Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > AMD has released new Catalyst 9.7 drivers

AMD has released new Catalyst 9.7 drivers

Bobby Johnson

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

The title still says 9.6 but when you click to Download you will get 9.7

What’s new in Catalyst 9.7:

ATI Catalyst™ 9.7 – AMD’s first official unified Windows7 / Windows
Vista Microsoft WHQL certified graphics driver for the Windows 7 RTM

• AMD has delivered its first official unified WHQL certified graphics
driver designed for the Windows 7 RTM (Release To Manufacturing)

• ATI Catalyst™ 9.7 delivers a superior Windows 7 experience:

• Great gaming performance – superior performance compared to Windows
Vista for single GPU configurations (gains of up to 10%) and especially
ATI CrossFireX™ configurations (gains of up to 40% for dual GPU
configurations, and gains of up to 90% for QUAD GPU configurations)

• Stability – through AMD’s WHQL certified, unified Windows 7 / Windows
Vista graphics driver

• Leadership in Innovation – support for all the Windows 7 WDDM 1.1
features and AMD ATI Catalyst features on the ATI Radeon HD 4000 Series,
ATI Radeon HD 3000 Series, and ATI Radeon HD 2000 Series of products ATI
Catalyst™ Control Center – Enhanced user interface

• The ATI Catalyst™ Control Center features a newly redesigned user
interface to enhance usability and end user efficiency. Highlights include:

o A newly designed Desktops & Displays Manager - enabling users to more
quickly configure and arrange their displays

o A new streamlined look – settings and controls are now found in the
new “Graphics” and “Options” drop down menus, allowing users to very
quickly select different Tabs to adjust the desired settings

o Full support for HydraVision under Windows 7

• The new ATI Catalyst Control Center is supported under Windows 7 and
Windows Vista ATI Video encoder update – support for Windows 7

• ATI Catalyst 9.7 introduces support for the ATI Video converter under
Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit

• Using ATI Stream technology, owners of ATI Radeon™ HD 4800 Series and
ATI Radeon™ HD 4600 Series of graphics cards can take advantage of this
video conversion tool (found in ATI Catalyst™ Control Center Basic View)
to achieve substantial performance improvements when transcoding video
files

Carlos

Bobby,
Thanks for the heads up.
It only applies to he English version of the drivers.
Other languages are still in v9.6.
Let's hope they update it along the day.

Carlos

"Bobby Johnson" wrote:

> http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx
>
> The title still says 9.6 but when you click to Download you will get 9.7
>

> What’s new in Catalyst 9.7:
>
> ATI Catalyst™ 9.7 – AMD’s first official unified Windows7 / Windows
> Vista Microsoft WHQL certified graphics driver for the Windows 7 RTM
>
> • AMD has delivered its first official unified WHQL certified graphics
> driver designed for the Windows 7 RTM (Release To Manufacturing)
>
> • ATI Catalyst™ 9.7 delivers a superior Windows 7 experience:
>
> • Great gaming performance – superior performance compared to Windows
> Vista for single GPU configurations (gains of up to 10%) and especially
> ATI CrossFireX™ configurations (gains of up to 40% for dual GPU
> configurations, and gains of up to 90% for QUAD GPU configurations)
>
> • Stability – through AMD’s WHQL certified, unified Windows 7 / Windows
> Vista graphics driver
>
> • Leadership in Innovation – support for all the Windows 7 WDDM 1.1
> features and AMD ATI Catalyst features on the ATI Radeon HD 4000 Series,
> ATI Radeon HD 3000 Series, and ATI Radeon HD 2000 Series of products ATI
> Catalyst™ Control Center – Enhanced user interface
>
> • The ATI Catalyst™ Control Center features a newly redesigned user
> interface to enhance usability and end user efficiency. Highlights include:
>
> o A newly designed Desktops & Displays Manager - enabling users to more
> quickly configure and arrange their displays
>
> o A new streamlined look – settings and controls are now found in the
> new “Graphics” and “Options” drop down menus, allowing users to very
> quickly select different Tabs to adjust the desired settings
>
> o Full support for HydraVision under Windows 7
>
> • The new ATI Catalyst Control Center is supported under Windows 7 and
> Windows Vista ATI Video encoder update – support for Windows 7
>
> • ATI Catalyst 9.7 introduces support for the ATI Video converter under
> Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit
>
> • Using ATI Stream technology, owners of ATI Radeon™ HD 4800 Series and
> ATI Radeon™ HD 4600 Series of graphics cards can take advantage of this
> video conversion tool (found in ATI Catalyst™ Control Center Basic View)
> to achieve substantial performance improvements when transcoding video
> files

