Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > New Copyright laws..

New Copyright laws..

Woger

Why are these new laws all popping up all over the western world at the same
time, me thinks its the US waving a big stick, if you trade with us them you
must have strict punishable laws for copyright abusers, or you will not be
able to sell you goods here.

Peter

Woger wrote:
> Why are these new laws all popping up all over the western world at the
> same time, me thinks its the US waving a big stick, if you trade with us
> them you must have strict punishable laws for copyright abusers, or you
> will not be able to sell you goods here.

Yes, that is pretty much the case. There is no secret about it.
USA is trying to tell developing countries that they need to enact
oppressive copyright laws (so the USA corporations make more money).

Actually, what developing countries need is the type of copyright laws that
USA had when it was a developing country in the 19th century. Back then,
USA media industry freely copied whatever foreign material they liked
(Charles Dickens was a favourite) and only had to respect local copyright
material.

For another angle on modern trends where media law and technology
intersects, check out the video from this site ...
http://www.ripremix.com/

Peter

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Woger wrote:

> Why are these new laws all popping up all over the western world at the
> same time ...

Something to do with all this file sharing popping up all over the western
world at the same time?

E. Scrooge

"Woger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Why are these new laws all popping up all over the western world at the
> same
> time, me thinks its the US waving a big stick, if you trade with us them
> you
> must have strict punishable laws for copyright abusers, or you will not be
> able to sell you goods here.

Welcome to Earth, Alien.

E. Scrooge

Peter

Woger wrote:

> Why are these new laws all popping up all over the western world at the
> same time, me thinks its the US waving a big stick, if you trade with us
> them you must have strict punishable laws for copyright abusers, or you
> will not be able to sell you goods here.

The idea that companies with obsolete business models, or entrenched
interests could use copyright law to rip off consumers and artists is not
new.

USA debate from 1909
http://www.thepublicdomain.org/2009/...100-years-ago/

UK debate from 1841
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/4/25/1345/03329

The striking thing is that how little is really new in this debate, and how
maybe we *were* smarter back then.

eyes

Woger wrote:

> Why are these new laws all popping up all over the western world at the same
> time, me thinks its the US waving a big stick, if you trade with us them you
> must have strict punishable laws for copyright abusers, or you will not be
> able to sell you goods here.

Especially when most countries seem to quash the new laws they keep on
raising their ugly head.

I suspect its that new ACTA treaty that is so secret we are not allowed
to know what it is about.

impossible

news:h3uc0k$8v8$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Woger wrote:
>>
>> Why are these new laws all popping up all over the western world at the
>> same time, me thinks its the US waving a big stick, if you trade with us
>> them you must have strict punishable laws for copyright abusers, or you
>> will not be able to sell you goods here.

> The idea that companies with obsolete business models, or entrenched
> interests could use copyright law to rip off consumers and artists is not
> new.
>

> USA debate from 1909
> http://www.thepublicdomain.org/2009/...100-years-ago/
>
> UK debate from 1841
> http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/4/25/1345/03329
>
> The striking thing is that how little is really new in this debate, and
> how
> maybe we *were* smarter back then.

What? Nothing from the 17th or 18th centuries to justify illegal downloads?
How disappointing is that!