Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Dimdows Media Center a Flop?

Dimdows Media Center a Flop?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

<http://content.zdnet.com/2346-9595_22-321513-7.html>

Yeah, all right...

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> <http://content.zdnet.com/2346-9595_22-321513-7.html>
>
> Yeah, all right...

Pointless Lawrence, absolutely pointless...

I still prefer Media centre in Vista to the mess that is MythTV.
MythTV is fine for geeks with enough time on their hands to try
and set it up (which is confusing and a lengthy process), but
for me media centre just does what it should. Meanwhile in my
latest distro MythTV is not working, and previously when it did
work I had to tear hair out to figure out how to get it working.

Popularity isn't everything, and even if you tell me MythTV is
popular who is it popular with? A bunch of tech-savvy Linux
guys, thats who. Certainly not the general PC using public...

Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

JohnO

On Jul 18, 1:48*pm, Chris Wilkinson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> > <http://content.zdnet.com/2346-9595_22-321513-7.html>

> > Yeah, all right...

> Pointless Lawrence, absolutely pointless...
>
> I still prefer Media centre in Vista to the mess that is MythTV.
> MythTV is fine for geeks with enough time on their hands to try
> and set it up (which is confusing and a lengthy process), but
> for me media centre just does what it should. Meanwhile in my
> latest distro MythTV is not working, and previously when it did
> work I had to tear hair out to figure out how to get it working.
>
> Popularity isn't everything, and even if you tell me MythTV is
> popular who is it popular with? A bunch of tech-savvy Linux
> guys, thats who. Certainly not the general PC using public...
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

If you are running windows, GBPVR is the best IMHO.

Gordon

On 2009-07-18, Chris Wilkinson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> <http://content.zdnet.com/2346-9595_22-321513-7.html>
>>
>> Yeah, all right...

> Pointless Lawrence, absolutely pointless...
>
> I still prefer Media centre in Vista to the mess that is MythTV.
> MythTV is fine for geeks with enough time on their hands to try
> and set it up (which is confusing and a lengthy process), but
> for me media centre just does what it should. Meanwhile in my
> latest distro MythTV is not working, and previously when it did
> work I had to tear hair out to figure out how to get it working.

MythTV is a whole Linux distro on its own, as in get one and install it.
MythDora (out of Fedora) is great. Just follow the instructions on the
screen. Of course you need to know what values to put in but that is needed
no matter what OS/pgm you use.

> Popularity isn't everything, and even if you tell me MythTV is
> popular who is it popular with? A bunch of tech-savvy Linux
> guys, thats who. Certainly not the general PC using public...

Well there is at least one commerical system based on MythTV.

Still choice is great eh?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gordon wrote:

> MythTV is a whole Linux distro on its own ...

No it's not.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Gordon wrote:
> On 2009-07-18, Chris Wilkinson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>> <http://content.zdnet.com/2346-9595_22-321513-7.html>
>>>
>>> Yeah, all right...

>> Pointless Lawrence, absolutely pointless...
>>
>> I still prefer Media centre in Vista to the mess that is MythTV.
>> MythTV is fine for geeks with enough time on their hands to try
>> and set it up (which is confusing and a lengthy process), but
>> for me media centre just does what it should. Meanwhile in my
>> latest distro MythTV is not working, and previously when it did
>> work I had to tear hair out to figure out how to get it working.

> MythTV is a whole Linux distro on its own, as in get one and install it.
> MythDora (out of Fedora) is great. Just follow the instructions on the
> screen. Of course you need to know what values to put in but that is needed
> no matter what OS/pgm you use.

Vista MCE asked me where I lived. It then could download channels
for my area, and TV listings. Very simple. MythTV sent me on a
wild goose chase setting up mysql, xmltv, remotes, channels etc.

I'm not in a position to repartition my hard drives just to allow
the installation of one particular software that still will need
me to spend a long time configuring. It should be as easy as me
telling the software where I live. The software should be able to
find the DVB-T card, download the list of channels for my location,
set up the mysql db, set up and grab the xmltv listings, and then
just let me watch and record TV. Vista MCE is much more friendly
in that regard.

