Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > unlock SIP 7960 phone with password set

unlock SIP 7960 phone with password set

swpa

I got two 7960 phones that are running SIP and have a password locked
config, I need to unlock the phones, and reset them and make them sccp.

I tried to do the factory default sequence by power on, holding the #, then
123456789*0# but no luck, is there some other way to recover a password
locked 7960 to reset and restore to sccp?

Morph

In the message <bQ2dm.208$(E-Mail Removed)> swpa wrote:

| I got two 7960 phones that are running SIP and have a password locked
| config, I need to unlock the phones, and reset them and make them sccp.
|
| I tried to do the factory default sequence by power on, holding the #, then
| 123456789*0# but no luck, is there some other way to recover a password
| locked 7960 to reset and restore to sccp?

http://voipwg.netacad.sk/node/87

swpa

Thank you, I been through this sequence and no joy.

Still won't unlock. Tried the default cisco password also

I do the following sequence

press * 6 settings all together, then hold the #

Headseat Mute Speaker slowly and sequentially light, in which I enter
123456789*0#

Phone displays person name "Tim Weber" and ethernet disconnected. I cannot
get pass this and all settings are grayed on on the menu.

At one point do you press the # and enter the 123.. sequence. No matter
what variation I use it goes into the normal boot. My lights headset go
green for about 30 second then the mute goes red for thirty seconds the
speaker quickly flashes then the phone starts booting it's locked config.

Reset (power-cycle) your phone (you can do it by pressing " * + 6 + Settings
" at the same time), and hold the pound ( # ) key. The phone's display will
show you a text "Reset key sequence detected" and the Headset, Mute and
Speaker leds will blink in cycle. Now just press the following keys: " 1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 * 0 # ". Now the phone will ask you if you want to save your
network configuration. If you have a DHCP enabled network then you can
safely press the key "2 - No". And that's all. You phone will boot up with
its factory defaults configuration.

"Morph" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In the message <bQ2dm.208$(E-Mail Removed)> swpa wrote:
>
> | I got two 7960 phones that are running SIP and have a password locked
> | config, I need to unlock the phones, and reset them and make them sccp.
> |
> | I tried to do the factory default sequence by power on, holding the #,
> then
> | 123456789*0# but no luck, is there some other way to recover a password
> | locked 7960 to reset and restore to sccp?
>
> http://voipwg.netacad.sk/node/87

Trendkill

On Aug 1, 5:54*pm, "swpa" <(E-Mail Removed)999.com> wrote:
> I got two 7960 phones that are running SIP and have a password locked
> config, I need to unlock the phones, and reset them and make them sccp.
>
> I tried to do the factory default sequence by power on, holding the #, then
> 123456789*0# but no luck, is there some other way to recover a password
> locked 7960 to reset and restore to sccp?

I'm guessing you tried cisco123 as the password?

swpa

I have several links to reset a SIP 7960 phone back to reset, and have tried
the reset sequence several times and varied the timings, but these phones
will not accept the reset sequence, would something else be preventing the
phones from accepting the reset sequence such as firmware?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Aug 2, 8:59*am, "swpa" <(E-Mail Removed)999.com> wrote:
> I have several links to reset a SIP 7960 phone back to reset, and have tried
> the reset sequence several times and varied the timings, but these phones
> will not accept the reset sequence, would something else be preventing the
> phones from accepting the reset sequence such as firmware?
>
> "Trendkill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Aug 1, 5:54 pm, "swpa" <(E-Mail Removed)999.com> wrote:
>
> > I got two 7960 phones that are running SIP and have a password locked
> > config, I need to unlock the phones, and reset them and make them sccp.

> > I tried to do the factory default sequence by power on, holding the #,
> > then
> > 123456789*0# but no luck, is there some other way to recover a password
> > locked 7960 to reset and restore to sccp?

> I'm guessing you tried cisco123 as the password?

Have you tried cisco123 as the password to unlock the config (not
talking about the reset sequence)? Its the default that I know of.

swpa

Yes, I tried both cisco and cisco123 from the menu and get invalid
password. This is on the unlock config menu.

