Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCITP > Scheduling exams up-front

Scheduling exams up-front

ewoods

I'm just beginning to study for my MCITP:SA and I had someone in my
organization who's an MCSE tell me that it helps to schedule the exams a few
months out before you even begin studying because then it gives you a
deadline and keeps you on track. Would anyone agree with this? How far out
can you schedule the exams?

John R

"ewoods" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm just beginning to study for my MCITP:SA and I had someone in my
> organization who's an MCSE tell me that it helps to schedule the exams a
> few
> months out before you even begin studying because then it gives you a
> deadline and keeps you on track. Would anyone agree with this? How far
> out
> can you schedule the exams?

In general, I agree with him that if you are serious, you need to set goals
and have motivation to achieve them. However, I walked in on all of my
exams except one. Once I felt I was ready, I picked a day one or two days
out and said I was going, and I went. My motivation was sufficient that I
didn't need to try to trick myself. Maybe that worked for him, and that's
great. Maybe it will work for you, maybe it won't. Because let's face it,
if you can schedule an exam, you can reschedule an exam.

I do not know how far out in advance you can schedule. You would probably
have to ask your nearest Prometric testing center. Or, go to their website
and maybe the answer is on there.

Good luck to you.

John R.

JD

JD, a computer geek in Phoenix, AZ

"John R" wrote:

> "ewoods" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm just beginning to study for my MCITP:SA and I had someone in my
> > organization who's an MCSE tell me that it helps to schedule the exams a
> > few
> > months out before you even begin studying because then it gives you a
> > deadline and keeps you on track. Would anyone agree with this? How far
> > out
> > can you schedule the exams?

> In general, I agree with him that if you are serious, you need to set goals
> and have motivation to achieve them. However, I walked in on all of my
> exams except one. Once I felt I was ready, I picked a day one or two days
> out and said I was going, and I went. My motivation was sufficient that I
> didn't need to try to trick myself. Maybe that worked for him, and that's
> great. Maybe it will work for you, maybe it won't. Because let's face it,
> if you can schedule an exam, you can reschedule an exam.
>
> I do not know how far out in advance you can schedule. You would probably
> have to ask your nearest Prometric testing center. Or, go to their website
> and maybe the answer is on there.
>
> Good luck to you.
>
> John R.

I agree; schedule them ahead of time. Puts a gun to your head and makes you
study.

Also, there is one other reason to do so: the main place that I take my
tests in Phoenix is Interface TT. They have only four positions for test
takers, and often all of their spaces get booked up quite a bit in advance. I
know that if I want to take a test on a specific day at a specific time, I
need to book it a couple of weeks ahead to make sure I get the day/time that
I want, otherwise, you might not get the one you want. "The early bird gets
the worm" so to speak...

Andrew B

I am going for my first MCTS:70-620 - Vista.

I set a target of 2 months to study and take my exam, so far I'm on track.

I've had setbacks due to change of jobs etc. So I'm glad I didn't give
myself any unnecessary pressure.

Also 2 of the chapters require me to take extra revision as they are area's
I've not focused on in the past. This could have set me back if I booked in
advance.

I'm just gonna wait til I'm ready and then book in a week later.

I hope this helps.