Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Plans to upgrade to Win 7 64-bit from 32-bit Win XP

Plans to upgrade to Win 7 64-bit from 32-bit Win XP

Big.Doc.D

I bought a full 64-bit capable machine a couple of years ago, and the
Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta seems to say that I won't have too many
problems if I install the 64-bit Win 7. I say "seems to say" because
in some instances it suggests I check the manufacturers web-site.
Have any of you ever tried to find any kind of technical answer on the
HP web-site (for example)?

I originally bought a copy of Win V-Ultimate but it's still sitting on
my bookshelf in it's container, unopened, since I continued to see so
much associated problems, even after Service Packs were available. I
certainly hope Microsoft does a better job with Win 7. I'm a retired
IT type, so I always knew to wait until after at least SP1 to install
a new O/S release, but, as I say, with all the bashing in the
technical journals (mainly) I've so far stayed away from installing V-
Ult. Now, I'm glad I did because I see that V-Ult can only be
upgraded to 7-Ult - what a rip-off.

I have a few problems, however. I realize that to go from XP to 7
requires a complete re-load, and Microsoft says they're supplying a
file save/restore capability pre/post. Will it work if I move from my
XP to 7-64-bit?

Will Win 7-64-bit allow older 32-bit apps to run under it? Including
DOS-based apps? Is Microsoft Office available in 64-bit form? Will
those files be properly converted?

As you can see I think I'll probably still be continuing to run Win XP
for sometime to come. Any comments/suggestions? Can any Microsoft
technical types answer any of these questions ahead of time (marketing
types please do not respond)?

Carlos

Hi,
No current releases of Office are 64-bit native.
The upcoming Office 2010 will have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
In the meantime you can run Office 2007 or 2003 (32-bit) on top of Windows 7
64-bit with no issues.
Older 32-bit applicactions will work in Windows 7 unless:
1.- They have 16-bit installers
2.- They require 32-bit drivers to work

So, most of your older apps should work

DOS applications are 16-bit so they won't run.
You will need some third party application like a Virtual Machine or the
small and freeware DOSBox (http://www.dosbox.com/) to create an environment
where you can run DOS apps.

Windows XP has in its Accessories an utility for transferring files and
settings to newer installations. I have never used it though many in this
forum have.

Best of luck and welcome to the 64-bit world!
Carlos

"Big.Doc.D" wrote:

> I bought a full 64-bit capable machine a couple of years ago, and the
> Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta seems to say that I won't have too many
> problems if I install the 64-bit Win 7. I say "seems to say" because
> in some instances it suggests I check the manufacturers web-site.
> Have any of you ever tried to find any kind of technical answer on the
> HP web-site (for example)?
>
> I originally bought a copy of Win V-Ultimate but it's still sitting on
> my bookshelf in it's container, unopened, since I continued to see so
> much associated problems, even after Service Packs were available. I
> certainly hope Microsoft does a better job with Win 7. I'm a retired
> IT type, so I always knew to wait until after at least SP1 to install
> a new O/S release, but, as I say, with all the bashing in the
> technical journals (mainly) I've so far stayed away from installing V-
> Ult. Now, I'm glad I did because I see that V-Ult can only be
> upgraded to 7-Ult - what a rip-off.
>
> I have a few problems, however. I realize that to go from XP to 7
> requires a complete re-load, and Microsoft says they're supplying a
> file save/restore capability pre/post. Will it work if I move from my
> XP to 7-64-bit?
>
> Will Win 7-64-bit allow older 32-bit apps to run under it? Including
> DOS-based apps? Is Microsoft Office available in 64-bit form? Will
> those files be properly converted?
>
> As you can see I think I'll probably still be continuing to run Win XP
> for sometime to come. Any comments/suggestions? Can any Microsoft
> technical types answer any of these questions ahead of time (marketing
> types please do not respond)?

Jerry

The Win7 forum:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...tegory/w7itpro

"Big.Doc.D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I bought a full 64-bit capable machine a couple of years ago, and the
> Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta seems to say that I won't have too many
> problems if I install the 64-bit Win 7. I say "seems to say" because
> in some instances it suggests I check the manufacturers web-site.
> Have any of you ever tried to find any kind of technical answer on the
> HP web-site (for example)?
>
> I originally bought a copy of Win V-Ultimate but it's still sitting on
> my bookshelf in it's container, unopened, since I continued to see so
> much associated problems, even after Service Packs were available. I
> certainly hope Microsoft does a better job with Win 7. I'm a retired
> IT type, so I always knew to wait until after at least SP1 to install
> a new O/S release, but, as I say, with all the bashing in the
> technical journals (mainly) I've so far stayed away from installing V-
> Ult. Now, I'm glad I did because I see that V-Ult can only be
> upgraded to 7-Ult - what a rip-off.
>
> I have a few problems, however. I realize that to go from XP to 7
> requires a complete re-load, and Microsoft says they're supplying a
> file save/restore capability pre/post. Will it work if I move from my
> XP to 7-64-bit?
>
> Will Win 7-64-bit allow older 32-bit apps to run under it? Including
> DOS-based apps? Is Microsoft Office available in 64-bit form? Will
> those files be properly converted?
>
> As you can see I think I'll probably still be continuing to run Win XP
> for sometime to come. Any comments/suggestions? Can any Microsoft
> technical types answer any of these questions ahead of time (marketing
> types please do not respond)?

