Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Saitek keyboard/mouse incompatibility

Re: Saitek keyboard/mouse incompatibility

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My wife has vision problems, so I did some trading around and got her a
>Saitek backlit keyboard, which she really likes. I also replaced her
>Compaq Walmart piece of **** comuter with a real one that I built, dual
>core Athlon processor, 2 gigs RAM, lots of extras. But I can't get a
>mouse to work with this keyboard plugged in. I've tried several mice,
>PS2 and USB. The keyboard works fine, but no mousy. Right now she's
>happily playing on Pogo with a different KB and mouse, but I'd like to
>get the Saitek back into action with a good mouse.
>
>I've poked around in the BIOS to see if there's some setting I've
>missed, can't find anything. Getting frustrated, suggestions?

I spent the better part of Thursday fixing the same problem with
different hardware. And now I get to post about it!!

I have a G15 Logitech USB keyboard (Gaming KB, Backlit, lots of macro
keys, and an LCD screen) The Q,A,Z keys quit - took it apart cleaned
the traces, everything looked good put it back together and the Q,A,Z
keys wouldn't work.... Now I use a different keyboard.

I did a repair install of my XPro, (Gifs, I host them, post a link to
a webpage, they won't work (animate), but will on XPhome - be it Opera
or FF).

After the repair install my G5 Logitech (Gaming mouse) wouldn't work,
it (the arrow) just sat dead center of the screen.

Kept the G5 plugged into it's USB port and used a PS/2 mouse to work
with (I still have drivers installed for a basic mouse).

One installation of the G15 keyboard was still in the add and remove,
so still had drivers installed. I could plug The G15 Keyboard in and
everything would work except of course those three keys. - I
uninstalled it.

But I just couldn't get Setpoint (my G5 mouse config program) to
install (two versions, one I started with and a new upgrade). they
would get almost all the way done.

Then say there was a problem and the program couldn't be installed,
then erase everything it had installed (it was important for me to get
KHALMNPR.EXE installed and loaded on startup- I thought- It's the
Kernel and Hardware Abstraction Layer for the mouse. Did get the G5 to
move, and working, but it was just a basic mouse.

Logitech support says there were problems with their keyboard and
mouse installations - one won't let the other install (so it appears
to be common problem).

I could go on and on, I mean it took me most of a day to get my mouse
software to work, and the fix was on a page explaining how to
uninstall Setpoint, I know how to uninstall stuff and saw this as a
Noobs page, so I scrolled down quickly saw nothing new. then try
something else.

Much later...

Ended back at the how to uninstall setpoint webpage again, and at the
very bottom it said if it still won't install, rename wdf01000.sys to
wdf01000.bak
X:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\wdf01000.sys to
X:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\wdf01000.bak

I did and setpoint installed like nothing was wrong, blew most of a
day because I didn't fully read the first trouble shooting webpage I
came to...

Installed the G15 Keyboard software, as well - I like using the LCD
screen for game chats. Yes, two keyboards, but it's rare.

Keyboard and mouse now work together as they had been before the
repair install.

I know it was a long explanation, but that was most of my Thursday

Bottom line I guess would be if you have a wdf01000.sys file, you
might try changing the extension to something else.

--

Dear Mom
http://www.foundmagazine.com/find/12030

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

>Bottom line I guess would be if you have a wdf01000.sys file, you
>might try changing the extension to something else.

Forgot to mention that If you rename wdf01000.sys to wdf01000.bak (or
delete it for that matter) - wdf01000.sys will recreate itself.

Apparently it rebuilds itself as the hardware requires to operate.

I extracted the text from wdf01000.sys, logitech, nor any company, or
devices are mentioned, only that it's property of MS.
--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ro...neJuly2007.jpg

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

Darn early for me to be posting.

>Forgot to mention that If you rename wdf01000.sys to wdf01000.bak (or
>delete it for that matter) - wdf01000.sys will recreate itself.

This is correct yet the .sys file doesn't recreate itself, it
reinstalls itself.

>Apparently it rebuilds itself as the hardware requires to operate.

This above is all wrong each wdf01000.sys file deleted or installed
has a date of 11/2/2006 7.22a.m.

My bad, talk about posting totally wrong info. After the post and an
appointment it hit me that this couldn't be right. I had to post a
retraction.

>I extracted the text from wdf01000.sys, logitech, nor any company, or
>devices are mentioned, only that it's property of MS.

This is true, but the wdf01000.sys file does seem to be for logitech
devices.

Hope you get your setup working.

