Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Re: Windows 7

Re: Windows 7

Kerry Brown

Improved aero peek, jump lists, and pinned items on the task bar are my
faves. In general the UI is smoother. Many things have been optimized to
give a better (faster) user experience. If you're happy with Vista you'll
love Windows 7. If you have ignored Vista you'll have an even steeper
learning curve with Windows 7.

Things I don't like:

Homegroup - it's a step backwards for security.

Things that may be awesome in the next version of Windows:

Libraries - cool idea, not implemented very well. It can cause a lot of
frustration and can't be turned off.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"Steve Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I'm new to Windows 7. What do you think about the new features? Which one
> you like the most?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve Johnson

Bobby Johnson

Please expound as to why you think Homegroup is a step backwards for
security. The default password is randomly generated 10 characters of
mixed case which is a pretty secure password. And, it only works in a
home network environment. If you join a domain, the Homegroup is disabled.

I don't see the security hazard.

Kerry Brown wrote:
> Improved aero peek, jump lists, and pinned items on the task bar are my
> faves. In general the UI is smoother. Many things have been optimized to
> give a better (faster) user experience. If you're happy with Vista
> you'll love Windows 7. If you have ignored Vista you'll have an even
> steeper learning curve with Windows 7.
>
> Things I don't like:
>
> Homegroup - it's a step backwards for security.
>
> Things that may be awesome in the next version of Windows:
>
> Libraries - cool idea, not implemented very well. It can cause a lot of
> frustration and can't be turned off.

TMA

Libraries work fine with me. Not a problem at all.
I have a big HD and it makes things a lot easier to browse for my files, and
besides, it works like a charm.

"Kerry Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)*a*m> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Improved aero peek, jump lists, and pinned items on the task bar are my
> faves. In general the UI is smoother. Many things have been optimized to
> give a better (faster) user experience. If you're happy with Vista you'll
> love Windows 7. If you have ignored Vista you'll have an even steeper
> learning curve with Windows 7.
>
> Things I don't like:
>
> Homegroup - it's a step backwards for security.
>
> Things that may be awesome in the next version of Windows:
>
> Libraries - cool idea, not implemented very well. It can cause a lot of
> frustration and can't be turned off.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
>

> "Steve Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm new to Windows 7. What do you think about the new features? Which one
>> you like the most?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Steve Johnson

Kerry Brown

The problem actually occurs in Vista as well. I only found out about it when
testing Homegroups. If you share a folder in your profile, which Homegroups
does automatically, the whole \User branch is shared including other
profiles. I have talked to someone at Microsoft about this. Their position
is that the default ACLs and Access Based Enumeration is good enough. I say
it isn't. Many small businesses use home versions of Windows. I can easily
see this causing the inadvertent sharing of accounting, payroll, or other
confidential files. Many small businesses have very lax security which in
this case is exacerbated by folders being shared without their knowledge.
It's hard to mitigate a risk if you don't know the risk exists. I would much
rather see specific folders shared rather than the whole \User branch.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Please expound as to why you think Homegroup is a step backwards for
> security. The default password is randomly generated 10 characters of
> mixed case which is a pretty secure password. And, it only works in a
> home network environment. If you join a domain, the Homegroup is
> disabled.
>
> I don't see the security hazard.
>

> Kerry Brown wrote:
>> Improved aero peek, jump lists, and pinned items on the task bar are my
>> faves. In general the UI is smoother. Many things have been optimized to
>> give a better (faster) user experience. If you're happy with Vista you'll
>> love Windows 7. If you have ignored Vista you'll have an even steeper
>> learning curve with Windows 7.
>>
>> Things I don't like:
>>
>> Homegroup - it's a step backwards for security.
>>
>> Things that may be awesome in the next version of Windows:
>>
>> Libraries - cool idea, not implemented very well. It can cause a lot of
>> frustration and can't be turned off.

Kerry Brown

As implemented there are problems with network shares and it's not flexible
enough.

