Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Re: Roaming about the office

Re: Roaming about the office

GTS

Yes. Same SSID, different channel, same encryption key is the proper
configuration for warless roaming. It usually works well. It's best not to
'roam' while doing something like a large download as there is a blip of
interruption while changing connections.
--

"Brian Cryer" <not.here@localhost> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I currently use two wireless access points to provide wireless access to
>two offices and each is configured to use a separate channel and separate
>SID, although both connect onto the same wired network. These offices are
>next to each other. If I use the same SID (and key) on each then would
>people automatically connect to the access point with the strongest signal
>or is there more to it than that?
>
> Thanks.

Jack-MVP

Hi
What GTS posted above is your best chance.
However many Wireless Access Points do not support real seamless Roaming.
So take the best that you can and do not get disappointed.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"Brian Cryer" <not.here@localhost> wrote in message
news:%23Hv%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you, when I get a spare moment I'll change our setup.
>
> "GTS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes. Same SSID, different channel, same encryption key is the proper
>> configuration for warless roaming. It usually works well. It's best not
>> to 'roam' while doing something like a large download as there is a blip
>> of interruption while changing connections.
>> --
>>
>> "Brian Cryer" <not.here@localhost> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I currently use two wireless access points to provide wireless access to
>>>two offices and each is configured to use a separate channel and separate
>>>SID, although both connect onto the same wired network. These offices are
>>>next to each other. If I use the same SID (and key) on each then would
>>>people automatically connect to the access point with the strongest
>>>signal or is there more to it than that?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

GTS

You're welcome.