Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Trying to monitor port on Cisco 1841

Trying to monitor port on Cisco 1841

ponga

Anybody know what's going on here? I am trying to monitor f0/0 to
f0/1, when I go to conf t, I try this:
ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int f0/0
^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

A 'sh int f0/0' sure works fine. Why won't this?

Here I am using the trusty '?', just to make sure I am entering the
command right, and it appears that way, except when I enter it, I get
that error. Example:

ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int ?
FastEthernet FastEthernet IEEE 802.3

ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int f ?
<0-0> FastEthernet interface number

ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int f 0 ?
% Unrecognized command
108BISBEE(config)#mon session 1 source int ?
FastEthernet FastEthernet IEEE 802.3

ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int f?
FastEthernet

ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int f0?
/

ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int f0/?
<0-1> FastEthernet interface number

ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int f0/0
^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it!

Here is part of the sh ver:
Cisco IOS Software, 1841 Software (C1841-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version 12.4
(3i), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2007 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Wed 28-Nov-07 18:48 by stshen

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Thanks for any help,
ponga

Thrill5

You can't SPAN a router interface on a router, which is what the monitor
command does. The monitor command is only valid on a switch.

"ponga" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anybody know what's going on here? I am trying to monitor f0/0 to
> f0/1, when I go to conf t, I try this:
> ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int f0/0
> ^
> % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.
>
> A 'sh int f0/0' sure works fine. Why won't this?
>
> Here I am using the trusty '?', just to make sure I am entering the
> command right, and it appears that way, except when I enter it, I get
> that error. Example:
>
> ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int ?
> FastEthernet FastEthernet IEEE 802.3
>
> ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int f ?
> <0-0> FastEthernet interface number
>
> ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int f 0 ?
> % Unrecognized command
> 108BISBEE(config)#mon session 1 source int ?
> FastEthernet FastEthernet IEEE 802.3
>
> ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int f?
> FastEthernet
>
> ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int f0?
> /
>
> ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int f0/?
> <0-1> FastEthernet interface number
>
> ROUTER(config)#mon session 1 source int f0/0
> ^
> % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

> If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it!
>
> Here is part of the sh ver:
> Cisco IOS Software, 1841 Software (C1841-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version 12.4
> (3i), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
> Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
> Copyright (c) 1986-2007 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
> Compiled Wed 28-Nov-07 18:48 by stshen
>
> ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
>
> Thanks for any help,
> ponga

bod43

On 21 July, 02:55, "Thrill5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> You can't SPAN a router interface on a router, which is what the monitor
> command does. *The monitor command is only valid on a switch.

I agree, however it would be nice if unsupported commands were
not included in the "help".

There is no reason at all to have them 'appear' to
be supported and then to find that they don't actually work.

I would imagine that the geniuses who designed the IOS command line
would be horrified by this abberation. They had a clue.

Justin G. Mitchell

On Jul 20, 11:34*pm, bod43 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 21 July, 02:55, "Thrill5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > You can't SPAN a router interface on a router, which is what the monitor
> > command does. *The monitor command is only valid on a switch.

> I agree, however it would be nice if unsupported commands were
> not included in the "help".
>
> There is no reason at all to have them 'appear' to
> be supported and then to find that they don't actually work.
>
> I would imagine that the geniuses who designed the IOS command line
> would be horrified by this abberation. They had a clue.

The 1841 ISR has 8 Fastethernet ports for connecting access devices.
Explains why the command is available.

ponga

On Jul 20, 6:55*pm, "Thrill5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> You can't SPAN a router interface on a router, which is what the monitor
> command does. *The monitor command is only valid on a switch.
>
> "ponga" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Well, that explains it. Thanks.