Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > can't move tabs from one window to another with the tab bar hidden

can't move tabs from one window to another with the tab bar hidden

Trevor Smithson

So with 3.0 if I had two FF windows open I could drag a tab from one
window to the second FF window and it would open in the second window.

Now with 3.5 if I do the same thing a third window opens and the
original tab is closed. I tried this with the tab bar shown, and it
does work if you drag the tab to the small tab bar area. But I don't
like having the tab bar shown at all times, or having to drag it to
this very small area.

How do I get 3.5 to work like 3.0 did?

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Trevor Smithson wrote:
> So with 3.0 if I had two FF windows open I could drag a tab from one
> window to the second FF window and it would open in the second window.
>
> Now with 3.5 if I do the same thing a third window opens and the
> original tab is closed. I tried this with the tab bar shown, and it
> does work if you drag the tab to the small tab bar area. But I don't
> like having the tab bar shown at all times, or having to drag it to
> this very small area.
>
> How do I get 3.5 to work like 3.0 did?

just tested it and it works the same in both versions.
Perhaps you have an addon that is causing the
problem, or maybe you need a special addon. Or, maybe
you need to check your settings: Tools, Options, Tabs.

help!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Trevor Smithson

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 18:27:53 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Trevor Smithson wrote:
>> So with 3.0 if I had two FF windows open I could drag a tab from one
>> window to the second FF window and it would open in the second window.
>>
>> Now with 3.5 if I do the same thing a third window opens and the
>> original tab is closed. I tried this with the tab bar shown, and it
>> does work if you drag the tab to the small tab bar area. But I don't
>> like having the tab bar shown at all times, or having to drag it to
>> this very small area.
>>
>> How do I get 3.5 to work like 3.0 did?

>just tested it and it works the same in both versions.
> Perhaps you have an addon that is causing the
>problem, or maybe you need a special addon. Or, maybe
>you need to check your settings: Tools, Options, Tabs.

I tried in safe mode and it does the same thing. How does it work in
3.5 for you? Can you drag a tab from one window to another without
having the tab bar visible?

Rom

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 17:01:52 -0500, Trevor Smithson wrote:

> So with 3.0 if I had two FF windows open I could drag a tab from one
> window to the second FF window and it would open in the second window.
>
> Now with 3.5 if I do the same thing a third window opens and the
> original tab is closed. I tried this with the tab bar shown, and it
> does work if you drag the tab to the small tab bar area. But I don't
> like having the tab bar shown at all times, or having to drag it to
> this very small area.
>
> How do I get 3.5 to work like 3.0 did?

Firefox 3.5 introduced some new features and changes that affect what
you're wanting to do, such as tab tearing and the tab bar always
showing is the default now.

I'm not sure if you can do what you're wanting to do in Fx 3.5, but
the "Tab To Window" extension
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2062>,
may help via its context menu rather than dragging.

There's also an extension to disable the tab tearing in Fx 3.5:
"bug489729 (Disable detach and tear off tab)"
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/12276>.

Some tab tweaks for Fx 3.5:
<http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2009/07/disable-tab-tearing-and-six-other-firefox-3-5-tab-tweaks/>

--
Rom

fatsteve

Rom wrote:
> There's also an extension to disable the tab tearing in Fx 3.5:
> "bug489729 (Disable detach and tear off tab)"
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/12276>.

Cool. I was annoyed and confused as to why a new window was sometimes
opening. Works great, Thanks for the info.

Trevor Smithson

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 12:09:30 +1000, Rom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 17:01:52 -0500, Trevor Smithson wrote:
>
>> So with 3.0 if I had two FF windows open I could drag a tab from one
>> window to the second FF window and it would open in the second window.
>>
>> Now with 3.5 if I do the same thing a third window opens and the
>> original tab is closed. I tried this with the tab bar shown, and it
>> does work if you drag the tab to the small tab bar area. But I don't
>> like having the tab bar shown at all times, or having to drag it to
>> this very small area.
>>
>> How do I get 3.5 to work like 3.0 did?

>Firefox 3.5 introduced some new features and changes that affect what
>you're wanting to do, such as tab tearing and the tab bar always
>showing is the default now.
>
>I'm not sure if you can do what you're wanting to do in Fx 3.5, but
>the "Tab To Window" extension
><https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2062>,
>may help via its context menu rather than dragging.
>
>There's also an extension to disable the tab tearing in Fx 3.5:
>"bug489729 (Disable detach and tear off tab)"
><https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/12276>.
>
>Some tab tweaks for Fx 3.5:
><http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2009/07/disable-tab-tearing-and-six-other-firefox-3-5-tab-tweaks/>

Thanks I'll check these out.

Trevor Smithson

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 23:38:50 -0500, Trevor Smithson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 12:09:30 +1000, Rom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 17:01:52 -0500, Trevor Smithson wrote:
>>
>>> So with 3.0 if I had two FF windows open I could drag a tab from one
>>> window to the second FF window and it would open in the second window.
>>>
>>> Now with 3.5 if I do the same thing a third window opens and the
>>> original tab is closed. I tried this with the tab bar shown, and it
>>> does work if you drag the tab to the small tab bar area. But I don't
>>> like having the tab bar shown at all times, or having to drag it to
>>> this very small area.
>>>
>>> How do I get 3.5 to work like 3.0 did?

>>Firefox 3.5 introduced some new features and changes that affect what
>>you're wanting to do, such as tab tearing and the tab bar always
>>showing is the default now.
>>
>>I'm not sure if you can do what you're wanting to do in Fx 3.5, but
>>the "Tab To Window" extension
>><https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2062>,
>>may help via its context menu rather than dragging.
>>
>>There's also an extension to disable the tab tearing in Fx 3.5:
>>"bug489729 (Disable detach and tear off tab)"
>><https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/12276>.
>>
>>Some tab tweaks for Fx 3.5:
>><http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2009/07/disable-tab-tearing-and-six-other-firefox-3-5-tab-tweaks/>

>Thanks I'll check these out.

Some good stuff there but nothing worked for this particular issue.
Ended up downgrading back to 3.0.12.

fatsteve

Trevor Smithson wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 23:38:50 -0500, Trevor Smithson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Firefox 3.5 introduced some new features and changes that affect what
>>> you're wanting to do, such as tab tearing and the tab bar always
>>> showing is the default now.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if you can do what you're wanting to do in Fx 3.5, but
>>> the "Tab To Window" extension
>>> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2062>,
>>> may help via its context menu rather than dragging.
>>>
>>> There's also an extension to disable the tab tearing in Fx 3.5:
>>> "bug489729 (Disable detach and tear off tab)"
>>> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/12276>.
>>>
>>> Some tab tweaks for Fx 3.5:
>>> <http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2009/07/disable-tab-tearing-and-six-other-firefox-3-5-tab-tweaks/>

>> Thanks I'll check these out.

> Some good stuff there but nothing worked for this particular issue.
> Ended up downgrading back to 3.0.12.

The addon "bug489729 (Disable detach and tear off tab)" works but after
installing you first have to go to the addon options and check the box
"Disable detatch tab"

fatsteve

fatsteve wrote:
> Trevor Smithson wrote:
>> On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 23:38:50 -0500, Trevor Smithson
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Thanks I'll check these out.

>> Some good stuff there but nothing worked for this particular issue.
>> Ended up downgrading back to 3.0.12.

> The addon "bug489729 (Disable detach and tear off tab)" works but after
> installing you first have to go to the addon options and check the box
> "Disable detatch tab"

Whoops. Maybe that's not what you meant. I didn't read the whole
thread properly, again.