Carlos

Bobby,
Installed the English version, could not wait for the Spanish one.
WEI is 7.3 for my ATI 4850. Same as prior 9.6's but an important jump from
lower scores with the 9.5's.
Carlos

"Bobby Johnson" wrote:

> http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx
>
> The title still says 9.6 but when you click to Download you will get 9.7
>

> What’s new in Catalyst 9.7:
>
> ATI Catalyst™ 9.7 – AMD’s first official unified Windows7 / Windows
> Vista Microsoft WHQL certified graphics driver for the Windows 7 RTM
>
> • AMD has delivered its first official unified WHQL certified graphics
> driver designed for the Windows 7 RTM (Release To Manufacturing)
>
> • ATI Catalyst™ 9.7 delivers a superior Windows 7 experience:
>
> • Great gaming performance – superior performance compared to Windows
> Vista for single GPU configurations (gains of up to 10%) and especially
> ATI CrossFireX™ configurations (gains of up to 40% for dual GPU
> configurations, and gains of up to 90% for QUAD GPU configurations)
>
> • Stability – through AMD’s WHQL certified, unified Windows 7 / Windows
> Vista graphics driver
>
> • Leadership in Innovation – support for all the Windows 7 WDDM 1.1
> features and AMD ATI Catalyst features on the ATI Radeon HD 4000 Series,
> ATI Radeon HD 3000 Series, and ATI Radeon HD 2000 Series of products ATI
> Catalyst™ Control Center – Enhanced user interface
>
> • The ATI Catalyst™ Control Center features a newly redesigned user
> interface to enhance usability and end user efficiency. Highlights include:
>
> o A newly designed Desktops & Displays Manager - enabling users to more
> quickly configure and arrange their displays
>
> o A new streamlined look – settings and controls are now found in the
> new “Graphics” and “Options” drop down menus, allowing users to very
> quickly select different Tabs to adjust the desired settings
>
> o Full support for HydraVision under Windows 7
>
> • The new ATI Catalyst Control Center is supported under Windows 7 and
> Windows Vista ATI Video encoder update – support for Windows 7
>
> • ATI Catalyst 9.7 introduces support for the ATI Video converter under
> Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit
>
> • Using ATI Stream technology, owners of ATI Radeon™ HD 4800 Series and
> ATI Radeon™ HD 4600 Series of graphics cards can take advantage of this
> video conversion tool (found in ATI Catalyst™ Control Center Basic View)
> to achieve substantial performance improvements when transcoding video
> files

Bobby Johnson

Perhaps the release of 9.7 was to advertise that it is now certified for
Win 7 RTM.

Carlos wrote:
> Bobby,
> Installed the English version, could not wait for the Spanish one.
> WEI is 7.3 for my ATI 4850. Same as prior 9.6's but an important jump from
> lower scores with the 9.5's.
> Carlos
>
> "Bobby Johnson" wrote:
>
>> http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx
>>
>> The title still says 9.6 but when you click to Download you will get 9.7
>>

