Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't access my wireless access point - stays at "acquiring network address"

Can't access my wireless access point - stays at "acquiring network address"

Spin

Gurus,

When signing onto a wireless access point which is secured (locked), do I
simply need to provide it the encryption password to gain access to the
Internet? Because I've done so on the wireless access point here at my
brother's yet the little network icon in the bottom right-hand corner of the
screen keeps saying "acquiring network address" and never actually does. As
such, Internet Explorer opens to a "page cannot be displayed" error.

--
Spin

Bert Hyman

In news:(E-Mail Removed) "Spin" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> ... Because I've done so on the wireless access point
> here at my brother's yet the little network icon in the bottom
> right-hand corner of the screen keeps saying "acquiring network
> address" and never actually does.

Does your brother's AP have the DHCP server running, or is he using
static addressing?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Evan Platt

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 12:22:01 -0400, "Spin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Gurus,
>
>When signing onto a wireless access point which is secured (locked), do I
>simply need to provide it the encryption password to gain access to the
>Internet? Because I've done so on the wireless access point here at my
>brother's yet the little network icon in the bottom right-hand corner of the
>screen keeps saying "acquiring network address" and never actually does. As
>such, Internet Explorer opens to a "page cannot be displayed" error.

Have you asked your brother how his WAP is configured? There's a bunch
of different ways a AP can be configured, or a combination thereof:
Password
MAC Filtering
Static IP
DHCP

You may need to assign yourself an IP address. Or, if your brother has
MAC Filtering enabled, he may need to add your MAC address to the list
of approved devices. And then, he may need to assign your MAC address
a IP address. Or, you may need to assign yourself a static IP address.

Spin

"Bert Hyman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Does your brother's AP have the DHCP server running, or is he using
> static addressing?

I'll check..

chuckcar

"Spin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Gurus,
>
> When signing onto a wireless access point which is secured (locked), do
> I simply need to provide it the encryption password to gain access to
> the Internet? Because I've done so on the wireless access point here at
> my brother's yet the little network icon in the bottom right-hand corner
> of the screen keeps saying "acquiring network address" and never
> actually does. As such, Internet Explorer opens to a "page cannot be
> displayed" error.

Remove your router and try again.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Evan Platt

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 22:41:59 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Remove your router and try again.

Please ignore chucktards 'advice'.

M.L.

>> When signing onto a wireless access point which is secured (locked), do I
>> simply need to provide it the encryption password to gain access to the
>> Internet? Because I've done so on the wireless access point here at my
>> brother's yet the little network icon in the bottom right-hand corner of
>> the screen keeps saying "acquiring network address" and never actually
>> does. As such, Internet Explorer opens to a "page cannot be displayed"
>> error.

>go into the advanced area find the list of all networks ever connected to
>and delete the rubbish ones, also delete your brothers on restare give it a
>couple of minutest to sort it all out try again it will work if info entered
>is correct

Check the encryption type and see if a mac ID is needed, then set them
as necessary to add your account. Let the brother delete any accounts
if needed.

Spin

"M.L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>snipped>

Bert/Evan/Chuckar/mjsutton/M.L.-

I figured out my issue. I was an idiot. I was inputting the router's
password instead of the encryption key value into the field asking for that
information!

Evan Platt

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 19:21:02 -0400, "Spin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bert/Evan/Chuckar/mjsutton/M.L.-
>
>I figured out my issue. I was an idiot. I was inputting the router's
>password instead of the encryption key value into the field asking for that
>information!

Glad you got it figured out... And glad you didn't follow chucktards
advice. As you realized, it was useless and incorrect.

Spin

news:(E-Mail Removed)...