Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > The unsung hero of Apollo 11.....Houston, we have a problem!

The unsung hero of Apollo 11.....Houston, we have a problem!

richard

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/0...rss_topstories

What would have taken more time to fix properly than they had
available, all that was needed to make it work was a bit more grease.

In Guam, the main tracking station before the splashdown, the main
antenna fails. It was decided that perhaps more grease would be enough
to solve the problem long enough. But how? Where the bearing needed
grease was a tight squeeze for any one's hand to get in and do it.
Except for the hand the size of a 10 year old.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/0...rss_topstories

>In Guam, the main tracking station before the splashdown, the main
>antenna fails. It was decided that perhaps more grease would be enough
>to solve the problem long enough. But how? Where the bearing needed
>grease was a tight squeeze for any one's hand to get in and do it.
>Except for the hand the size of a 10 year old.

In Guam you can buy a 10 year old boy for a few bucks.

The real Unsung hero of the Apollo 11 mission was Steve Bales, (with
help from Jack Garman, a real unknown)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Bales

"The last few minutes of the landing were punctuated by program alarms
from the guidance computer. These alarms signalled an "executive
overflow" which meant the computer might not be keeping up with its
computing tasks. Bales had to very quickly determine whether or not
this was serious. If high-priority computing tasks were indeed not
being completed, as guidance officer he would have to call for an
abort of the lunar landing. After several seconds had passed he
informed flight director Gene Kranz that the landing could continue
despite the alarms."

"When President Richard Nixon awarded the Presidential Medal of
Freedom to the three Apollo 11 astronauts, Steve Bales was also
honored by being chosen to accept a NASA Group Achievement Award on
behalf of the entire mission operations team. Nixon said at the time,
"This is the young man, when the computers seemed to be confused and
when he could have said Stop, or when he could have said Wait, said,
Go."

You might remember the computer overflow alarms were being set off by
the ground radar, Jack Garman understood this and gave Steve Bales the
nod - and a landing.

I've always known of Steve Bales part in the landing, just not his
name, made it heck to google, yet this is the first time I heard of
Jack Garman.
--

http://www.stambaughfamily.com/bitterroot.html

OT: Apollo Schwartz kpg MCSE 2 01-14-2006 02:35 AM
Apollo 13 DTS damnfine DVD Video 13 04-26-2005 06:53 PM
Problems in XP enabeling UDMA66 on the VIA Apollo Pro 133A Chipset (TYAN S1854 MoBo) Tim Computer Support 15 01-09-2004 06:28 AM
Apollo Saturn V 3 dvd set on Ebay Thomas Bell DVD Video 0 11-25-2003 11:50 PM

Advertisments