>> Popularity isn't everything, and even if you tell me MythTV is
>> popular who is it popular with? A bunch of tech-savvy Linux
>> guys, thats who. Certainly not the general PC using public...

> Well there is at least one commerical system based on MythTV.

Yes, finely tuned and set up ready to go for the intended
market. That comes at a cost - the hardware its installed
on. For those wanting to install on an existing system they
will have to do the set up themselves.

> Still choice is great eh?

Choice is great but it helps if the alternatives hold their
own against the established fold - in the case of PVR and/or
media centre style software MythTV loses badly against Vista
MCE and its variants, due to its over complex setup and lack
of user-friendliness. I like XBMC (some killer interface themes)
but that is yet to get a PVR style module.

Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

Stephen Worthington

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 20:20:47 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>Gordon wrote:
>> On 2009-07-18, Chris Wilkinson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Hi there,

>>> Pointless Lawrence, absolutely pointless...
>>>
>>> I still prefer Media centre in Vista to the mess that is MythTV.
>>> MythTV is fine for geeks with enough time on their hands to try
>>> and set it up (which is confusing and a lengthy process), but
>>> for me media centre just does what it should. Meanwhile in my
>>> latest distro MythTV is not working, and previously when it did
>>> work I had to tear hair out to figure out how to get it working.

>> MythTV is a whole Linux distro on its own, as in get one and install it.
>> MythDora (out of Fedora) is great. Just follow the instructions on the
>> screen. Of course you need to know what values to put in but that is needed
>> no matter what OS/pgm you use.

>Vista MCE asked me where I lived. It then could download channels
>for my area, and TV listings. Very simple. MythTV sent me on a
>wild goose chase setting up mysql, xmltv, remotes, channels etc.

Vista MCE supports Australia, but not New Zealand.

>I'm not in a position to repartition my hard drives just to allow
>the installation of one particular software that still will need
>me to spend a long time configuring. It should be as easy as me
>telling the software where I live. The software should be able to
>find the DVB-T card, download the list of channels for my location,
>set up the mysql db, set up and grab the xmltv listings, and then
>just let me watch and record TV. Vista MCE is much more friendly
>in that regard.
>
>>> Popularity isn't everything, and even if you tell me MythTV is
>>> popular who is it popular with? A bunch of tech-savvy Linux
>>> guys, thats who. Certainly not the general PC using public...

>> Well there is at least one commerical system based on MythTV.

>Yes, finely tuned and set up ready to go for the intended
>market. That comes at a cost - the hardware its installed
>on. For those wanting to install on an existing system they
>will have to do the set up themselves.
>
>> Still choice is great eh?

>Choice is great but it helps if the alternatives hold their
>own against the established fold - in the case of PVR and/or
>media centre style software MythTV loses badly against Vista
>MCE and its variants, due to its over complex setup and lack
>of user-friendliness. I like XBMC (some killer interface themes)
>but that is yet to get a PVR style module.

Complex setup, yes indeed MythTV has big problems there. User
friendliness once set up? MythTV is great. And much more powerful
than MCE.

Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 20:20:47 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Gordon wrote:

>>> MythTV is a whole Linux distro on its own, as in get one and install it.
>>> MythDora (out of Fedora) is great. Just follow the instructions on the
>>> screen. Of course you need to know what values to put in but that is needed
>>> no matter what OS/pgm you use.

>> Vista MCE asked me where I lived. It then could download channels
>> for my area, and TV listings. Very simple. MythTV sent me on a
>> wild goose chase setting up mysql, xmltv, remotes, channels etc.

> Vista MCE supports Australia, but not New Zealand.

So bitch to Microsoft NZ about it. You wont get what you want by
bitching about it in here...

>> I'm not in a position to repartition my hard drives just to allow
>> the installation of one particular software that still will need
>> me to spend a long time configuring. It should be as easy as me
>> telling the software where I live. The software should be able to
>> find the DVB-T card, download the list of channels for my location,
>> set up the mysql db, set up and grab the xmltv listings, and then
>> just let me watch and record TV. Vista MCE is much more friendly
>> in that regard.

>>> Well there is at least one commerical system based on MythTV.

>> Yes, finely tuned and set up ready to go for the intended
>> market. That comes at a cost - the hardware its installed
>> on. For those wanting to install on an existing system they
>> will have to do the set up themselves.
>>
>>> Still choice is great eh?