Jane C

All 64 bit operating system questions are welcome here in this
newsgroup. Including Windows 7.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2007-2009

Carlos

Jerry,
General consensus (i.e.: this NG regulars) is to accept Win 7 x64 posts.

Carlos

"Jerry" wrote:

> The Win7 forum:
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...tegory/w7itpro
>
> "Big.Doc.D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I bought a full 64-bit capable machine a couple of years ago, and the
> > Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta seems to say that I won't have too many
> > problems if I install the 64-bit Win 7. I say "seems to say" because
> > in some instances it suggests I check the manufacturers web-site.
> > Have any of you ever tried to find any kind of technical answer on the
> > HP web-site (for example)?
> >
> > I originally bought a copy of Win V-Ultimate but it's still sitting on
> > my bookshelf in it's container, unopened, since I continued to see so
> > much associated problems, even after Service Packs were available. I
> > certainly hope Microsoft does a better job with Win 7. I'm a retired
> > IT type, so I always knew to wait until after at least SP1 to install
> > a new O/S release, but, as I say, with all the bashing in the
> > technical journals (mainly) I've so far stayed away from installing V-
> > Ult. Now, I'm glad I did because I see that V-Ult can only be
> > upgraded to 7-Ult - what a rip-off.
> >
> > I have a few problems, however. I realize that to go from XP to 7
> > requires a complete re-load, and Microsoft says they're supplying a
> > file save/restore capability pre/post. Will it work if I move from my
> > XP to 7-64-bit?
> >
> > Will Win 7-64-bit allow older 32-bit apps to run under it? Including
> > DOS-based apps? Is Microsoft Office available in 64-bit form? Will
> > those files be properly converted?
> >
> > As you can see I think I'll probably still be continuing to run Win XP
> > for sometime to come. Any comments/suggestions? Can any Microsoft
> > technical types answer any of these questions ahead of time (marketing
> > types please do not respond)?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yup. Even the "regulars" who disappear for two weeks at a time.

(back now - was on vacation and had far worse connectivity than I expected,
so had to pass on NGs for a bit. I was going through serious withdrawal, but
should be able to recover now that I can get my fix again.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jerry,
> General consensus (i.e.: this NG regulars) is to accept Win 7 x64 posts.
>
> Carlos
>
> "Jerry" wrote:
>
>> The Win7 forum:
>> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...tegory/w7itpro
>>
>> "Big.Doc.D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I bought a full 64-bit capable machine a couple of years ago, and the
>> > Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta seems to say that I won't have too many
>> > problems if I install the 64-bit Win 7. I say "seems to say" because
>> > in some instances it suggests I check the manufacturers web-site.
>> > Have any of you ever tried to find any kind of technical answer on the
>> > HP web-site (for example)?
>> >
>> > I originally bought a copy of Win V-Ultimate but it's still sitting on
>> > my bookshelf in it's container, unopened, since I continued to see so
>> > much associated problems, even after Service Packs were available. I
>> > certainly hope Microsoft does a better job with Win 7. I'm a retired
>> > IT type, so I always knew to wait until after at least SP1 to install
>> > a new O/S release, but, as I say, with all the bashing in the
>> > technical journals (mainly) I've so far stayed away from installing V-
>> > Ult. Now, I'm glad I did because I see that V-Ult can only be
>> > upgraded to 7-Ult - what a rip-off.
>> >
>> > I have a few problems, however. I realize that to go from XP to 7
>> > requires a complete re-load, and Microsoft says they're supplying a
>> > file save/restore capability pre/post. Will it work if I move from my
>> > XP to 7-64-bit?
>> >
>> > Will Win 7-64-bit allow older 32-bit apps to run under it? Including
>> > DOS-based apps? Is Microsoft Office available in 64-bit form? Will
>> > those files be properly converted?
>> >
>> > As you can see I think I'll probably still be continuing to run Win XP
>> > for sometime to come. Any comments/suggestions? Can any Microsoft
>> > technical types answer any of these questions ahead of time (marketing
>> > types please do not respond)?

Carlos

Far worse connectivity. Something your wife must have enjoyed during vacations!

Carlos

Dennis Pack

Charlie:
Welcome back.

--
Dennis Pack
Win-7 RC

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yup. Even the "regulars" who disappear for two weeks at a time.
>
> (back now - was on vacation and had far worse connectivity than I
> expected, so had to pass on NGs for a bit. I was going through serious
> withdrawal, but should be able to recover now that I can get my fix
> again.)
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Jerry,
>> General consensus (i.e.: this NG regulars) is to accept Win 7 x64 posts.
>>
>> Carlos
>>
>> "Jerry" wrote:
>>
>>> The Win7 forum:
>>> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...tegory/w7itpro
>>>
>>> "Big.Doc.D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> signature database 4261 (20090720) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4261 (20090720) __________

http://www.eset.com

Charlie Russel - MVP

Heck no, she was trying to get online too. (I married a geek. Didn't know it
at the time, but turns out she's online more than I am!) But two of the
hotels had abominable wireless, and then her aunt's place was hopeless. So I
managed to read a few emails a day, but that was it. Gave up trying to read
the NGs.

But it's good to be back.

--

Charlie Russel - MVP