--

Another 40th anniversary: WoodStock
undercover lovers http://tinyurl.com/lmglgp

chuckcar

Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):
>> Ended back at the how to uninstall setpoint webpage again, and at the
>> very bottom it said if it still won't install, rename wdf01000.sys to
>> wdf01000.bak
>> X:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\wdf01000.sys to
>> X:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\wdf01000.bak
>>
>> I did and setpoint installed like nothing was wrong, blew most of a
>> day because I didn't fully read the first trouble shooting webpage I
>> came to...
>>
>> Installed the G15 Keyboard software, as well - I like using the LCD
>> screen for game chats. Yes, two keyboards, but it's rare.
>>
>> Keyboard and mouse now work together as they had been before the
>> repair install.
>>
>> I know it was a long explanation, but that was most of my Thursday
>>
>> Bottom line I guess would be if you have a wdf01000.sys file, you
>> might try changing the extension to something else.

> Whew! But I'll take a look when I'm fully awake again. Thanks.

Which would mean that there was no proper driver installed for the mouse -
giving either a message that no mouse was available on boot, or a circle
as I said in device manager. You didn't even *look* did you? Putz.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Which would mean that there was no proper driver installed for the mouse -
>giving either a message that no mouse was available on boot, or a circle
>as I said in device manager. You didn't even *look* did you? Putz.

You know, as I mentioned I spent the better part of a day fixing my
problem, and not once did I look at the device manager - I knew what
the problem was, I didn't need a GUI saying my mouse didn't work.

Fact is I kept running MAIN.CPL to see how I was doing.
--

http://imgur.com/FknMU.jpg

hwf

(E-Mail Removed) pinched out a steaming pile
of<(E-Mail Removed)>:

> chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Which would mean that there was no proper driver installed for the

mouse -
>>giving either a message that no mouse was available on boot, or a

circle
>>as I said in device manager. You didn't even *look* did you? Putz.

>You know, as I mentioned I spent the better part of a day fixing my
>problem, and not once did I look at the device manager - I knew what
>the problem was, I didn't need a GUI saying my mouse didn't work.
>
>Fact is I kept running MAIN.CPL to see how I was doing.

What program did you associate with main.cpl to veiw it?

TIA

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

hwf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>You know, as I mentioned I spent the better part of a day fixing my
>>problem, and not once did I look at the device manager - I knew what
>>the problem was, I didn't need a GUI saying my mouse didn't work.
>>
>>Fact is I kept running MAIN.CPL to see how I was doing.

>What program did you associate with main.cpl to veiw it?
>
>TIA

<Grin> the run command.

Left WinKey+R, will open the Run command <type in>
MAIN.CPL
<enter>

--

Handyman
http://thereifixedit.com/wp-content/...yoshi-keys.jpg

chuckcar

hwf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:h4cf2c$h7g$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> (E-Mail Removed) pinched out a steaming pile
> of<(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>> chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Which would mean that there was no proper driver installed for the

> mouse -
>>>giving either a message that no mouse was available on boot, or a

> circle
>>>as I said in device manager. You didn't even *look* did you? Putz.

>>You know, as I mentioned I spent the better part of a day fixing my
>>problem, and not once did I look at the device manager - I knew what
>>the problem was, I didn't need a GUI saying my mouse didn't work.
>>
>>Fact is I kept running MAIN.CPL to see how I was doing.

Well, that would only show you if the the mouse itself was working.
Nothing else. A bit limiting.

> What program did you associate with main.cpl to veiw it?

Rundll32.exe. All the icons in control panel (along with a few others) are
cpl files.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

of<(E-Mail Removed)>:

> hwf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>>You know, as I mentioned I spent the better part of a day fixing my
>>>problem, and not once did I look at the device manager - I knew what
>>>the problem was, I didn't need a GUI saying my mouse didn't work.
>>>
>>>Fact is I kept running MAIN.CPL to see how I was doing.

>>What program did you associate with main.cpl to veiw it?
>>
>>TIA

><Grin> the run command.
>
>Left WinKey+R, will open the Run command <type in>
>MAIN.CPL
><enter>

Must be an NT based program? I get an error message asking for a
program to associate the file with.

chuckcar

hwf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:h4f4ba$qm4$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> (E-Mail Removed) pinched out a steaming pile
> of<(E-Mail Removed)>:

>>>What program did you associate with main.cpl to veiw it?
>>>
>>>TIA

>><Grin> the run command.
>>
>>Left WinKey+R, will open the Run command <type in>
>>MAIN.CPL
>><enter>
>>

> Must be an NT based program? I get an error message asking for a
> program to associate the file with.

Rundll32.exe - found in the windows directory. That's the program that
launches executables, so the difference is minimal really.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )