Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Kidnapped

Kidnapped

OldGringo38

A driver is

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere

chuckcar

OldGringo38 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:h52k17$80v$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> A driver is
> > stuck in a traffic jam
> > going into downtown Wako.

> > Nothing is
> > moving north or south.
> > Suddenly a man knocks on his window.

> > The driver rolls down his window and asks, 'What
> > happened, what's the hold
> > up?'

> > 'Terrorists have kidnapped Barack Obama, Hillary
> > Clinton, Oprah Winfrey,
> > Nancy Pelosi, Rosie O'Donnell, Jesse Jackson and Al
> > Sharpton. They are
> > asking for a $10 Million ransom. Otherwise, they are
> > going to douse them with
> > gasoline and set them on fire. We are going from
> > car to car, taking up
> > a collection.'

> > The driver asks, 'On average, how much is everyone
> > giving?'

> > “About a gallon.”

There, fixed your post.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

chuckcar wrote:

> OldGringo38 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> going into downtown Chicago .

> going into downtown Wako.
>
> There, fixed your post.

Was that supposed to be "Wacko" .. or "Waco?"

--
-bts

Aardvark

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 08:37:46 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> chuckcar wrote:

>> going into downtown Wako.
>>
>> There, fixed your post.

> Was that supposed to be "Wacko" .. or "Waco?"

A bit of both? I wouldn't consider the two words incapable of substitution
with without changing the meaning

chuckcar

Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> chuckcar wrote:
>> OldGringo38 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:h52k17$80v$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:
>>
>>> A driver is

>> There, fixed your post.

> Why did you add a-caret and the Euro sign before and after the last
> line?

The only thing I changed was one word in the 3rd line. The rest you can
blame on the OP for not using standard ascii on usenet.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Aardvark

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 06:56:21 -0400, Rôgêr wrote:

> Why did you add a-caret and the Euro sign before and after the last
> line?

Not 'a-caret'. It's 'a-circumflex'.

FYI and HTH.

HAND.

OldGringo38

Two Cents To The Rôgêr Post:
> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Rôgêr wrote:

>>> Why did you add a-caret and the Euro sign before and after the last
>>> line?

>> Those are correctly displayed in OldGringo's post, Roger. They are
>> 'smartquotes'. They are also displayed correctly in chuckie's reply.

> Must be the difference in readers. In OG's post they displayed okay, in
> Chucky's "corrected" post they were screwed up. Now they go back to
> normal in your reply.
>
>>> “About a gallon.”

>> “About a gallon.”
>>
>> Some newsreaders have difficulty translating them, depending on whether
>> or not they understand the character set, and would display them
>> incorrectly.

> And of course Aardvark was correct about the character being
> a-circumflex. I should have known better but a force 5 brain fart had
> set it this morning.

The text was copied and pasted from an email that had been forwarded
a zillion times on OE and web based emails. I cleaned it up a bit
but have no idea where it originated. Just thought it was funny. <g>