drive partitioned into C: & E: Agent is installed on E: These
>files are on C: Can they be deleted without a problem?

I find defragmenting the Agent data and index files takes a while to
but is always eventually 100% successful.

You could delete the files but as they are all your email and news
messages it would be a big mistake.

Which defragmenter are you using?

Steve