Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Poor broadband performance on Xtra

Poor broadband performance on Xtra

Nighthawk

A friend of mine ran the speed test at www.nzdsl.co.nz and got 899
kbps down and 133 kbps up, at 8pm, Invercargill. He says it is
difficult to get on during the evening and when he does it is slow,
but OK during the day.

By comparison, I took advantage of a speed increase offer from
Slingshot (to upgrade from 256K connection) and ran the same test at
7pm the other day and got 4257 kbps up and 134 kbps down.

Matty F

On Jul 25, 1:35 am, Nighthawk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> A friend of mine ran the speed test atwww.nzdsl.co.nzand got 899
> kbps down and 133 kbps up, at 8pm, Invercargill. He says it is
> difficult to get on during the evening and when he does it is slow,
> but OK during the day.
>
> By comparison, I took advantage of a speed increase offer from
> Slingshot (to upgrade from 256K connection) and ran the same test at
> 7pm the other day and got 4257 kbps up and 134 kbps down.

I just got: download 4551 kbps upload 134 kbps on Xtra.
It's been a bit slow recently and the phone line's been very noisy.
While checking the wiring connections, one wire with a green blob on
it fell apart completely and the phone went dead. However the
broadband kept working with just the one wire connected.

Simon

On Jul 25, 1:25*pm, "Trueone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Nighthawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> >A friend of mine ran the speed test atwww.nzdsl.co.nzand got 899
> > kbps down and 133 kbps up, at 8pm, Invercargill. *He says it is
> > difficult to get on during the evening and when he does it is slow,
> > but OK during the day.

> > By comparison, I took advantage of a speed increase offer from
> > Slingshot (to upgrade from 256K connection) and ran the same test at
> > 7pm the other day and got 4257 kbps up and 134 kbps down.

> I wish I got that all the time. *On a good day I will get around 900kpbs
> download but most days it is 700kbps and quite a few times down to 200kbps

8183kbps down-stream with 138kbps up-stream.

Much better than during the school holidays

EMB

Simon wrote:
> On Jul 25, 1:25 pm, "Trueone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Nighthawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> A friend of mine ran the speed test atwww.nzdsl.co.nzand got 899
>>> kbps down and 133 kbps up, at 8pm, Invercargill. He says it is
>>> difficult to get on during the evening and when he does it is slow,
>>> but OK during the day.
>>> By comparison, I took advantage of a speed increase offer from
>>> Slingshot (to upgrade from 256K connection) and ran the same test at
>>> 7pm the other day and got 4257 kbps up and 134 kbps down.

>> I wish I got that all the time. On a good day I will get around 900kpbs
>> download but most days it is 700kbps and quite a few times down to 200kbps

> 8183kbps down-stream with 138kbps up-stream.
>
> Much better than during the school holidays

12668 down, 767 up at the moment which is fairly typical. Earlier this
evening the download had dropped to only 9800 or so.

Simon

On Jul 25, 7:30*pm, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Simon wrote:
> > On Jul 25, 1:25 pm, "Trueone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> "Nighthawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> >> I wish I got that all the time. *On a good day I will get around 900kpbs
> >> download but most days it is 700kbps and quite a few times down to 200kbps

> > 8183kbps down-stream with 138kbps up-stream.

> > Much better than during the school holidays

> 12668 down, 767 up at the moment which is fairly typical. *Earlier this
> evening the download had dropped to only 9800 or so.

I wouldn't say that 12668kbps down-stream is typical; you're pretty
lucky to have received that benchmark in the real-world. My connect is
12065kbps at the moment, but I've never managed to achieve near that
on the benchmark tests.

Simon

On Jul 26, 11:06*am, Simon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 25, 7:30*pm, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Simon wrote:

> > > 8183kbps down-stream with 138kbps up-stream.

> > > Much better than during the school holidays

> > 12668 down, 767 up at the moment which is fairly typical. *Earlier this
> > evening the download had dropped to only 9800 or so.

> I wouldn't say that 12668kbps down-stream is typical; you're pretty
> lucky to have received that benchmark in the real-world. My connect is
> 12065kbps at the moment, but I've never managed to achieve near that
> on the benchmark tests.

Actually I just realised that it may have more to do with sample-set
bias.... You're probably right EMB!

EMB

Simon wrote:
> Actually I just realised that it may have more to do with sample-set
> bias.... You're probably right EMB!

Maybe I should make that "fairly typical" for Xtra customers who have
been cabinetised with fibre backhaul, but it applies to most of the
dozen or so Xtra connections I deal with regularly.

Gordon

On 2009-07-24, Nighthawk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> A friend of mine ran the speed test at www.nzdsl.co.nz and got 899
> kbps down and 133 kbps up, at 8pm, Invercargill. He says it is
> difficult to get on during the evening and when he does it is slow,
> but OK during the day.
>
> By comparison, I took advantage of a speed increase offer from
> Slingshot (to upgrade from 256K connection) and ran the same test at
> 7pm the other day and got 4257 kbps up and 134 kbps down.

more info required.

Heck you were on 256? Do you vote National?

Murray Symon

Gordon wrote:

> On 2009-07-24, Nighthawk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> A friend of mine ran the speed test at www.nzdsl.co.nz and got 899
>> kbps down and 133 kbps up, at 8pm, Invercargill. He says it is
>> difficult to get on during the evening and when he does it is slow,
>> but OK during the day.
>>
>> By comparison, I took advantage of a speed increase offer from
>> Slingshot (to upgrade from 256K connection) and ran the same test at
>> 7pm the other day and got 4257 kbps up and 134 kbps down.
>>

> more info required.
>
> Heck you were on 256? Do you vote National?

They had an old plan that was 256K / unlimited data (no cap).
I too was on that until recently (useful with 3 teenagers at home).

Murray.

Nighthawk

On 26 Jul 2009 04:39:56 GMT, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2009-07-24, Nighthawk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> A friend of mine ran the speed test at www.nzdsl.co.nz and got 899
>> kbps down and 133 kbps up, at 8pm, Invercargill. He says it is
>> difficult to get on during the evening and when he does it is slow,
>> but OK during the day.
>>
>> By comparison, I took advantage of a speed increase offer from
>> Slingshot (to upgrade from 256K connection) and ran the same test at
>> 7pm the other day and got 4257 kbps up and 134 kbps down.
>>

>more info required.
>
>Heck you were on 256? Do you vote National?

More info? No, I didn't vote National.

I had been on IHUG full speed but when I switched to Slingshot I
thought I would try the 256k and 25GB deal which proved to be adequate
for my needs. They recently offered to upgrade me to full speed for
an extra $5/month without changing anything else, I got to keep the
data cap. It has been much faster than what I had on IHUG, which
fastest test gave 2862 kbps down.

Poor, poor P&S owner learns too late... Rich Digital Photography 66 06-11-2009 04:48 AM
poor old xtra... BTMO NZ Computing 27 06-09-2006 05:22 AM
Poor reception, poor connection, and dropped signal =?Utf-8?B?dW51c3VhbHBzeWNobw==?= Wireless Networking 2 06-07-2006 12:54 AM
Poor broadband, cell & landline coverage on Campbell Live tomorrow Jamie Kahn Genet NZ Computing 4 04-26-2006 11:17 PM
NZ has such poor broadband Microsoft is worried they cannot offer "Live" news.xtra.co.nz NZ Computing 29 12-03-2005 10:12 AM

Advertisments