Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Replacement PSU for D-Link - Amperage rating question.

Replacement PSU for D-Link - Amperage rating question.

Lodi

Hi all...My D-Link router power supply pack died. Nearly four years of
24/7-ish use so I can't complain.

Just googling around for a replacement unit. The dead unit is rated 5V 2.0A

D-Link support apparently recommend a MP3140 which is rated 5V 2.5A
http://tinyurl.com/n742mb

The nearest Jaycars do is MP3480 which is rated 5V 3.0A
http://tinyurl.com/nhkzsr

There is a switchable power supply unit (3v-12v @ 2.5V) but it's way too
expensive. $60-ish.

Is the difference between the original 5V 2.0A and a likely replacement of
5V 3.0A acceptable. I thought less resistance was a good thing.

Regards
Lodi

Squiggle

Lodi wrote:
> Hi all...My D-Link router power supply pack died. Nearly four years of
> 24/7-ish use so I can't complain.
>
> Just googling around for a replacement unit. The dead unit is rated 5V 2.0A
>
> D-Link support apparently recommend a MP3140 which is rated 5V 2.5A
> http://tinyurl.com/n742mb
>
> The nearest Jaycars do is MP3480 which is rated 5V 3.0A
> http://tinyurl.com/nhkzsr
>
> There is a switchable power supply unit (3v-12v @ 2.5V) but it's way too
> expensive. $60-ish.
>
> Is the difference between the original 5V 2.0A and a likely replacement of
> 5V 3.0A acceptable. I thought less resistance was a good thing.
>
> Regards
> Lodi

The Jaycar supply is not only acceptable, but also could be considered
an upgrade. Its able to supply 50% more current at the rated voltage.

Just make sure that you get the Dc plug connected the right way round in
case Dlink did not reverse polarity protect the router.

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 21:19:19 +1200, Lodi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<news:h4mg79$irv$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>:

> Hi all...My D-Link router power supply pack died. Nearly four years of
> 24/7-ish use so I can't complain.
>
> Just googling around for a replacement unit. The dead unit is rated 5V 2.0A
>
> D-Link support apparently recommend a MP3140 which is rated 5V 2.5A
> http://tinyurl.com/n742mb
>
> The nearest Jaycars do is MP3480 which is rated 5V 3.0A
> http://tinyurl.com/nhkzsr
>
> There is a switchable power supply unit (3v-12v @ 2.5V) but it's way too
> expensive. $60-ish.
>
> Is the difference between the original 5V 2.0A and a likely replacement of
> 5V 3.0A acceptable. I thought less resistance was a good thing.
>
> Regards
> Lodi

The Jaycar MP3480 with its 3A rating would be perfectly acceptable - in fact
a better option, perhaps, than the original which, at a 2A rating, might
have been slicing it a bit thin. The router will draw only as much current
as it needs.

--
- Nicolaas

peterwn

On Jul 28, 9:19*pm, Lodi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all...My D-Link router power supply pack died. Nearly four years of
> 24/7-ish use so I can't complain.
>
> Just googling around for a replacement unit. The dead unit is rated 5V 2.0A
>
> D-Link support apparently recommend a MP3140 which is rated 5V 2.5Ahttp://tinyurl.com/n742mb
>
> The nearest Jaycars do is MP3480 which is rated 5V 3.0Ahttp://tinyurl.com/nhkzsr
>
> There is a switchable power supply unit (3v-12v @ 2.5V) but it's way too
> expensive. $60-ish.
>
> Is the difference between the original 5V 2.0A and a likely replacement of
> 5V 3.0A acceptable. I thought less resistance was a good thing.
>
> Regards
> Lodi

Unless there are very peculiar and unusual circumstances, the 3.0A
unit should work just fine. The amperage of a replacement unit should
be at least that recommended by the equipment manufacturer.
Presumably the dead 2.0A unit was not the original one supplied, or
the manufacturer found that the 2.0A ones were too 'tight' especially
in tropical conditions where high ambient temperatures puts extra
stress on the transformers (example, in the power business I was quite
happy for a pole transformer to be 50% overloaded on a cold wet windy
night).

Richard

peterwn wrote:

> Unless there are very peculiar and unusual circumstances, the 3.0A
> unit should work just fine. The amperage of a replacement unit should
> be at least that recommended by the equipment manufacturer.