>> What’s new in Catalyst 9.7:
>>
>> ATI Catalyst™ 9.7 – AMD’s first official unified Windows7 / Windows
>> Vista Microsoft WHQL certified graphics driver for the Windows 7 RTM
>>
>> • AMD has delivered its first official unified WHQL certified graphics
>> driver designed for the Windows 7 RTM (Release To Manufacturing)
>>
>> • ATI Catalyst™ 9.7 delivers a superior Windows 7 experience:
>>
>> • Great gaming performance – superior performance compared to Windows
>> Vista for single GPU configurations (gains of up to 10%) and especially
>> ATI CrossFireX™ configurations (gains of up to 40% for dual GPU
>> configurations, and gains of up to 90% for QUAD GPU configurations)
>>
>> • Stability – through AMD’s WHQL certified, unified Windows 7 / Windows
>> Vista graphics driver
>>
>> • Leadership in Innovation – support for all the Windows 7 WDDM 1.1
>> features and AMD ATI Catalyst features on the ATI Radeon HD 4000 Series,
>> ATI Radeon HD 3000 Series, and ATI Radeon HD 2000 Series of products ATI
>> Catalyst™ Control Center – Enhanced user interface
>>
>> • The ATI Catalyst™ Control Center features a newly redesigned user
>> interface to enhance usability and end user efficiency. Highlights include:
>>
>> o A newly designed Desktops & Displays Manager - enabling users to more
>> quickly configure and arrange their displays
>>
>> o A new streamlined look – settings and controls are now found in the
>> new “Graphics” and “Options” drop down menus, allowing users to very
>> quickly select different Tabs to adjust the desired settings
>>
>> o Full support for HydraVision under Windows 7
>>
>> • The new ATI Catalyst Control Center is supported under Windows 7 and
>> Windows Vista ATI Video encoder update – support for Windows 7
>>
>> • ATI Catalyst 9.7 introduces support for the ATI Video converter under
>> Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit
>>
>> • Using ATI Stream technology, owners of ATI Radeon™ HD 4800 Series and
>> ATI Radeon™ HD 4600 Series of graphics cards can take advantage of this
>> video conversion tool (found in ATI Catalyst™ Control Center Basic View)
>> to achieve substantial performance improvements when transcoding video
>> files

Carlos

Bobby,
ATI's site has been updated.
Version is now correctly shown as 9.7 and other languages, like Spanish, are
also available.
Carlos

"Bobby Johnson" wrote:

> Perhaps the release of 9.7 was to advertise that it is now certified for
> Win 7 RTM.
>
> Carlos wrote:
> > Bobby,
> > Installed the English version, could not wait for the Spanish one.
> > WEI is 7.3 for my ATI 4850. Same as prior 9.6's but an important jump from
> > lower scores with the 9.5's.
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Bobby Johnson" wrote:
> >
> >> http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx
> >>
> >> The title still says 9.6 but when you click to Download you will get 9.7
> >>

> >> What’s new in Catalyst 9.7:
> >>
> >> ATI Catalyst™ 9.7 – AMD’s first official unified Windows7 / Windows
> >> Vista Microsoft WHQL certified graphics driver for the Windows 7 RTM
> >>
> >> • AMD has delivered its first official unified WHQL certified graphics
> >> driver designed for the Windows 7 RTM (Release To Manufacturing)
> >>
> >> • ATI Catalyst™ 9.7 delivers a superior Windows 7 experience:
> >>
> >> • Great gaming performance – superior performance compared to Windows
> >> Vista for single GPU configurations (gains of up to 10%) and especially
> >> ATI CrossFireX™ configurations (gains of up to 40% for dual GPU
> >> configurations, and gains of up to 90% for QUAD GPU configurations)
> >>
> >> • Stability – through AMD’s WHQL certified, unified Windows 7 / Windows
> >> Vista graphics driver
> >>
> >> • Leadership in Innovation – support for all the Windows 7 WDDM 1.1
> >> features and AMD ATI Catalyst features on the ATI Radeon HD 4000 Series,
> >> ATI Radeon HD 3000 Series, and ATI Radeon HD 2000 Series of products ATI
> >> Catalyst™ Control Center – Enhanced user interface
> >>
> >> • The ATI Catalyst™ Control Center features a newly redesigned user
> >> interface to enhance usability and end user efficiency. Highlights include:
> >>
> >> o A newly designed Desktops & Displays Manager - enabling users to more
> >> quickly configure and arrange their displays
> >>
> >> o A new streamlined look – settings and controls are now found in the
> >> new “Graphics” and “Options” drop down menus, allowing users to very
> >> quickly select different Tabs to adjust the desired settings
> >>
> >> o Full support for HydraVision under Windows 7
> >>
> >> • The new ATI Catalyst Control Center is supported under Windows 7 and
> >> Windows Vista ATI Video encoder update – support for Windows 7
> >>
> >> • ATI Catalyst 9.7 introduces support for the ATI Video converter under
> >> Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit
> >>
> >> • Using ATI Stream technology, owners of ATI Radeon™ HD 4800 Series and
> >> ATI Radeon™ HD 4600 Series of graphics cards can take advantage of this
> >> video conversion tool (found in ATI Catalyst™ Control Center Basic View)
> >> to achieve substantial performance improvements when transcoding video
> >> files

