Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Still can't get VMWare to work on Win7 x64

Still can't get VMWare to work on Win7 x64

TMA

I've tried several things now. Since RC build 7100 until now, RTM build
7600.16385 64-bit, I still can't run VMWare under Win7.

Here's the error message I get after installing VMWare v6.5.2.156735
successfully and trying to run VMWare Workstation:
"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not
have appropriate permissions to access the file."

Tried to reinstall several times, installed in different paths (I originally
like to have a partitions "P:\" just to hold the apps I install in my
system), no success. If I install the same program in my good old XP x64
machine, it will work.

Does anyone have a clue of why this is happening?

All other programs here seem to run flawlessly.

Bobby Johnson

I would tend to think it may indicate some compatibility problem. You
have posted this same problem more than once and I have responded more
than once that I am running VMware-workstation-6.5.1-126130 on Win 7 x64
without incident for some time now.

Why don't you download the newer version and try it?

TMA wrote:
> I've tried several things now. Since RC build 7100 until now, RTM build
> 7600.16385 64-bit, I still can't run VMWare under Win7.
>
> Here's the error message I get after installing VMWare v6.5.2.156735
> successfully and trying to run VMWare Workstation:
> "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not
> have appropriate permissions to access the file."
>
> Tried to reinstall several times, installed in different paths (I
> originally like to have a partitions "P:\" just to hold the apps I
> install in my system), no success. If I install the same program in my
> good old XP x64 machine, it will work.
>
> Does anyone have a clue of why this is happening?
>
> All other programs here seem to run flawlessly.

Bobby Johnson

P.S.

You must "Run as administrator" to install it

and

You must "Run as administrator" also.

Bobby Johnson wrote:
> I would tend to think it may indicate some compatibility problem. You
> have posted this same problem more than once and I have responded more
> than once that I am running VMware-workstation-6.5.1-126130 on Win 7 x64
> without incident for some time now.
>
> Why don't you download the newer version and try it?
>

> TMA wrote:
>> I've tried several things now. Since RC build 7100 until now, RTM
>> build 7600.16385 64-bit, I still can't run VMWare under Win7.
>>
>> Here's the error message I get after installing VMWare v6.5.2.156735
>> successfully and trying to run VMWare Workstation:
>> "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may
>> not have appropriate permissions to access the file."
>>
>> Tried to reinstall several times, installed in different paths (I
>> originally like to have a partitions "P:\" just to hold the apps I
>> install in my system), no success. If I install the same program in my
>> good old XP x64 machine, it will work.
>>
>> Does anyone have a clue of why this is happening?
>>
>> All other programs here seem to run flawlessly.

TMA

Hi Bobby,

Yes, I have posted more than once and you have answered more than once and I
have re-installed it a looooooooot more than just once. And it still doesn't
work. That's the second download of a different version of this app and
still no luck.

I've tried the "Run As Administrator" trick for both the installer and the
app itself. No go.

I posted again to see if there's anyone having the same problems so we could
share some experiences.

Thanks for your attention.

Bobby Johnson

So, are you saying that VMware-workstation-6.5.1-126130 won't work for
you either?

If that's the case, then perhaps you should see what you can find in
your system that is causing problems. Even in the Technet Windows 7
forum there are several comments about running VMware on Win 7 because
of the flaky feature support in VPC 2007 and Win XP VPC for Win 7.

TMA wrote:
> Hi Bobby,
>
> Yes, I have posted more than once and you have answered more than once
> and I have re-installed it a looooooooot more than just once. And it
> still doesn't work. That's the second download of a different version of
> this app and still no luck.
>
> I've tried the "Run As Administrator" trick for both the installer and
> the app itself. No go.
>
> I posted again to see if there's anyone having the same problems so we
> could share some experiences.
>
> Thanks for your attention.

