Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Movie mode in D5000

Movie mode in D5000

TK

hi all,

I'm new and going to buy a D5000, read online known that HD movie can
only stand for 5 minutes max, may i know
1. How many memory of the 5 minutes HD video clip?

2. How long max. can the video take if the video in low resolution?
how is the size of file?

3. Is the AF feature available in movie mode?

I'll be glad if any of you can provide me these information. Thanks.

Alienjones

TK wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I'm new and going to buy a D5000, read online known that HD movie can
> only stand for 5 minutes max, may i know
> 1. How many memory of the 5 minutes HD video clip?
>
> 2. How long max. can the video take if the video in low resolution?
> how is the size of file?
>
> 3. Is the AF feature available in movie mode?
>
> I'll be glad if any of you can provide me these information. Thanks.

The movie mode mat disappoint you unless you are willing to spend a lot
of time learning how to get the best from it.

No AF in movie mode. Auto EI in movie mode may not suit you.

This is about the D90 but it applies to the D5000 too.
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=146661

Good luck.

Rich

On Jul 20, 9:46*pm, TK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I'm new and going to buy a D5000, read online known that HD movie can
> only stand for 5 minutes max, may i know
> 1. How many memory of the 5 minutes HD video clip?
>
> 2. How long max. can the video take if the video in low resolution?
> how is the size of file?
>
> 3. Is the AF feature available in movie mode?

Yes, on one camera: The Panasonic GH1.

TK

On Jul 21, 12:22*pm, Alienjones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> TK wrote:
> > hi all,

> > I'm new and going to buy a D5000, read online known that HD movie can
> > only stand for 5 minutes max, may i know
> > 1. How many memory of the 5 minutes HD video clip?

> > 2. How long max. can the video take if the video in low resolution?
> > how is the size of file?

> > 3. Is the AF feature available in movie mode?

> > I'll be glad if any of you can provide me these information. Thanks.

> The movie mode mat disappoint you unless you are willing to spend a lot
> of time learning how to get the best from it.
>
> No AF in movie mode. Auto EI in movie mode may not suit you.
>
> This is about the D90 but it applies to the D5000 too.http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=146661
>
> Good luck.

Thanks for the link... answer many of my questions... how is the file
size? please help for Question 1 and 2... thanks

Alienjones

Rich wrote:
> On Jul 20, 9:46 pm, TK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> hi all,
>>
>> I'm new and going to buy a D5000, read online known that HD movie can
>> only stand for 5 minutes max, may i know
>> 1. How many memory of the 5 minutes HD video clip?
>>
>> 2. How long max. can the video take if the video in low resolution?
>> how is the size of file?
>>
>> 3. Is the AF feature available in movie mode?

> Yes, on one camera: The Panasonic GH1.

Speaking of which...
Mine has yet to arrive. Slow boat from China perhaps? LOL.

You really don't want to shoot in low resolution - for any reason. The
results are pretty average. In 720 mode you get some jaggie edges on
horizontal lines sometimes but it's the only mode worth using.

I don't know the answer to the first two questions so I didn't answer them.

We use a 16 gig card and take about 5 - 10 minutes of video and 300
still shots in RAW + JPEG at weddings without filling the card.

Somehow I don't thing storage is going to be your problem. 8 gig cards
are pretty cheap so having a few isn't going to break the bank.

If you want to get exceptional video you need a big lens. This could
cost you bucks. Learning how to take a movie without the now familiar
zoom lens requires patience and understanding how real movies are
actually filmed.

I use a 50mm F1.4 and an 85mm F/1.8 plus some of the instructions you'll
find at the link I gave you. You'll get pretty good results with a 50mm
F/1.8 as well.

DO NOT USE PROGRAM MODE. Set the aperture first then let the rolling
shutter roll. The camera will alter it's ISO to pull the right exposure
that way. Be prepared for noisy and unsharp images in low light. You can
with the right software, sharpen the image during editing. Go easy on
the in-camera sharpening, it can get nasty if you don't.

TK

On Jul 21, 2:51*pm, Alienjones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Rich wrote:
> > On Jul 20, 9:46 pm, TK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> hi all,

> >> I'm new and going to buy a D5000, read online known that HD movie can
> >> only stand for 5 minutes max, may i know
> >> 1. How many memory of the 5 minutes HD video clip?

> >> 2. How long max. can the video take if the video in low resolution?
> >> how is the size of file?

> >> 3. Is the AF feature available in movie mode?

> > Yes, on one camera: *The Panasonic GH1.

> Speaking of which...
> Mine has yet to arrive. Slow boat from China perhaps? LOL.
>
> You really don't want to shoot in low resolution - for any reason. The
> results are pretty average. In 720 mode you get some jaggie edges on
> horizontal lines sometimes but it's the only mode worth using.
>
> I don't know the answer to the first two questions so I didn't answer them.
>
> We use a 16 gig card and take about 5 - 10 minutes of video and 300
> still shots in RAW + JPEG at weddings without filling the card.
>
> Somehow I don't thing storage is going to be your problem. 8 gig cards
> are pretty cheap so having a few isn't going to break the bank.
>
> If you want to get exceptional video you need a big lens. This could
> cost you bucks. Learning how to take a movie without the now familiar
> zoom lens requires patience and understanding how real movies are
> actually filmed.
>
> I use a 50mm F1.4 and an 85mm F/1.8 plus some of the instructions you'll
> find at the link I gave you. You'll get pretty good results with a 50mm
> F/1.8 as well.
>
> DO NOT USE PROGRAM MODE. Set the aperture first then let the rolling
> shutter roll. The camera will alter it's ISO to pull the right exposure
> that way. Be prepared for noisy and unsharp images in low light. You can
> with the right software, sharpen the image during editing. Go easy on
> the in-camera sharpening, it can get nasty if you don't.

Thanks for your info, I think I gonna get my first DSLR D5000 soon...
feel so excited....

whisky-dave

"Alienjones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h43oso$v5n$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> If you want to get exceptional video you need a big lens. This could cost
> you bucks. Learning how to take a movie without the now familiar zoom lens
> requires patience and understanding how real movies are actually filmed.

I was just wondering whether or not you have a particular reason
for using the term video and movie.
I've been told or rather it's been suggested to me that the quality of a
video
is dependant on the technology used whereas the quality of a movie is
dependent
on the framing and transitions, because of this it is very difficult
producing a movie
with just ONE camera even if it's excellent quality.
This is due to the fact that to get a proper movie you need a minimum of two
cameras
just to get enough scenes to join creating the angles neccessary for a good
movie.

An example of this would be (time for a plug) my two cat flap videos.
webcam with timeplapse & motion detection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUBgEZ5fteU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHNeKgu1k34

for a movie I'd have needed to add views from inside too, and perhasp follow
the cats.

A friend suggested that if I wanted to take better movies or rather band
'videos,
rather than get one great camera get two or three good ones mixing scenes
and
angles in to a movie.

I liked your reply to the OP but I was wondering whether the OP
had considered what makes a movie rather than a video.

Although I don;t always define movies/videos very precisely myself.