Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > XP Home Activation Troubles

XP Home Activation Troubles

- Bobb -

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h8gph1$3id$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> The printer wants to calibrate the print head on every print job. The
> options are Yes or No. If Yes, it fails to calibrate because a DLL is not
> found, and if No then it prints without calibrating, but asks again with
> the next print job. This is a new behavior that comes with SP3, and Xerox
> does not offer a driver update that works around the calibration.

So printer still ok on NON SP3 boxes ?
(I'm just trying to learn) It never prompted to calibrate before ?
The printer comes READY ? ( trying to see if internal message from device or
XP prompting)
I have SP3 and an old HP DeskJet ( old driver from win2000 days) and never
prompted to calibrate after SP3 . Guess I was lucky

Jeff Strickland

news:h8h0v4$u63$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:h8gph1$3id$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>
>> The printer wants to calibrate the print head on every print job. The
>> options are Yes or No. If Yes, it fails to calibrate because a DLL is not
>> found, and if No then it prints without calibrating, but asks again with
>> the next print job. This is a new behavior that comes with SP3, and Xerox
>> does not offer a driver update that works around the calibration.

> So printer still ok on NON SP3 boxes ?
> (I'm just trying to learn) It never prompted to calibrate before ?
> The printer comes READY ? ( trying to see if internal message from device
> or XP prompting)
> I have SP3 and an old HP DeskJet ( old driver from win2000 days) and never
> prompted to calibrate after SP3 . Guess I was lucky

I suppose it's okay, I haven't got a a machine that's not SP3 to test it on.

But, yes, the printer comes to ready -- it's an ink jet, so Ready is not a
very intensive process to meet -- but it is treated as if it has never been
used before. Since it is always new, then it has to calibrate the head and
set a flag someplace to indicate that the head has been calibrated.

The missing/outdated DLL does not run under SP3, so the flag never gets set.
The machine runs fine, but it insists that it must be calibrated, but
calibration is not possible.