Dlink used the same 2.5a adapter across a load of products, I measured
my router as only taking 1.5 max during boot - infact one with a usb
port also only had a 2.5 despite powering the USB on it.

> Presumably the dead 2.0A unit was not the original one supplied, or
> the manufacturer found that the 2.0A ones were too 'tight' especially
> in tropical conditions where high ambient temperatures puts extra
> stress on the transformers (example, in the power business I was quite
> happy for a pole transformer to be 50% overloaded on a cold wet windy
> night).

I think the ones in united network must be permanently overloaded since
the one in the street here is only 200kva and there are probably over 70
houses on it. Is that quoted per phase? May be ok if thats the case.

Stephen Worthington

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 21:19:19 +1200, Lodi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all...My D-Link router power supply pack died. Nearly four years of
>24/7-ish use so I can't complain.

Uh - why can't you complain? Why should you accept that a power
supply dies after only 4 years? It should not have. It was probably
the victim of bad capacitors, which were seriously bad design
decisions. So maybe they should be replacing it under the CGA.

Lodi

> Stephen Worthington wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 21:19:19 +1200, Lodi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi all...My D-Link router power supply pack died. Nearly four years of
>>24/7-ish use so I can't complain.

> Uh - why can't you complain? Why should you accept that a power
> supply dies after only 4 years? It should not have. It was probably
> the victim of bad capacitors, which were seriously bad design
> decisions. So maybe they should be replacing it under the CGA.

Hi Stephen....I've had things break down on me by just casting a casual
glance in their direction. It's one of the few talents I have. Four years
from a piece of kit deserves a medal

To all who replied, many thanks. It's refreshing to see knowledge being
passed on instead of another OS flame thread.

Regards
Lodi

peterwn

On Jul 28, 10:33*pm, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(example, in the power business I was quite
> > happy for a pole transformer to be 50% overloaded on a cold wet windy
> > night).

> I think the ones in united network must be permanently overloaded since
> the one in the street here is only 200kva and there are probably over 70
> houses on it. Is that quoted per phase? May be ok if thats the case.

No it is 200kva across 3 phases ie 67kva per phase - good as kw as
power factor is pretty well unity at peak load in domestic areas.
200kva seems ample for 70 houses especially if some are on gas, 150kva
would probably do at a pinch. There is alot of diversity between
houses eg some people may have gone out at peak load time.

Simon

On Jul 29, 2:22*am, Stephen Worthington
<(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 21:19:19 +1200, Lodi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Hi all...My D-Link router power supply pack died. Nearly four years of
> >24/7-ish use so I can't complain.

> Uh - why can't you complain? *Why should you accept that a power
> supply dies after only 4 years? *It should not have. *It was probably
> the victim of bad capacitors, which were seriously bad design
> decisions. *So maybe they should be replacing it under the CGA.

For a non enterprise-class device, costing SFA, operating under 24/7
in non-optimal conditions (typically a cupboard, a basement etc.
probably without a UPS) lasting 4 years seems quite reasonable to me.

Stephen Worthington

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 15:33:02 -0700 (PDT), Simon <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Jul 29, 2:22*am, Stephen Worthington
><(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
>> On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 21:19:19 +1200, Lodi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >Hi all...My D-Link router power supply pack died. Nearly four years of
>> >24/7-ish use so I can't complain.

>> Uh - why can't you complain? *Why should you accept that a power
>> supply dies after only 4 years? *It should not have. *It was probably
>> the victim of bad capacitors, which were seriously bad design
>> decisions. *So maybe they should be replacing it under the CGA.

>For a non enterprise-class device, costing SFA, operating under 24/7
>in non-optimal conditions (typically a cupboard, a basement etc.
>probably without a UPS) lasting 4 years seems quite reasonable to me.

But why? Why should people expect such a short lifetime? It is not
hard to design a power supply right so that it lasts and lasts. A
very large proportion of the failures of electronic equipment recently
after only a short lifetime can be traced back to the use of
capacitors that fail after a very short working life. I would hope
that no manufacturer will still be using such capacitors - if they
are, then a failure of one is clearly a design fault on their part and
they should replace the equipment under the CGA. Without the bad
capacitors, then we get back to the traditional reasons for things
failing of old age, such as dry joints, or values of components
shifting a little with age. Those things typically take much longer.
I would certainly expect an absolute minimum of 7 years of operation
for a power supply, and any wholly electronic equipment.