Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows Activation (Already activated message) /HP NX9105 recovery disks

Windows Activation (Already activated message) /HP NX9105 recovery disks

Mark

Hi to all,

A friend of mine has a HP NX9105 notebook and recently gave it to someone to
'sort out'. The helpful person sorting it wiped the HDD and tried to
install XP etc using recovery disks from another brand/model computer.

It is all working, however many drivers had to be downloaded from HP to get
it all going. Product activation (XP Home) worked at the time (so I'm told)
and updates have been downloaded from Windows Update, including SP2 and
maybe even SP3.

The problem is now that the owner has switched the computer on for the first
time in a while, it's asking to be activated - when he hits whatever button
it is to activate now, it states that it is already activated and he can go
no further with it as it still asks to be activated - stuck in a kind of a
loop.

My thoughts are that the problem may stem from using restore disks from a
different computer (any thoughts on this please).

Anyway, now I've been asked about the problem and how to solve it I've run
round the internet and not come up with a lot. My suggestion to him would
be to use the original restore disks, however having searched around it
seems that some HP notebooks don't come with disks and the restore info is
on the HDD (Which has been wiped). I would have thought that if he had
original restore disks he would have given them up to the person who 'sorted
it out' for him.

Soooooo.......

any help would be appreciated....

Does anyone know a workaround for the 'it's already activated' problem?

Does anyone know where I may obtain a restore disk/disks for a HP NX9105 if
this is likely to solve the problem?

Many thanks,

Mark

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Just delete the "-NOSPAM-")

hwf

Mark <(E-Mail Removed)> pinched out a steaming pile
of<Slqbm.51297$(E-Mail Removed)2>:

> Hi to all,
>
> A friend of mine has a HP NX9105 notebook and recently gave it to

someone to
> 'sort out'. The helpful person sorting it wiped the HDD and tried to
> install XP etc using recovery disks from another brand/model

computer.

THat usually dosent work...

> It is all working, however many drivers had to be downloaded from HP

to get
> it all going. Product activation (XP Home) worked at the time (so

I'm told)
> and updates have been downloaded from Windows Update, including SP2

and
> maybe even SP3.

Interesting.

> The problem is now that the owner has switched the computer on for

the first
> time in a while, it's asking to be activated - when he hits whatever

button
> it is to activate now, it states that it is already activated and he

can go
> no further with it as it still asks to be activated - stuck in a kind

of a
> loop.

LULZ! Shoulda used TinyXP if you were going to steal from M$.

All that **** is taken care of for you.

Better luck next time.
Or you could use linux and avoid the legal hassles.

FYI
HTH

Andy

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Slqbm.51297$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>> Hi to all,
>>
>> A friend of mine has a HP NX9105 notebook and recently gave it to someone
>> 'sort out'. The helpful person sorting it wiped the HDD and tried to
>> install XP etc using recovery disks from another brand/model computer.
>>

> what an idiot

Lol.

Fix available here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download

A.
--
Registered Linux User #478766
Join the Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/

Mark

> any help would be appreciated....
>

> Many thanks,
>
> Mark
>
> (E-Mail Removed) (Just delete the "-NOSPAM-")

To all who have responded to my request for assistance - Thank you very
much. I have passed on all your responses to the owner of the computer and
hopefully he'll be able to get things working (unfortunately I live a few
hours up the road otherwise I'd be doing it)

Many thanks,

Mark.