Drew

Go figure. .still getting a 6.7 WEI on my Sapphire Toxic Ati 4850.. Not sure
why, running a Dell 24" digital flat panel at 1920 x 1200 through a dvi
connection.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bobby,
> Installed the English version, could not wait for the Spanish one.
> WEI is 7.3 for my ATI 4850. Same as prior 9.6's but an important jump from
> lower scores with the 9.5's.
> Carlos
>
> "Bobby Johnson" wrote:
>
>> http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx
>>
>> The title still says 9.6 but when you click to Download you will get 9.7
>>

>> What’s new in Catalyst 9.7:
>>
>> ATI Catalyst™ 9.7 – AMD’s first official unified Windows7 / Windows
>> Vista Microsoft WHQL certified graphics driver for the Windows 7 RTM
>>
>> • AMD has delivered its first official unified WHQL certified graphics
>> driver designed for the Windows 7 RTM (Release To Manufacturing)
>>
>> • ATI Catalyst™ 9.7 delivers a superior Windows 7 experience:
>>
>> • Great gaming performance – superior performance compared to Windows
>> Vista for single GPU configurations (gains of up to 10%) and especially
>> ATI CrossFireX™ configurations (gains of up to 40% for dual GPU
>> configurations, and gains of up to 90% for QUAD GPU configurations)
>>
>> • Stability – through AMD’s WHQL certified, unified Windows 7 / Windows
>> Vista graphics driver
>>
>> • Leadership in Innovation – support for all the Windows 7 WDDM 1.1
>> features and AMD ATI Catalyst features on the ATI Radeon HD 4000 Series,
>> ATI Radeon HD 3000 Series, and ATI Radeon HD 2000 Series of products ATI
>> Catalyst™ Control Center – Enhanced user interface
>>
>> • The ATI Catalyst™ Control Center features a newly redesigned user
>> interface to enhance usability and end user efficiency. Highlights
>> include:
>>
>> o A newly designed Desktops & Displays Manager - enabling users to more
>> quickly configure and arrange their displays
>>
>> o A new streamlined look – settings and controls are now found in the
>> new “Graphics” and “Options” drop down menus, allowing users to very
>> quickly select different Tabs to adjust the desired settings
>>
>> o Full support for HydraVision under Windows 7
>>
>> • The new ATI Catalyst Control Center is supported under Windows 7 and
>> Windows Vista ATI Video encoder update – support for Windows 7
>>
>> • ATI Catalyst 9.7 introduces support for the ATI Video converter under
>> Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit
>>
>> • Using ATI Stream technology, owners of ATI Radeon™ HD 4800 Series and
>> ATI Radeon™ HD 4600 Series of graphics cards can take advantage of this
>> video conversion tool (found in ATI Catalyst™ Control Center Basic View)
>> to achieve substantial performance improvements when transcoding video
>> files

Carlos

Drew,
Some benchmarks here
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/28...sis/index.html
might clarify why the 4850 has no real benefits with respect to 9.6.
Carlos

"Drew" wrote:

> Go figure. .still getting a 6.7 WEI on my Sapphire Toxic Ati 4850.. Not sure
> why, running a Dell 24" digital flat panel at 1920 x 1200 through a dvi
> connection.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Bobby,
> > Installed the English version, could not wait for the Spanish one.
> > WEI is 7.3 for my ATI 4850. Same as prior 9.6's but an important jump from
> > lower scores with the 9.5's.
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Bobby Johnson" wrote:
> >
> >> http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx
> >>
> >> The title still says 9.6 but when you click to Download you will get 9.7
> >>