>> Choice is great but it helps if the alternatives hold their
>> own against the established fold - in the case of PVR and/or
>> media centre style software MythTV loses badly against Vista
>> MCE and its variants, due to its over complex setup and lack
>> of user-friendliness. I like XBMC (some killer interface themes)
>> but that is yet to get a PVR style module.

> Complex setup, yes indeed MythTV has big problems there. User
> friendliness once set up? MythTV is great. And much more powerful
> than MCE.

I tend to disagree to a degree. The process of updating your channel
listings I believe is totally separate to running MythTV itself I
believe? Simple things like that kill it for me. I want to just run
the frontend, and watch/setup recordings, not have to bugger around
making sure I've got the most recent listings.

On Jul 21, 2:20*pm, Chris Wilkinson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi there,
>

> Stephen Worthington wrote:
> > On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 20:20:47 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Hi there,

> >> Vista MCE asked me where I lived. It then could download channels
> >> for my area, and TV listings. Very simple. MythTV sent me on a
> >> wild goose chase setting up mysql, xmltv, remotes, channels etc.

> > Vista MCE supports Australia, but not New Zealand.

> So bitch to Microsoft NZ about it. You wont get what you want by
> bitching about it in here...

It's not Microsoft's problem. The problem is that SkyNZ will not
provide their EPG data whereas the Aussie pay TV companies do. Sky are
tying to monopolise the PVR market with their MySky product.

However as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, there are good sources
of EPG data available and utilities to shoe-horn the data into your
HTPC application be it MythTV, MCE, GBPVR, MediaPortal or whatever.

Did I mention that GBPVR is best?

> >> I'm not in a position to repartition my hard drives just to allow
> >> the installation of one particular software that still will need
> >> me to spend a long time configuring. It should be as easy as me
> >> telling the software where I live. The software should be able to
> >> find the DVB-T card, download the list of channels for my location,
> >> set up the mysql db, set up and grab the xmltv listings, and then
> >> just let me watch and record TV. Vista MCE is much more friendly
> >> in that regard.

> >> Yes, finely tuned and set up ready to go for the intended
> >> market. That comes at a cost - the hardware its installed
> >> on. For those wanting to install on an existing system they
> >> will have to do the set up themselves.

> >> Choice is great but it helps if the alternatives hold their
> >> own against the established fold - in the case of PVR and/or
> >> media centre style software MythTV loses badly against Vista
> >> MCE and its variants, due to its over complex setup and lack
> >> of user-friendliness. I like XBMC (some killer interface themes)
> >> but that is yet to get a PVR style module.

> > Complex setup, yes indeed MythTV has big problems there. *User
> > friendliness once set up? *MythTV is great. *And much more powerful
> > than MCE.

> I tend to disagree to a degree. The process of updating your channel
> listings I believe is totally separate to running MythTV itself I
> believe? Simple things like that kill it for me. I want to just run
> the frontend, and watch/setup recordings, not have to bugger around
> making sure I've got the most recent listings.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

victor

JohnO wrote:
> On Jul 21, 2:20 pm, Chris Wilkinson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>

>> Stephen Worthington wrote:
>>> Vista MCE supports Australia, but not New Zealand.

>> So bitch to Microsoft NZ about it. You wont get what you want by
>> bitching about it in here...

> It's not Microsoft's problem. The problem is that SkyNZ will not
> provide their EPG data whereas the Aussie pay TV companies do. Sky are
> tying to monopolise the PVR market with their MySky product.
>
> However as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, there are good sources
> of EPG data available and utilities to shoe-horn the data into your
> HTPC application be it MythTV, MCE, GBPVR, MediaPortal or whatever.
>
> Did I mention that GBPVR is best?

Its great, but its faster to download the programmes I want to watch
than record them in real time with a PVR PC whatever the flavour.
I've built up several, all the ones you mentioned, figured out the epg
ripping etc, now I just download what I want, watch in in a media
player, Handbrake it for the iPod, stick it on the netbook. The tuner
component and the epg just gets more redundant and difficult to manage.
It was fun, but the tuner cards are just being used to watch real time
FTA channels once in a while.