Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Is Eternal-September moderated in some way?

Is Eternal-September moderated in some way?

BD2

I've recently joined in with folk on this group called
'24hoursupport.helpdesk'

I've noticed that eternal-september has less messages than the same
group when viewed using news.aioe.org to read messages

Please will you explain why that may be.

Thanks
--
Dave

BD2

I've also received this message when I've tried to post to other groups
on E-S:-

Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject 'Is e-s moderated
in some way?', Account: 'Was - news.motzarella.org', Server:
'news.eternal-september.org', Protocol: NNTP, Server Response: '441
Postings to "eternal-september.where.are.all.the.newsgroups" are not
allowed here', Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 441, Error
Number: 0x800CCCA9

Just wondering why. Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks
--
Dave

"BD2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h3rs64$v2m$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've recently joined in with folk on this group called
> '24hoursupport.helpdesk'
>
> I've noticed that eternal-september has less messages than the same
> group when viewed using news.aioe.org to read messages
>
> Please will you explain why that may be.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Dave

Ray Banana

* BD2 wrote:

> Postings to "eternal-september.where.are.all.the.newsgroups" are not
> allowed here
> Just wondering why. Any ideas, anyone?

Because postings to eternal-september.where.are.all.the.newsgroups are
not allowed? Duh!

--
Too many ingredients in the soup, no room for a spoon
http://www.eternal-september.org

floffy

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 14:44:44 -0700, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 08:04:28 +0100, "BD2" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>I've recently joined in with folk on this group called
>>'24hoursupport.helpdesk'
>>
>>I've noticed that eternal-september has less messages than the same
>>group when viewed using news.aioe.org to read messages
>>
>>Please will you explain why that may be.
>>
>>Thanks

>Differences in the newsfeed source and retention.

Apart could be the filtering

BD2

That seems reasonable.

Is it something that E-S can/should correct?

Thanks for posting, Richard.

--
Dave

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 08:04:28 +0100, "BD2" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I've recently joined in with folk on this group called
>>'24hoursupport.helpdesk'
>>
>>I've noticed that eternal-september has less messages than the same
>>group when viewed using news.aioe.org to read messages
>>
>>Please will you explain why that may be.
>>
>>Thanks

> Differences in the newsfeed source and retention.

Mike Easter

BD2 wrote:
> I've also received this message

Please do not reply post untrimmed without context.

Here's a recommended format:

http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/nquote.shtml Q2: How should I use the
quoted text and arrange it with my own text?

--
Mike Easter

chuckcar

"BD2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:h3ti1k$pji$(E-Mail Removed):

> "richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 08:04:28 +0100, "BD2" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I've recently joined in with folk on this group called
>>>'24hoursupport.helpdesk'
>>>
>>>I've noticed that eternal-september has less messages than the same
>>>group when viewed using news.aioe.org to read messages
>>>
>>>Please will you explain why that may be.
>>>
>>>Thanks

>> Differences in the newsfeed source and retention.

> That seems reasonable.
>
> Is it something that E-S can/should correct?

You can use a newsreader and/or server at your end which retains both the
headers and articles you already have on your computer for the groups you
use.

the 441 error you got has a text message sent with it. Whether OE didn't
give you that message or you thought to exclude it, it *was* the most
relevant part. It relates to you not abiding to the terms of that server,
By things such as crossposting to too many groups, not using the
followup-to header, or perhaps other reasons due to the content of the
message. Take a look at the message along with it's terms of use.

http://www.eternal-september.org/ind...showpage=terms

Top-posting to usenet will garner you no friends. It's considered either
rude or ignorant practice.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

G. Morgan

BD2 wrote:

>I've noticed that eternal-september has less messages than the same
>group when viewed using news.aioe.org to read messages

Are you that interested in reading posts from years ago? If you reply to a
"dead thread", from say 10 months ago, you'll look foolish.

What is more important than retention is completeness. Some servers are
notorious for missing posts, or delaying them for days.

I use a different strategy. I have about 4 free servers all set up and
configured in Forte Agent. I can use the others as 'backup' when my preferred
goes down. Also, if I set all the accounts to 'active' it will scan all
servers for missed articles on the previous scan.

Ray Banana

* G Morgan wrote:
> BD2 wrote:
>>I've noticed that eternal-september has less messages than the same
>>group when viewed using news.aioe.org to read messages

> Are you that interested in reading posts from years ago? If you reply to a
> "dead thread", from say 10 months ago, you'll look foolish.
> What is more important than retention is completeness. Some servers are
> notorious for missing posts, or delaying them for days.

Just a few remarks about the postings in this thread, although I'm afraid
they will fall on deaf ears:

Eternal-September.org has about 18.000 articles for this group as opposed
to ~1.800 on aioe, so the above statement is demonstrably wrong.

The article BD2 reported as missing from Eternal-September.org was actually
*posted* via Eternal-September.org and fed to aioe, so there's no way it
could be missing on Eternal-September.org.

Eternal-September.org does not rely on a single feed, but receives articles
from and propagates articles to more than 50 peers all over the world, so
completeness is not an issue.

Eternal-September.org does, however, filter spam and honours NoCeM messages
from trustworthy sources.

--
Too many ingredients in the soup, no room for a spoon
http://www.eternal-september.org

Barry OGrady

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 09:43:45 +0000 (UTC), Ray Banana
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>* G Morgan wrote:
>> BD2 wrote:
>>>I've noticed that eternal-september has less messages than the same
>>>group when viewed using news.aioe.org to read messages

>> Are you that interested in reading posts from years ago? If you reply to a
>> "dead thread", from say 10 months ago, you'll look foolish.
>> What is more important than retention is completeness. Some servers are
>> notorious for missing posts, or delaying them for days.

>Just a few remarks about the postings in this thread, although I'm afraid
>they will fall on deaf ears:
>
>Eternal-September.org has about 18.000 articles for this group as opposed
>to ~1.800 on aioe, so the above statement is demonstrably wrong.

Surely Eternal-September has more than 18 messages?
Did you mean 18,000?