I'd like to be able to delete the default libraries then create my own.
Right now in my Documents library I have 409 files in "Text Document". In
there are nine documents called "admin_activate.txt". This is because I have
several web sites that use this file stored in several folders in My
Documents with backup copies stored in several folders in My Documents on
another computer which are also in my library. If I want to open the file
which one is the current one? It's not immediately obvious. I have folders
in the Documents library labeled "Microsoft Office Word 97-2003" and
"Microsoft Office Word". I guess I'm just supposed to remember which version
of Word I created a file with All of this would go away if I had more
choices of what I want to store in the Documents library and how I want it
organised.

It's also confusing as to where files are actually being saved. On a network
you may want certain files saved on a server that is backed up every day and
other files on the local computer. You may want confidential files in
special folders. It's not always obvious exactly where files are being
saved.

I really like the idea of libraries. If it's developed more in the next few
versions of Windows it may move us away from drive letters altogether. That
would be a very good thing. I like the idea of one big storage pool with the
actual details of where a particular file is stored obfuscated. You do need
a method however of marking a file as confidential, can be shared, can be
shared with these specific people, or needs to be backed up, etc. The
underlying infrastructure should then look after the details of making sure
it's stored in the right place with the right permissions. That and more
flexibility are the missing parts. Right now with two different paradigms
trying to organise the files it can turn into a big mess.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"TMA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Libraries work fine with me. Not a problem at all.
> I have a big HD and it makes things a lot easier to browse for my files,
> and besides, it works like a charm.
>
> "Kerry Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)*a*m> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Improved aero peek, jump lists, and pinned items on the task bar are my
>> faves. In general the UI is smoother. Many things have been optimized to
>> give a better (faster) user experience. If you're happy with Vista you'll
>> love Windows 7. If you have ignored Vista you'll have an even steeper
>> learning curve with Windows 7.
>>
>> Things I don't like:
>>
>> Homegroup - it's a step backwards for security.
>>
>> Things that may be awesome in the next version of Windows:
>>
>> Libraries - cool idea, not implemented very well. It can cause a lot of
>> frustration and can't be turned off.
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
>>

>> "Steve Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I'm new to Windows 7. What do you think about the new features? Which
>>> one you like the most?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Steve Johnson

tsperling

I am actually of two minds myself about much of what you are saying. For now
I've solved this by not setting up any Homegroup, and when the OS wants to
direct something into the Libraries, I have kept my own time honored method
of storage that I am sticking to for now. I am not aggressively opposing
these features, it's just that I realize I may need time to adjust, and if I
don't - then I will have learnt to ignore it all in a short time.

I was wondering, though, if your hopes for the future in the paragraph
below, isn't filled by the 'Skydrive' concept in Windows Live? And whether
any unwillingness from others to accept your doubts, might not be in view of
them knowing it will all be going onto the 'web' soon?

Tony. . .

"Kerry Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)*a*m> wrote in message
news:O$dkK#(E-Mail Removed)...
> As implemented there are problems with network shares and it's not
> flexible enough.
>

> I really like the idea of libraries. If it's developed more in the next
> few versions of Windows it may move us away from drive letters altogether.
> That would be a very good thing. I like the idea of one big storage pool
> with the actual details of where a particular file is stored obfuscated.
> You do need a method however of marking a file as confidential, can be
> shared, can be shared with these specific people, or needs to be backed
> up, etc. The underlying infrastructure should then look after the details
> of making sure it's stored in the right place with the right permissions.
> That and more flexibility are the missing parts. Right now with two
> different paradigms trying to organise the files it can turn into a big
> mess.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Kerry Brown

