Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Registry Cleaners

Registry Cleaners

Andy Petro

Are registry cleaners or fixers such as Registry Mechanic worth using.
Every time I try one it finds about 50 to 100 errors but to fix them I
would have to pay and download it . I think I have some registry problems
but could they not be fixed by using the Win XP operating system disk in the
repair portion.

G. Morgan

nobody > wrote:

>There is no program that can be guaranteed to "fix" all registry errors.
>Some people here will say that no registry cleaner program is good.
>
>Having said that, I've used RM and Norton "registry repair" utilities in
>the past, but find that CCleaner (*free*, http://www.ccleaner.com/)
>works just as well. *DO* make a registry backup before using it.

IAWTP

VanguardLH

Andy Petro wrote:

> Are registry cleaners or fixers such as Registry Mechanic worth using.
> Every time I try one it finds about 50 to 100 errors but to fix them I
> would have to pay and download it . I think I have some registry problems
> but could they not be fixed by using the Win XP operating system disk in the
> repair portion.

Why the uneducated should never use registry cleaners

Do you have a backup & restore plan in place? When (and not if) the
registry cleaner corrupts your registry and when you can no longer boot
into Windows, just how are you going to restore that OS partition so it
is usable again? Even if you use a registry cleaner that provides for
backups of its changes so you can revert back to the prior state, how
are you going to perform that restore if you cannot boot the OS after
hosing over its registry? What about entries in the registry that look
to be orphaned under the current OS load instance but are used under a
different OS environment? You delete what looks orphaned only to find
out that they are required under a different environment.

Say there was an unusually high amount of orphaned entries in your
registry, like 4MB. By deleting the orphaned entries, you would speed
up how long it takes Windows to load the registry's files when it starts
up - by all of maybe 1 second. Oooh, aaah. All that risk of modifying
the registry to save maybe a second, or less, during the Windows
startup. Most folks that clean the registry end up deleting only 10KB,
or less. They are doing nothing to improve their Windows load time.
Since the registry is only read from the memory copy of it, and since
memory is random access, there is no difference to read one byte of the
registry (in memory) from the another byte in the registry (also in
memory). The extra data in memory for orphaned entries has no effect on
the time to retrieve items from the memory copy of the registry.

Cleaning the registry will NOT improve performance in reading from the
memory copy of the registry. The reduced size of the registry's .dat
files might reduce the load time of Windows by all of a second and
probably much less. And you want to risk the stability of your OS for
inconsequential changes to its registry? The same boobs that get
suckered into these registry cleanup "tools" are the same ones that get
suckered into the memory defragment "tools".

A registry cleaner should only be used if you yourself can correctly
cleanup the registry. The cleaner is just a tool to automate the same
process but you should know every change that it intends to make and
understand each of those changes. After all, and regardless of the
stagnant expertise coded into the utility, *YOU* are the final authority
in what registry changes are performed whether you do it manually or
with a utility. If YOU do not understand the proposed change (which
requires the product actually divulge the proposed change before
committing that change), how will you know whether or not to allow that
change?

Singapore Computer Service

Hello,

Opinions vary. There was a recent discussion thread on this in the xp
general newsgroup.
See
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...c8e792e64d11dd

We recommend staying away from registry cleaners. If you want a clean
registry, clean install XP.
--
Regards,
Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
"Andy Petro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h3r5n6$qc4$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Are registry cleaners or fixers such as Registry Mechanic worth using.
> Every time I try one it finds about 50 to 100 errors but to fix them I
> would have to pay and download it . I think I have some registry problems
> but could they not be fixed by using the Win XP operating system disk in
> the repair portion.

Aardvark

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 14:16:30 +0800, Singapore Computer Service wrote:

> Hell

< http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/nquote.shtml >

FYI

Aardvark

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 09:32:52 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 20:34:57 -0400, "Andy Petro"
> <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:
>
>>Are registry cleaners or fixers such as Registry Mechanic worth using.

> Nyet.

I wish I was a polyglot.

hwf

Andy Petro <(E-Mail Removed)> pinched out a steaming pile
of<h3r5n6$qc4$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>:

> Are registry cleaners or fixers such as Registry Mechanic worth

using.
> Every time I try one it finds about 50 to 100 errors but to fix

them I
> would have to pay and download it . I think I have some registry

problems
> but could they not be fixed by using the Win XP operating system disk

in the
> repair portion.

Regedit is free...comes with your copy of micro$uck.

FYI
HTH

^_^

hwf

In message <_sk8m.7973$(E-Mail Removed)2>, Aardvark wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 09:32:52 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 20:34:57 -0400, "Andy Petro"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:
> >
> >>Are registry cleaners or fixers such as Registry Mechanic worth using.

> > Nyet.

> I wish I was a polyglot.

Polyglot want a cracker?

^_^

--
http://www.milksucks.com/pus.asp
-James Madison

PA Bear [MS-MVP]

If you think your Registry needs to be "cleaned" or "repaired," read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.