Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > war file sought

war file sought

Roedy Green

Does anyone have a tiny self-contained war file I could post in the
Java glossary to help people understand the structure and pieces
needed?

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"For reason that have a lot to do with US Government bureaucracy, we settled on the one issue everyone could agree on, which was weapons of mass destruction."
~ Paul Wolfowitz 2003-06, explaining how the Bush administration sold the Iraq war to a gullible public.

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy Green wrote:
> Does anyone have a tiny self-contained war file I could post in the
> Java glossary to help people understand the structure and pieces
> needed?

Why ask?

If the accompanying text is to have any value, then you need to
be able to create a valid one yourself.

And if you want a real one, then there are plenty of pre
packaged Java web apps available on the net.

Arne

John B. Matthews

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Does anyone have a tiny self-contained war file I could post in the
> Java glossary to help people understand the structure and pieces
> needed?

You could link to a popular servlet container's examples:

<http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/trunk/webapps/>

I think these are exploded archives, discussed here:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_WAR_(file_format)>

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com

Roedy Green

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 09:51:31 -0400, Arne Vajhøj <(E-Mail Removed)>

>If the accompanying text is to have any value, then you need to
>be able to create a valid one yourself.
>
>And if you want a real one, then there are plenty of pre
>packaged Java web apps available on the net.

I need permission to post it on my site. There is lots of detail
documentation on how to create one, but nothing beats a complete
example to pull it all together.

Ideally it would be a hello world like app that is well-commented.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"The industrial civilisation is based on the consumption of energy resources that are inherently limited in quantity, and that are about to become scarce. When they do, competition for what remains will trigger dramatic economic and geopolitical events; in the end, it may be impossible for even a single nation to sustain industrialism as we have know it in the twentieth century."
~ Richard Heinberg, The Party’s Over: Oil, War, and the Fate of Industrial Societies

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy Green wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 09:51:31 -0400, Arne Vajhøj <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> If the accompanying text is to have any value, then you need to
>> be able to create a valid one yourself.
>>
>> And if you want a real one, then there are plenty of pre
>> packaged Java web apps available on the net.

> I need permission to post it on my site.

Not if it is open source.

Arne

Roedy Green

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 13:37:49 -0700, "Peter Duniho"
someone who said :

>If you've got any business providing a reference with respect to what a
>.war file is, then you already know how to make a suitable one yourself.

I don't and I don't have the resources in energy or money to set up a
server to do it. Much as I roar at people on the net, physically I
have the energy of a 90 year old.

I have received an offer of such a file by email.
--

Roedy Green wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 13:37:49 -0700, "Peter Duniho"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
> someone who said :
>> If you've got any business providing a reference with respect to what a
>> .war file is, then you already know how to make a suitable one yourself.

> I don't and I don't have the resources in energy or money to set up a
> server to do it.

I would assume Tomcat can run on any system capable of running
a modern browser/newsreader.

Arne

Daniel Pitts

Roedy Green wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 13:37:49 -0700, "Peter Duniho"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
> someone who said :
>
>> If you've got any business providing a reference with respect to what a
>> .war file is, then you already know how to make a suitable one yourself.

> I don't and I don't have the resources in energy or money to set up a
> server to do it. Much as I roar at people on the net, physically I
> have the energy of a 90 year old.
>
> I have received an offer of such a file by email.

I don't believe you need a server to build a war file. You only need a
server to *use* it.

And anyway, for testing purposes, many app containers (including free
ones) will run on less-than-stellar machines.

Roedy Green

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 11:31:05 -0700, Daniel Pitts
quoted someone who said :

>> I have received an offer of such a file by email.

>I don't believe you need a server to build a war file. You only need a
>server to *use* it.

It would be a multi-day job to set up a server, build a small app, and
make sure it all works. I hoped somebody had already done that. It
seems plausible. Creating a mini-app is a common way to get familiar
with new tools.
--

Roedy Green wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 11:31:05 -0700, Daniel Pitts
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly
> quoted someone who said :
>
>>> I have received an offer of such a file by email.

>> I don't believe you need a server to build a war file. You only need a
>> server to *use* it.

> It would be a multi-day job to set up a server, build a small app, and
> make sure it all works. I hoped somebody had already done that. It
> seems plausible. Creating a mini-app is a common way to get familiar
> with new tools.

So far, its been a multi-day job begging for it

Download resin 3
Build your war
Install it
run it.