> >> What’s new in Catalyst 9.7:
> >>
> >> ATI Catalyst™ 9.7 – AMD’s first official unified Windows7 / Windows
> >> Vista Microsoft WHQL certified graphics driver for the Windows 7 RTM
> >>
> >> • AMD has delivered its first official unified WHQL certified graphics
> >> driver designed for the Windows 7 RTM (Release To Manufacturing)
> >>
> >> • ATI Catalyst™ 9.7 delivers a superior Windows 7 experience:
> >>
> >> • Great gaming performance – superior performance compared to Windows
> >> Vista for single GPU configurations (gains of up to 10%) and especially
> >> ATI CrossFireX™ configurations (gains of up to 40% for dual GPU
> >> configurations, and gains of up to 90% for QUAD GPU configurations)
> >>
> >> • Stability – through AMD’s WHQL certified, unified Windows 7 / Windows
> >> Vista graphics driver
> >>
> >> • Leadership in Innovation – support for all the Windows 7 WDDM 1.1
> >> features and AMD ATI Catalyst features on the ATI Radeon HD 4000 Series,
> >> ATI Radeon HD 3000 Series, and ATI Radeon HD 2000 Series of products ATI
> >> Catalyst™ Control Center – Enhanced user interface
> >>
> >> • The ATI Catalyst™ Control Center features a newly redesigned user
> >> interface to enhance usability and end user efficiency. Highlights
> >> include:
> >>
> >> o A newly designed Desktops & Displays Manager - enabling users to more
> >> quickly configure and arrange their displays
> >>
> >> o A new streamlined look – settings and controls are now found in the
> >> new “Graphics” and “Options” drop down menus, allowing users to very
> >> quickly select different Tabs to adjust the desired settings
> >>
> >> o Full support for HydraVision under Windows 7
> >>
> >> • The new ATI Catalyst Control Center is supported under Windows 7 and
> >> Windows Vista ATI Video encoder update – support for Windows 7
> >>
> >> • ATI Catalyst 9.7 introduces support for the ATI Video converter under
> >> Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit
> >>
> >> • Using ATI Stream technology, owners of ATI Radeon™ HD 4800 Series and
> >> ATI Radeon™ HD 4600 Series of graphics cards can take advantage of this
> >> video conversion tool (found in ATI Catalyst™ Control Center Basic View)
> >> to achieve substantial performance improvements when transcoding video
> >> files

Drew

Thanks Carlos! It is still bugging me why some get higher scores with cards
that are supposed to be slower than mine, that’s all. I will figure it out
though

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Drew,
> Some benchmarks here:
> http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/28...sis/index.html
> might clarify why the 4850 has no real benefits with respect to 9.6.
> Carlos
>
> "Drew" wrote:
>
>> Go figure. .still getting a 6.7 WEI on my Sapphire Toxic Ati 4850.. Not
>> sure
>> why, running a Dell 24" digital flat panel at 1920 x 1200 through a dvi
>> connection.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Bobby,
>> > Installed the English version, could not wait for the Spanish one.
>> > WEI is 7.3 for my ATI 4850. Same as prior 9.6's but an important jump
>> > from
>> > lower scores with the 9.5's.
>> > Carlos

Carlos

Drew,
Well, the fact that you are running at 1900 x 1200 might explain the
difference.
I am at a lower 1680 x 1050 and my 4850 has to feed less pixels than yours.
Also, drivers tend to be optimized for certain resolutions so your one might
be also suffering from that (more pixels and less optimization).
Carlos

"Drew" wrote:

> Thanks Carlos! It is still bugging me why some get higher scores with cards
> that are supposed to be slower than mine, that’s all. I will figure it out
> though

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Drew,
> > Some benchmarks here:
> > http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/28...sis/index.html
> > might clarify why the 4850 has no real benefits with respect to 9.6.
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Drew" wrote:
> >
> >> Go figure. .still getting a 6.7 WEI on my Sapphire Toxic Ati 4850.. Not
> >> sure
> >> why, running a Dell 24" digital flat panel at 1920 x 1200 through a dvi
> >> connection.
> >>
> >> "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Drew

Carlos. I guess that is possible but I am running at the native resolution
for this monitor. nothing tweaked or overclocked

news:(E-Mail Removed)...