Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Re: Hmm..0870

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Hmm..0870

 
 
Roger Mills
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2009
In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
Russell Hafter News <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
> In response to consumer concerns, Ofcom have reviewed the
> use of 0870 numbers in the UK and are introducing new
> rules, effective from 1 August 2009, to stop the charging
> of higher prices for calls to 0870 numbers from fixed
> lines.
>


I assume that the reference to 'fixed lines' means that this directive
doesn't apply to mobiles.

But where does that leave:
1. Indirect operators such as 18866 ?
2. VoIP ?

Both call18866 and voip.co.uk are still quoting 8 or 9 ppm for daytime calls
to 0870 numbers. Is there any requirement for either or both to bring these
into line with 01/02/03 calls?
--
Cheers,
Roger
______
Email address maintained for newsgroup use only, and not regularly
monitored.. Messages sent to it may not be read for several weeks.
PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jono
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2009
Roger Mills wrote on 30/07/2009 :
> In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
> Russell Hafter News <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>
>> In response to consumer concerns, Ofcom have reviewed the
>> use of 0870 numbers in the UK and are introducing new
>> rules, effective from 1 August 2009, to stop the charging
>> of higher prices for calls to 0870 numbers from fixed
>> lines.
>>

>
> I assume that the reference to 'fixed lines' means that this directive
> doesn't apply to mobiles.
>
> But where does that leave:
> 1. Indirect operators such as 18866 ?
> 2. VoIP ?
>
> Both call18866 and voip.co.uk are still quoting 8 or 9 ppm for daytime calls
> to 0870 numbers. Is there any requirement for either or both to bring these
> into line with 01/02/03 calls?


There is no requirement for a CP to bring them in to line with
01/02/03. As the wholesale cost of calling 0870 is much mucg higher
than the whoilesale cost of geo numbers, if it were enforced, CPs may
have to increase call charges to 01/02/03.

The actual wording from Ofcom is:

We have decided not to require the use of pricing announcements and are
presenting modified proposals

1.6 We are proposing that we should implement the changes to the way
0870 calls are charged but have modified our proposals in the light of
the problems that might be caused by announcements. Instead of
announcements we are proposing that CPs wishing to charge more for 0870
calls than for geographic calls would be subject to new requirements to
display their 0870 charges prominently on price lists and advertising/
promotional materials


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Roger Mills
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2009
In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
Roger Mills <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
> Russell Hafter News <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>
>> In response to consumer concerns, Ofcom have reviewed the
>> use of 0870 numbers in the UK and are introducing new
>> rules, effective from 1 August 2009, to stop the charging
>> of higher prices for calls to 0870 numbers from fixed
>> lines.
>>

>
> I assume that the reference to 'fixed lines' means that this directive
> doesn't apply to mobiles.
>
> But where does that leave:
> 1. Indirect operators such as 18866 ?
> 2. VoIP ?
>
> Both call18866 and voip.co.uk are still quoting 8 or 9 ppm for
> daytime calls to 0870 numbers. Is there any requirement for either or
> both to bring these into line with 01/02/03 calls?



To (partially) answer my own question:

I emailed both Call18866 and voip.co.uk to ask them how they were responding
to the Ofcom directive.

I haven't had a reply from call18866 - now why doesn't that surprise
me(?!) - and their tariff list is still showing 9ppm on weekdays.

*However*, voip.co.uk did respond - saying that they were bringing 0870
calls into line with 01/02/03 calls. They didn't actually achieve it on 1st
August (or, if they *did*, it wasn't reflected in their published tariff)
*but* - as of about lunchtime today, they are now showing UK 'National Rate'
calls as being 1ppm at all times - the same a geographic numbers.

RESULT!!
--
Cheers,
Roger
______
Email address maintained for newsgroup use only, and not regularly
monitored.. Messages sent to it may not be read for several weeks.
PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Rufus Stone
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2009
On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 14:34:42 +0100, "Roger Mills"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>*However*, voip.co.uk did respond - saying that they were bringing 0870
>calls into line with 01/02/03 calls. They didn't actually achieve it on 1st
>August (or, if they *did*, it wasn't reflected in their published tariff)
>*but* - as of about lunchtime today, they are now showing UK 'National Rate'
>calls as being 1ppm at all times - the same a geographic numbers.
>
>RESULT!!


One thing some voip.co.uk customers may not be aware of is that they
have withdrawn their 'UK Monthly Bundle'. Only older residential
customers have (had) this package and kept it by keeping their
accounts in credit.

According to voip.co.uk:-

"Due to the recent changes regarding 0870 NTS numbers we've had to
revoke the UK pack as this cannot support the required alteration. But
continuing to offer the UK Pack after August 1st 2009 without the
support for 0870 numbers the UK Pack we would be in breach of the new
Ofcom regulation."

If you were on this package you will probably find that it has now
gone and you will now be paying 1ppm for each UK call.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Roger Mills
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2009
In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
Rufus Stone <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
> "Due to the recent changes regarding 0870 NTS numbers we've had to
> revoke the UK pack as this cannot support the required alteration. But
> continuing to offer the UK Pack after August 1st 2009 without the
> support for 0870 numbers the UK Pack we would be in breach of the new
> Ofcom regulation."
>
> If you were on this package you will probably find that it has now
> gone and you will now be paying 1ppm for each UK call.


No, I was never on this package. It's not been available to new starters for
quite a while, although it *was* available when I first started using
voip.co.uk An analysis of my call patterns convinced me that it wouldn't
save me anything anyway, so I'm not too bothered by its withdrawal -
although I appreciate that some people might be. [I spend less than 2 per
month on voip calls at 1ppm, especially now that I get free BT evening and
weekend calls.]
--
Cheers,
Roger
______
Email address maintained for newsgroup use only, and not regularly
monitored.. Messages sent to it may not be read for several weeks.
PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Roger Mills
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2009
In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
Jono <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
> They [voip.co.uk] obviously don't understand the "regulation".
>
> call18866 do though. They're perfectly entitled to charge whatever
> they want for calls to 0870, providing their price list states so
> clearly.


.. . . and provided they don't describe them as 'National Rate' - which they
don't, so they'll probably carry on charging 9ppm on weekdays. I won't be
making any 0870 calls via their service!
--
Cheers,
Roger
______
Email address maintained for newsgroup use only, and not regularly
monitored.. Messages sent to it may not be read for several weeks.
PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Urban Fox
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2009
On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 20:48:19 +0100, Jono <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>They obviously don't understand the "regulation".


Some of the cynics amongst us might think that this was a good
opportunity to remove a less profitable plan from the portfolio.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Advertisments