Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Layer 2 Data Center Access Layer Redundancy for VMWare Servers

Layer 2 Data Center Access Layer Redundancy for VMWare Servers

crackerman6969

I am stumped on designing a layer 2 redundant design for our data
center. Right now we are the 3 tier Cisco model, core, dist, access
and the vmware servers are located on 2 trunked access layer switches
each with routed uplinks to the distribution switches. We need to add
2 more switches to the same vlans for vmware vmotion to work properly,
i.e. trunk those vlans over to 2 other switches. Do I turn the
distribution switches into layer 2 or add more switches? I am unable
to come up with a bullet proof design. Everything except using vss or
a nexus 7000 vpc has at least one point of failure. The servers are
all dual nic teamed.

Just curious if anyone else is having this delima and how they figured
out how to make it into a reliable design.

Trendkill

On Jul 22, 10:11*pm, crackerman6969 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am stumped on designing a layer 2 redundant design for our data
> center. Right now we are the 3 tier Cisco model, core, dist, access
> and the vmware servers are located on 2 trunked access layer switches
> each with routed uplinks to the distribution switches. We need to add
> 2 more switches to the same vlans for vmware vmotion to work properly,
> i.e. trunk those vlans over to 2 other switches. Do I turn the
> distribution switches into layer 2 or add more switches? I am unable
> to come up with a bullet proof design. Everything except using vss or
> a nexus 7000 vpc has at least one point of failure. The servers are
> all dual nic teamed.
>
> Just curious if anyone else is having this delima and how they figured
> out how to make it into a reliable design.

Doesn't the current version of VM support vmotion over layer
3....thought I read that somewhere. Other than that, your options are
limited. Keep the existing model and extend fiber between the two
access pairs for that one private vlan is probably the least
intrusive, as starting to run spanning-tree defeats your distributed
layer 3 model. Long term, vss/vpc will be the answer. Or move some
of the non vmotion connections to the second pair, freeing up
individual ports for vmotion that you can run back to the original
pair. Of course this gets tough if you have structured cabling.

crackerman6969

On Jul 23, 5:53*am, Trendkill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 22, 10:11*pm, crackerman6969 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I am stumped on designing a layer 2 redundant design for our data
> > center. Right now we are the 3 tier Cisco model, core, dist, access
> > and the vmware servers are located on 2 trunked access layer switches
> > each with routed uplinks to the distribution switches. We need to add
> > 2 more switches to the same vlans for vmware vmotion to work properly,
> > i.e. trunk those vlans over to 2 other switches. Do I turn the
> > distribution switches into layer 2 or add more switches? I am unable
> > to come up with a bullet proof design. Everything except using vss or
> > a nexus 7000 vpc has at least one point of failure. The servers are
> > all dual nic teamed.

> > Just curious if anyone else is having this delima and how they figured
> > out how to make it into a reliable design.

> Doesn't the current version of VM support vmotion over layer
> 3....thought I read that somewhere. *Other than that, your options are
> limited. *Keep the existing model and extend fiber between the two
> access pairs for that one private vlan is probably the least
> intrusive, as starting to run spanning-tree defeats your distributed
> layer 3 model. *Long term, vss/vpc will be the answer. *Or move some
> of the non vmotion connections to the second pair, freeing up
> individual ports for vmotion that you can run back to the original
> pair. *Of course this gets tough if you have structured cabling.

vmotion is a layer 2 protocol only. This is primarily why cisco is
preaching vpc's.