Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Has McAfee Gone Mad?

Re: Has McAfee Gone Mad?

Aardvark

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 20:12:37 -0400, conwaycaine wrote:

> I'm sitting here, choked down to a crawl while McAfee downloads the most
> massive file to date.
> Giz a break here!!

McAfee is a resource hog. Get rid of it. Install something free, and which
has a smaller footprint.

I recommend Avast. Free download. The software and updates are free.
Fourteen month free renewable registration. Updates come all the time,
sometimes twice or three times a day, and the only time you know it's done
anything is when you see the pop-up telling you it's done something. All
the Windows machines we have here run it.

Did I mention that it was free?

Aardvark

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 00:24:49 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 20:12:37 -0400, conwaycaine wrote:
>
>> I'm sitting here, choked down to a crawl while McAfee downloads the
>> most massive file to date.
>> Giz a break here!!

> McAfee is a resource hog. Get rid of it. Install something free, and
> which has a smaller footprint.
>
> I recommend Avast. Free download. The software and updates are free.
> Fourteen month free renewable registration. Updates come all the time,
> sometimes twice or three times a day, and the only time you know it's
> done anything is when you see the pop-up telling you it's done
> something. All the Windows machines we have here run it.
>
> Did I mention that it was free?

Here's a free link too.

<http://avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html>

Mara

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 09:41:20 -0400, "conwaycaine" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:6Y79m.17259$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>>>
>>> I recommend Avast. *Free download. The software and updates are *free.
>>> Fourteen month *free renewable registration. Updates come all the time,
>>> sometimes twice or three times a day, and the only time you know it's
>>> done anything is when you see the pop-up telling you it's done
>>> something. All the Windows machines we have here run it.
>>>
>>> Did I mention that it was *free?

>> Here's a *free link too.
>>
>> <http://avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html>

>I think I read five "Frees" in your post..
>Bear in mind, I only post to a Scottish newsgroup.
>In actually, I am as big a spendthrift as any Irishman whatever lived.
>(May I stand for the next round???)

If you don't mind spending a bit, there are better AVs than Avast.

http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/
http://www.webroot.com/En_US/consume...2a9b952712086d
or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/l2egs8

--
"You can't rush the kind of cool *we* are."
--Erekosė, Evil Abuse Minion #5