Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Where do I get Micro SD cards in 4GB that are NOT "HC"

Re: Where do I get Micro SD cards in 4GB that are NOT "HC"

Mike Easter

Sarah Austin wrote:
> I have one of these things:
> http://www.pimall.com/nais/picamstickultra.html
>
> Yes, I know now that they're being sold on Ebay for about half of that,
> but I didn't know when I bought it.
>
> Anyway, I was told that it needed a 4gb micro sd card that wasnt "HC"

> take advantage of the full 4gb. I bought one, specifying that it not be
> HC, but when it arrived, it was. I used it anyway, and lo and behold,

it
> only records about 1.5gb then stops. Drat.
>
> But it seems that ALL 4gb micro SD cards are now HC, I cant find one
> without HC.
>
> Does anyone know where I can find one without HC, where it will

actually
> be without HC when I get it?

If you are interested in understanding the problem, the wiki does a
pretty good job of explaining it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card
5 - Different types of MMC/SD cards
* 5.1 Compatibility issues with 2 GB and larger cards
* 5.2 SD (non-SDHC) cards with greater than 1 GB capacity

What it amounts to is that the format of standard non-HC wasn't
'standardized' for larger cards such as a 4G card, so then compatibility
problems developed.

You have demonstrated that you should not buy a card which is labeled as
HC for your device. The problem is that you probably shouldn't mailorder
a 4G card which is *NOT* labeled as HC, because there may (still) be
compatibility problems, in addition to the fact that you will have a hard
time finding one.

Your only option is to shop locally and try to find a non-HC which will
actually work properly in your device -- that is, in a storefront your
position as a customer should be that you will only buy the card if it
works properly in your device.

You might be able to save money by buying two or more smaller cards.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Sarah Austin wrote:
> "Mike Easter"

>> What it amounts to is that the format of standard non-HC wasn't
>> 'standardized' for larger cards such as a 4G card, so then
>> compatibility problems developed.

>> Your only option is to shop locally and try to find a non-HC which
>> will actually work properly in your device -- that is, in a
>> storefront your position as a customer should be that you will only
>> buy the card if it works properly in your device.
>>
>> You might be able to save money by buying two or more smaller cards.

> It's weird because some ebay sellers are selling the thing with 8gb
> cards included, so they gotta be HC, right?

No. They are (standard) 'nonstandard' - non-HC - 8g.

The link you showed earlier showed nonstandards (standard non-HC) which
'fit' the device up to 8g. Snip below.

> So how do they find compatible ones?

They might've bought them from the original source which offers
additional cards.

It is all about 'matching'. How are you going to match something
nonstandard (some work, some don't work) without matching/trying it?

<snip>
Micro SD Cards For Your New Generation High Resolution Ultra Advanced
Mini PI CamStick

2GB SD Card $25.00
4GB SD Card $30.00
8GB SD Card $39.00