Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > ICS & Network Bridge

ICS & Network Bridge

Marco

My setup is a home situation with 4 PCs, XP SP2 (MCE 2005), a cable modem
for the internet, sharing the internet through a second network card and
windows ICS. Everything works fine. However I also have a wireless network
capabilty on my motherboard. If I chose to make the wireless network the
shared connection instead of the LAN, ICS works fine also.

The problem is that I would like to internet share BOTH the wirelss network
AND the LAN. So I disabled ICS and then bridged the LAN and the Wirelss.
Then I started ICS again, this time choosing the Network Bridge as the
shared connecion. Now the LAN can still get the internet but wireless
cannot. The wirless notebooks in the house cannot get an I.P address. Of
course I could go and buy a cable modem with wirelss and lan and it would
probably work (but I'm a Scotsman) and windows is supposed to be able to
achieve this.

I've tried disabling firewall and Antivirus and spyware but still nothing
works.

Am I missing something? Or is the network bridge implementation in windows a
bit flaky?

TIA

Marco Coppola

Steve Winograd [MVP]

In article <Oj$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Marco"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>My setup is a home situation with 4 PCs, XP SP2 (MCE 2005), a cable modem
>for the internet, sharing the internet through a second network card and
>windows ICS. Everything works fine. However I also have a wireless network
>capabilty on my motherboard. If I chose to make the wireless network the
>shared connection instead of the LAN, ICS works fine also.
>
>The problem is that I would like to internet share BOTH the wirelss network
>AND the LAN. So I disabled ICS and then bridged the LAN and the Wirelss.
>Then I started ICS again, this time choosing the Network Bridge as the
>shared connecion. Now the LAN can still get the internet but wireless
>cannot. The wirless notebooks in the house cannot get an I.P address. Of
>course I could go and buy a cable modem with wirelss and lan and it would
>probably work (but I'm a Scotsman) and windows is supposed to be able to
>achieve this.
>
>I've tried disabling firewall and Antivirus and spyware but still nothing
>works.
>
>Am I missing something? Or is the network bridge implementation in windows a
>bit flaky?
>

>TIA
>
>Marco Coppola

Not all network adapters can be bridged successfully, and some require
a minor network settings tweak. Please see this Microsoft Knowledge
Base article:

Bridge May Not Work With a Non-Promiscuous Mode Network Adapter
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=302348

It would probably be simpler to buy an inexpensive wireless router to
share the Internet connection and forget about ICS.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Marco

Thanks for the advice.

Checked out the microsoft article and tried the suggestion but it still
doesn't work. Looks like I'll have to part with some bucks....sigh...

news:(E-Mail Removed)...