Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Textarea question

Re: Textarea question

Tim Streater

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:

> sheldonlg wrote:
> > I have what should be a simple question. On a form with a textarea, how
> > do you make it so that the user can start a new paragraph? Hitting
> > Enter causes the page to submit. I have searched in Google, but all I
> > have found is how to put text in there pro programmatically so that
> > there are separate paragraphs. i know it can be done since I have seen
> > sites that have it.
> >
> > I am including the javascript newsgroup in case it requires js to work.

> Adding to this question: Is it possible to force a new line in a text
> field? If so, how do we do that so that the user can type it in?

It would also be nice if one could have the textarea expand vertically
to accommodate all the text it contains. I've had to do this by
adjusting the number of lines in an approximate way - not very
satisfactory.

--
Tim

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Tim Streater <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:
>
> > sheldonlg wrote:
> > > I have what should be a simple question. On a form with a textarea, how
> > > do you make it so that the user can start a new paragraph? Hitting
> > > Enter causes the page to submit. I have searched in Google, but all I
> > > have found is how to put text in there pro programmatically so that
> > > there are separate paragraphs. i know it can be done since I have seen
> > > sites that have it.
> > >
> > > I am including the javascript newsgroup in case it requires js to work.

> > Adding to this question: Is it possible to force a new line in a text
> > field? If so, how do we do that so that the user can type it in?

> It would also be nice if one could have the textarea expand vertically
> to accommodate all the text it contains. I've had to do this by
> adjusting the number of lines in an approximate way - not very
> satisfactory.

As a maker of forms, be generous in the first place, vertical space on a
web page is not gold dust. As a user, you have at least two options to
deal with the miserly, pinched, ungenerous, mean, insensitive, silly,
practice of teensy weensy text areas: use a text editor of some sort and
cut and paste, or use what amounts to a tailored automatic version of
this specially for text areas on the Firefox browser, "It's all text",
an add-on.

But you are right that it would be nice for this to happen auto while
typing away. There are some scripting solutions. Take a look, for
example at this discussion:

<http://markos.gaivo.net/blog/?p=198>

--
dorayme

Tim Streater

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Tim Streater <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]

> > It would also be nice if one could have the textarea expand vertically
> > to accommodate all the text it contains. I've had to do this by
> > adjusting the number of lines in an approximate way - not very
> > satisfactory.

> As a maker of forms, be generous in the first place, vertical space on a
> web page is not gold dust. As a user, you have at least two options to
> deal with the miserly, pinched, ungenerous, mean, insensitive, silly,
> practice of teensy weensy text areas: use a text editor of some sort and
> cut and paste, or use what amounts to a tailored automatic version of
> this specially for text areas on the Firefox browser, "It's all text",
> an add-on.
>
> But you are right that it would be nice for this to happen auto while
> typing away. There are some scripting solutions. Take a look, for
> example at this discussion:
>
> <http://markos.gaivo.net/blog/?p=198>

Thanks for the pointer; I will read it through.

--
Tim