Yes, eventually the cloud could be part of your library. That's the beauty
of the library paradigm. Files can be anywhere the library can talk to.
You'd still need a way to mark/organise files similar to how we use drives,
folders, and permissions now.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"tsperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am actually of two minds myself about much of what you are saying. For
> now I've solved this by not setting up any Homegroup, and when the OS
> wants to direct something into the Libraries, I have kept my own time
> honored method of storage that I am sticking to for now. I am not
> aggressively opposing these features, it's just that I realize I may need
> time to adjust, and if I don't - then I will have learnt to ignore it all
> in a short time.
>
> I was wondering, though, if your hopes for the future in the paragraph
> below, isn't filled by the 'Skydrive' concept in Windows Live? And whether
> any unwillingness from others to accept your doubts, might not be in view
> of them knowing it will all be going onto the 'web' soon?
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "Kerry Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)*a*m> wrote in message
> news:O$dkK#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> As implemented there are problems with network shares and it's not
>> flexible enough.
>>

>> I really like the idea of libraries. If it's developed more in the next
>> few versions of Windows it may move us away from drive letters
>> altogether. That would be a very good thing. I like the idea of one big
>> storage pool with the actual details of where a particular file is stored
>> obfuscated. You do need a method however of marking a file as
>> confidential, can be shared, can be shared with these specific people, or
>> needs to be backed up, etc. The underlying infrastructure should then
>> look after the details of making sure it's stored in the right place with
>> the right permissions. That and more flexibility are the missing parts.
>> Right now with two different paradigms trying to organise the files it
>> can turn into a big mess.
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

tsperling

Quite!

What I was really driving at, though, was that perhaps the 'skydrive' is
considerably more flexible than what you give the 'libraries' credit for?

I have not scrutinized the subject yet, but apparently you can set distinct
permissions that would make it handy if you can keep the hierarchy in clear
mental view.

It sounds luring, if I get the hang on this I may have bought my last HD -
and my machine will be a diskless workstation, more or less?

(good grief!)

Tony. . .

"Kerry Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)*a*m> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, eventually the cloud could be part of your library. That's the beauty
> of the library paradigm. Files can be anywhere the library can talk to.
> You'd still need a way to mark/organise files similar to how we use
> drives, folders, and permissions now.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
>

> "tsperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am actually of two minds myself about much of what you are saying. For
>> now I've solved this by not setting up any Homegroup, and when the OS
>> wants to direct something into the Libraries, I have kept my own time
>> honored method of storage that I am sticking to for now. I am not
>> aggressively opposing these features, it's just that I realize I may
>> need time to adjust, and if I don't - then I will have learnt to ignore
>> it all in a short time.
>>
>> I was wondering, though, if your hopes for the future in the paragraph
>> below, isn't filled by the 'Skydrive' concept in Windows Live? And
>> whether any unwillingness from others to accept your doubts, might not be
>> in view of them knowing it will all be going onto the 'web' soon?
>>

>> Tony. . .
>>

>> "Kerry Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)*a*m> wrote in message
>> news:O$dkK#(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> As implemented there are problems with network shares and it's not
>>> flexible enough.
>>>

>>> I really like the idea of libraries. If it's developed more in the next
>>> few versions of Windows it may move us away from drive letters
>>> altogether. That would be a very good thing. I like the idea of one big
>>> storage pool with the actual details of where a particular file is
>>> stored obfuscated. You do need a method however of marking a file as
>>> confidential, can be shared, can be shared with these specific people,
>>> or needs to be backed up, etc. The underlying infrastructure should then
>>> look after the details of making sure it's stored in the right place
>>> with the right permissions. That and more flexibility are the missing
>>> parts. Right now with two different paradigms trying to organise the
>>> files it can turn into a big mess.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Kerry Brown
>>> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
>>> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Barb Bowman

I'm with you on this one, but I think that for the average casual
user, the whole homegroup/library model will work pretty well. (Time
will tell). I also think that for business/small business users that
this is not the right solution but it will be uphill sledding to
convince them of that..

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 14:33:23 -0700, "Kerry Brown"
<(E-Mail Removed)*a*m> wrote:

>It's also confusing as to where files are actually being saved. On a network
>you may want certain files saved on a server that is backed up every day and
>other files on the local computer. You may want confidential files in
>special folders. It's not always obvious exactly where files are being
>saved.

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

Kue2

Kerry
I agree with you, homegroup is a terrible setup.