TMA

I'm really not sure what could be causing this problem. I have recently
upgraded my mother board and video card, as well as installing Windows 7
itself.
In the past few weeks, I have fresh-installed win7 quite a bunch of times,
but I've never tried to install VMWare before anything else. I mean, it
could be one of the other drivers/applications, but it could also be my BIOS
settings because this processor that I have doesn't have VT (I heard it is
required for VMWare).

"Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> So, are you saying that VMware-workstation-6.5.1-126130 won't work for you
> either?
>
> If that's the case, then perhaps you should see what you can find in your
> system that is causing problems. Even in the Technet Windows 7 forum
> there are several comments about running VMware on Win 7 because of the
> flaky feature support in VPC 2007 and Win XP VPC for Win 7.
>

> TMA wrote:
>> Hi Bobby,
>>
>> Yes, I have posted more than once and you have answered more than once
>> and I have re-installed it a looooooooot more than just once. And it
>> still doesn't work. That's the second download of a different version of
>> this app and still no luck.
>>
>> I've tried the "Run As Administrator" trick for both the installer and
>> the app itself. No go.
>>
>> I posted again to see if there's anyone having the same problems so we
>> could share some experiences.
>>
>> Thanks for your attention.

Bobby Johnson

According to the System Requirement for VMware Workstation VT is only
required if want to install 64-bit guests.

TMA wrote:
> I'm really not sure what could be causing this problem. I have recently
> upgraded my mother board and video card, as well as installing Windows 7
> itself.
> In the past few weeks, I have fresh-installed win7 quite a bunch of
> times, but I've never tried to install VMWare before anything else. I
> mean, it could be one of the other drivers/applications, but it could
> also be my BIOS settings because this processor that I have doesn't have
> VT (I heard it is required for VMWare).
>
> "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> So, are you saying that VMware-workstation-6.5.1-126130 won't work for
>> you either?
>>
>> If that's the case, then perhaps you should see what you can find in
>> your system that is causing problems. Even in the Technet Windows 7
>> forum there are several comments about running VMware on Win 7 because
>> of the flaky feature support in VPC 2007 and Win XP VPC for Win 7.
>>

>> TMA wrote:
>>> Hi Bobby,
>>>
>>> Yes, I have posted more than once and you have answered more than
>>> once and I have re-installed it a looooooooot more than just once.
>>> And it still doesn't work. That's the second download of a different
>>> version of this app and still no luck.
>>>
>>> I've tried the "Run As Administrator" trick for both the installer
>>> and the app itself. No go.
>>>
>>> I posted again to see if there's anyone having the same problems so
>>> we could share some experiences.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your attention.

TMA

For those who might concern .... I found the solution
It resides on a program FixCamera.exe that has to be shut down before
lauching VMWare and/or Virtual PC.
After killing this process, which seems to be related to my webcam, VMWare
and Virtual PC will run flawlessly.

"TMA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've tried several things now. Since RC build 7100 until now, RTM build
> 7600.16385 64-bit, I still can't run VMWare under Win7.
>
> Here's the error message I get after installing VMWare v6.5.2.156735
> successfully and trying to run VMWare Workstation:
> "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not
> have appropriate permissions to access the file."
>
> Tried to reinstall several times, installed in different paths (I
> originally like to have a partitions "P:\" just to hold the apps I install
> in my system), no success. If I install the same program in my good old XP
> x64 machine, it will work.
>
> Does anyone have a clue of why this is happening?
>
> All other programs here seem to run flawlessly.

devsanghani devsanghani is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMA
For those who might concern .... I found the solution
It resides on a program FixCamera.exe that has to be shut down before
lauching VMWare and/or Virtual PC.
After killing this process, which seems to be related to my webcam, VMWare
and Virtual PC will run flawlessly.
> [/color]
Thanks a mil! Started working.

martulka669 martulka669 is offline
Junior Member

TMA you are my god ! it works for me ! thanks. i would never find out myself that this program cause that. this cheap webcam sucks