Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > Asking questions

Asking questions

Montkim

Is there any specific process for asking questions about puter problems?

--
Thanks to you all for any help you can give me or your welcome if I happened
to help someone else by accident lol.

Montkim

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

"Montkim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there any specific process for asking questions about puter problems?

1. Ask in the correct forum.

2. Include background information on the configuration of the computer with
the problem.

3. Describe *exactly* what the problem is, how it's created, steps to
reproduce the problem.

4. Describe *everything* that you've done to attempt to solve the problem.

Oh, and, did I mention:

Ask in the correct forum.

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

Montkim

Thanks Lawrence;

Like I said being almost puter illiterate....what do you mean by the
"correct forum"
--

"Lawrence Garvin [MVP]" wrote:

> "Montkim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Is there any specific process for asking questions about puter problems?

> 1. Ask in the correct forum.
>
> 2. Include background information on the configuration of the computer with
> the problem.
>
> 3. Describe *exactly* what the problem is, how it's created, steps to
> reproduce the problem.
>
> 4. Describe *everything* that you've done to attempt to solve the problem.
>
> Oh, and, did I mention:
>
> Ask in the correct forum.
>

> --
> Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

John R

"Montkim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Lawrence;
>
> Like I said being almost puter illiterate....what do you mean by the
> "correct forum"

Well, this group is microsoft.public.certification. The operative word
there is 'certification'. If you have a question about Microsoft
certifications that isn't specifically addressed by some other newsgroup,
this would be the place.

Other groups on this news server include....

microsoft.public.outlook
microsoft.public.outlookexpressgeneral
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely

This is just a small sample. Depending on your newsgroup reader, there are
various ways to see all of the groups available on any particular server.
You should find the group that most closely matches whatever your issue is,
and start with that group.

And, (please don't take this the wrong way), you'll find that you'll get the
most help if you follow all of Lawrence's advice, and if you post in plain
english and avoid slang or 'cute' sayings like "puter". The people who post
on all of these forums understand that not everyone is a computer expert,
and it is much easier to offer assistance when they know exactly what you
are saying. If you say "puter", one might point you to something like
alt.public.figurines.

Good Luck to you.

John R