I have reset both SIP and SCCP phones before, I don't recall it being this
sensitive to a factory reset sequence entry and timing. I followed to a T
the Cisco instructions on resetting sccp and sip 7900 series phones and
googled other links and get the same instructions.

The headset speaker mute lights do no do the normal flashing they intitiall
all quickly flash together, then the green speaker comes on for about a long
30 seconds, then the red mute comes on for a long 30 seconds, then the
yellow speaker quickly flashes and starts to boot. I never get the Keep
network cfg? 1 = yes 2 = no prompt and the screen is blank while the before
mentions light sequence is taking place. Again after I repower the phone
either by pulling the cord or doing the * 6 setting sequence which
immediately works, I hold the # key, get the three light together quickly
flash then the green light come on in which at this time I am entering the
123456789*0# sequence and see the blank display.

On Aug 2, 9:42*am, "swpa" <(E-Mail Removed)999.com> wrote:
> Yes, *I tried both cisco and cisco123 from the menu and get invalid
> password. *This is on the unlock config menu.
>
> I have reset both SIP and SCCP phones before, I don't recall it being this
> sensitive to a factory reset sequence entry and timing. *I followed to a T
> the Cisco instructions on resetting sccp and sip 7900 series phones and
> googled other links and get the same instructions.
>
> The headset speaker mute lights do no do the normal flashing they intitiall
> all quickly flash together, then the green speaker comes on for about a long
> 30 seconds, then the red mute comes on for a long 30 seconds, then the
> yellow speaker quickly flashes and starts to boot. *I never get the Keep
> network cfg? 1 = yes 2 = no *prompt and the screen is blank while the before
> mentions light sequence is taking place. *Again after I repower the phone
> either by pulling the cord or doing the * 6 setting sequence which
> immediately works, I hold the # key, get the three light together quickly
> flash then the green light come on in which at this time I am *entering the
> 123456789*0# sequence and see the blank display.
>
> "Trendkill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Aug 2, 8:59 am, "swpa" <(E-Mail Removed)999.com> wrote:
>

> > I have several links to reset a SIP 7960 phone back to reset, and have
> > tried
> > the reset sequence several times and varied the timings, but these phones
> > will not accept the reset sequence, would something else be preventing the
> > phones from accepting the reset sequence such as firmware?

> > "Trendkill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Aug 1, 5:54 pm, "swpa" <(E-Mail Removed)999.com> wrote:

> > > I got two 7960 phones that are running SIP and have a password locked
> > > config, I need to unlock the phones, and reset them and make them sccp.

> > > I tried to do the factory default sequence by power on, holding the #,
> > > then
> > > 123456789*0# but no luck, is there some other way to recover a password
> > > locked 7960 to reset and restore to sccp?

> > I'm guessing you tried cisco123 as the password?

> Have you tried cisco123 as the password to unlock the config (not
> talking about the reset sequence)? *Its the default that I know of.

When you hold the # key, does it prompt you with: "Reset key sequence
detected"? I'm doing some googling as well, this looks like a tough
one.

Trendkill

On Aug 2, 9:42*am, "swpa" <(E-Mail Removed)999.com> wrote:
> Yes, *I tried both cisco and cisco123 from the menu and get invalid
> password. *This is on the unlock config menu.
>
> I have reset both SIP and SCCP phones before, I don't recall it being this
> sensitive to a factory reset sequence entry and timing. *I followed to a T
> the Cisco instructions on resetting sccp and sip 7900 series phones and
> googled other links and get the same instructions.
>
> The headset speaker mute lights do no do the normal flashing they intitiall
> all quickly flash together, then the green speaker comes on for about a long
> 30 seconds, then the red mute comes on for a long 30 seconds, then the
> yellow speaker quickly flashes and starts to boot. *I never get the Keep
> network cfg? 1 = yes 2 = no *prompt and the screen is blank while the before
> mentions light sequence is taking place. *Again after I repower the phone
> either by pulling the cord or doing the * 6 setting sequence which
> immediately works, I hold the # key, get the three light together quickly
> flash then the green light come on in which at this time I am *entering the
> 123456789*0# sequence and see the blank display.
>
> "Trendkill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Aug 2, 8:59 am, "swpa" <(E-Mail Removed)999.com> wrote:
>

> > I have several links to reset a SIP 7960 phone back to reset, and have
> > tried
> > the reset sequence several times and varied the timings, but these phones
> > will not accept the reset sequence, would something else be preventing the
> > phones from accepting the reset sequence such as firmware?

> > "Trendkill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Aug 1, 5:54 pm, "swpa" <(E-Mail Removed)999.com> wrote:

> > > I got two 7960 phones that are running SIP and have a password locked
> > > config, I need to unlock the phones, and reset them and make them sccp.

> > > I tried to do the factory default sequence by power on, holding the #,
> > > then
> > > 123456789*0# but no luck, is there some other way to recover a password
> > > locked 7960 to reset and restore to sccp?

> > I'm guessing you tried cisco123 as the password?

> Have you tried cisco123 as the password to unlock the config (not
> talking about the reset sequence)? *Its the default that I know of.

And this is the instructions you are following? You are holding the
pound key down when you give the device power?

So you have a phone with a unknown password and the dhcp set to a
wacky ip , the obvious thing to do is a factory reset - but the method
has changed - so if you are getting nowhere with a phone try:

Hold down the # key, and plug in the power cable. When the message
"Reset Key Sequence Detected" appears on the LCD, release the # key,
and the three LED's (headset/mute/speaker), will start flashing.

The you need to enter the code:

123456789*0#

http://daniel.jp/joomla/info/cisco-i...7960-7940.html

Trendkill

On Aug 2, 1:13*pm, Trendkill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 2, 9:42*am, "swpa" <(E-Mail Removed)999.com> wrote:
>

> > Yes, *I tried both cisco and cisco123 from the menu and get invalid
> > password. *This is on the unlock config menu.

> > I have reset both SIP and SCCP phones before, I don't recall it being this
> > sensitive to a factory reset sequence entry and timing. *I followed to a T
> > the Cisco instructions on resetting sccp and sip 7900 series phones and
> > googled other links and get the same instructions.

> > The headset speaker mute lights do no do the normal flashing they intitiall
> > all quickly flash together, then the green speaker comes on for about a long
> > 30 seconds, then the red mute comes on for a long 30 seconds, then the
> > yellow speaker quickly flashes and starts to boot. *I never get the Keep
> > network cfg? 1 = yes 2 = no *prompt and the screen is blank while the before
> > mentions light sequence is taking place. *Again after I repower the phone
> > either by pulling the cord or doing the * 6 setting sequence which
> > immediately works, I hold the # key, get the three light together quickly
> > flash then the green light come on in which at this time I am *entering the
> > 123456789*0# sequence and see the blank display.

> > "Trendkill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >news:(E-Mail Removed)....
> > On Aug 2, 8:59 am, "swpa" <(E-Mail Removed)999.com> wrote:

> > > I have several links to reset a SIP 7960 phone back to reset, and have
> > > tried
> > > the reset sequence several times and varied the timings, but these phones
> > > will not accept the reset sequence, would something else be preventing the
> > > phones from accepting the reset sequence such as firmware?

> > > "Trendkill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > >news:(E-Mail Removed)....

> > > I'm guessing you tried cisco123 as the password?

> > Have you tried cisco123 as the password to unlock the config (not
> > talking about the reset sequence)? *Its the default that I know of.

> When you hold the # key, does it prompt you with: "Reset key sequence
> detected"? *I'm doing some googling as well, this looks like a tough
> one.

And any chance a key is broken or not being recognized? All the
things I'm finding say the sequence is what you are doing, so I'm
wondering if this is a simple problem. Are you having the issue with
other 7960s, or just one?