Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Re: Windows 7

Re: Windows 7

XS11E

"Zootal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The challenge is to convince people that the new system is not
> only better then the old, but better enough to make it worth
> upgrading.

Exactly. I'm not exactly new at this, I ran Windows 3.0 and every
version since, beta tested many starting with Win95 through Vista
without any problems. Windows 7 is the first Windows I won't use, at
least until that start menu is fixed.

> IMNSHO, Microsoft made a big mistake by not having an
> XP compability mode in Windows 7. It's going to cost them a lot of
> sales.

Right, me for one!

The Usenet Improvement Project:

NetLink_Blue

XS11E wrote:
> NetLink_Blue <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Using Vista's/Win-7's "downhill" UI, if you start to type a folder
>> or program name in Start orb's Search Bar, the OS will quickly
>> list items to click on.

> That's so DOS 5.0 days! Typing is for old fogies, if it can't be done
> with a mouse click it's too old fashioned for me.

Classic Start menu for windows 7 ...

"http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2227/get-the-classic-start-menu-in-windows-7/"

good luck, Net_ski

Zootal

"NetLink_Blue" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> XS11E wrote:
>> NetLink_Blue <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Using Vista's/Win-7's "downhill" UI, if you start to type a folder
>>> or program name in Start orb's Search Bar, the OS will quickly
>>> list items to click on.

>> That's so DOS 5.0 days! Typing is for old fogies, if it can't be done
>> with a mouse click it's too old fashioned for me.
>>

> Classic Start menu for windows 7 ...
>
> "http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2227/get-the-classic-start-menu-in-windows-7/"
>
> good luck, Net_ski

Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful! Shame on Microsoft for not including this
functionality in Windows 7.

XS11E

NetLink_Blue <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> XS11E wrote:
>> NetLink_Blue <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Using Vista's/Win-7's "downhill" UI, if you start to type a
>>> folder or program name in Start orb's Search Bar, the OS will
>>> quickly list items to click on.

>> That's so DOS 5.0 days! Typing is for old fogies, if it can't be
>> done with a mouse click it's too old fashioned for me.
>>

> Classic Start menu for windows 7 ...
>
> "http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2227/get-the-classic-start-menu-in-
> windows-7/"
>
> good luck, Net_ski

Thanks, doesn't work as did the classic start menu, it's really little
improvement.

"XS11E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> NetLink_Blue <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> XS11E wrote:

>>> That's so DOS 5.0 days! Typing is for old fogies, if it can't be
>>> done with a mouse click it's too old fashioned for me.
>>>

>> Classic Start menu for windows 7 ...
>>
>> "http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2227/get-the-classic-start-menu-in-
>> windows-7/"
>>
>> good luck, Net_ski

> Thanks, doesn't work as did the classic start menu, it's really little
> improvement.

The current version appears to have a bug in it in that it won't complete
the indexing process. Without that, it won't run right. I wasted a couple of
hours putzing around with it this morning and couldn't get it to work like I
wanted, and now I'm back to XP until I have more time to waste with Windows
7 . To be honest, Windows 7 is looking like good old windows in pretty
wrappers and more eye candy but underneath you have the same old pig. Or,
IOW, another Windows Millennium. I have not yet found one reason not to keep
XP on my computers. Except for my old half-life server box, it's still
running Win2000 for performance purposes...