Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DVD players

DVD players

Nick Rennie

Hi,

Do those cheap (eg: at DSE) that say they play AVIs play them OK? Any
recomendations?

Thanks,

Nick

Mark C

"Nick Rennie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:h48rsn$la3$(E-Mail Removed):

> Do those cheap (eg: at DSE) that say they play AVIs play them
> OK? Any recomendations?

I tested one (DSE ????) in-shop a year ago and it played most things
well (max 720 pixels wide, no HD).

Perhaps download the DivX Test CD, and burn to DVD or CD:
http://divxtest.surdvd.com/What-is-D...an-I-find.html
.... then take it along and see if they will let you try it out?

Mark

pystol

On Jul 23, 5:19*pm, "Nick Rennie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do those cheap (eg: at DSE) that say they play AVIs play them OK? *Any
> recomendations?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nick

Pioneer

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Nick Rennie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do those cheap (eg: at DSE) that say they play AVIs play them OK? Any
> recomendations?

My DSE one died pretty quickly.

If you're looking I have a spare Philips DVP3252 that's only been out of the
box to flash the latest firmware that I'll sell. I bought a spare as I like
mine so much I'd be lost without it. However it's showing no signs of
letting up despite daily use for more than 18 months. They also play AVIs
from a USB stick, very nifty. misfitnz at that gmail place will get me if
you're interested. We can discuss price etc....

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll
be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.

Woger

On 23 Jul 2009 07:39:11 GMT, Mark C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Nick Rennie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:h48rsn$la3$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Do those cheap (eg: at DSE) that say they play AVIs play them
>> OK? Any recomendations?

>I tested one (DSE ????) in-shop a year ago and it played most things
>well (max 720 pixels wide, no HD).
>
>Perhaps download the DivX Test CD, and burn to DVD or CD:
>http://divxtest.surdvd.com/What-is-D...an-I-find.html
>... then take it along and see if they will let you try it out?
>
>Mark

Philips make a large range get one with the USB stick..

KiwiBrian

Yesterday I bought a Samsung DVD-1080P9 from Noel Leeming for $199 as I
wanted AVI/DivX capability and also USB input.
At present it is playing AVIs OK from a pendrive, but does not recognize the
EHD that I have burnt AVIs onto.
Will report progress after further testing today (May even have to RTFM) but
interested in comments on the unit but especially from anyone that can play
AVIs from an EHD.

"Nick Rennie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h48rsn$la3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Do those cheap (eg: at DSE) that say they play AVIs play them OK? Any
> recomendations?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Nick

Mark C

"KiwiBrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:h49u37$9k3$(E-Mail Removed):

> Yesterday I bought a Samsung DVD-1080P9 from Noel Leeming for
> $199 as I wanted AVI/DivX capability and also USB input.
> At present it is playing AVIs OK from a pendrive, but does not
> recognize the EHD that I have burnt AVIs onto.

Some players will work with externally powered (wall-wart) EHD, but
not those that need to be powered from the USB port.
Most can only read FAT filesystems (no NTFS).

Mark

KiwiBrian

"Mark C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:00224bff$0$29936$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "KiwiBrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:h49u37$9k3$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Yesterday I bought a Samsung DVD-1080P9 from Noel Leeming for
>> $199 as I wanted AVI/DivX capability and also USB input.
>> At present it is playing AVIs OK from a pendrive, but does not
>> recognize the EHD that I have burnt AVIs onto.

> Some players will work with externally powered (wall-wart) EHD, but
> not those that need to be powered from the USB port.
> Most can only read FAT filesystems (no NTFS).

Thanks Mark.
I had to reformat the externally powered 320GB EHD as FAT32, using a 3rd
party application as per and from here -
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...at32format.htm which took less
than 1 second, and then the Player could see AVIs which I had subsequently
copied to the EHD.
I am very pleased with my purchase and the outcome.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs KiwiBrian wrote:
> "Mark C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:00224bff$0$29936$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "KiwiBrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:h49u37$9k3$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> Yesterday I bought a Samsung DVD-1080P9 from Noel Leeming for
>>> $199 as I wanted AVI/DivX capability and also USB input.
>>> At present it is playing AVIs OK from a pendrive, but does not
>>> recognize the EHD that I have burnt AVIs onto.

>> Some players will work with externally powered (wall-wart) EHD, but
>> not those that need to be powered from the USB port.
>> Most can only read FAT filesystems (no NTFS).

> Thanks Mark.
> I had to reformat the externally powered 320GB EHD as FAT32, using a
> 3rd party application as per and from here -
> http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...at32format.htm which took
> less than 1 second, and then the Player could see AVIs which I had
> subsequently copied to the EHD.
> I am very pleased with my purchase and the outcome.

Yep, the little Philips players that I use do that too. There's a NexStar
USB - SATA dock sitting next to mine, works perfectly.