Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Free Access to NGs

Reply
Thread Tools

Free Access to NGs

 
 
john royce
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2009

"Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Martin wrote:
>
>> The NGs that I regularly visit, and to which I post from time to time,
>> are this one, alt.comp.freeware, and the Microsoft Office related
>> groups.
>>
>> My Usenet provider is evidently Easynews.com.

>
> It makes absolutely no sense for you to pay $10 a month to a news
> provider whose fee structure is designed for some subset of binary group
> users. I don't know why you would have made that choice.
>
> You can divide usenet access into groups: free and nearly free text
> providers, block binary (and text) providers, and monthly fee binary
> providers. I wouldn't put googlegroups on the list except for search.
>
>> In order to trim costs, I'm thinking of cancelling my subscription, but
>> only if a suitable alternative is available.

>
> Almost all text-only newsers should use free or nearly free, preferably
> from more than one provider, which is well administered. That is, have a
> free or nearly free account and have a back-up or alternative.
>
>> Is there a Usenet provider, other than Google Groups, that provides

> free
>> access to the above groups? If so, can you recommend one or more over
>> others, and why?

>
> Googlegroups is a terrible way to read and post to usenet. GG should
> only be used for usenet searches not for reading or posting usenet.
> There are also googlespecific groups which one can only read and post to
> via GG.
>
>> If Google Groups is the only free Usenet provider, is there a way to
>> access Google Groups from within my e-mail client (OE6)

>
> No.
>
>> or at desktop
>> (via a news feeder)? If not, am I left with having to access Google
>> Groups at web level?

>
> Yes. And many other things wrong.
>
>> Further, if I do access GGs from within my client or at web level, are
>> munged e-mail addresses permitted?

>
> In order to GG post, you must login with a registered account, which
> registered account has to be a working email address. You cannot munge
> that login address. It is distributed to all news servers unmunged. It
> is only munged for GG users.
>
>> As always, any and all recommendations and comments are appreciated.

>
> There are a number of free news providers in addition to
> eternal-september which has already been mentioned.
>
> You also need to learn how to reply post to news messages. You reply
> posted by top posting which shows no trimming or context. You need to
> learn how to trim and context your reply.
>
> http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/nquote.shtml # Q2: How should I use the
> quoted text and arrange it with my own text? - # Q3: Why shouldn't I
> quote the entire posting that I'm responding to?
> Mike Easter


I know eternal-september is a good free newsgroup provider for text only
newsgroups; but is there a free provider that anyone knows of that supplies
binaries (pictures), please?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Fog Ducker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2009

"john royce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> I know eternal-september is a good free newsgroup provider for text only
> newsgroups; but is there a free provider that anyone knows of that
> supplies binaries (pictures), please?


For pics, you gotta pay . . .

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Fog Ducker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2009

"john royce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> I know eternal-september is a good free newsgroup provider for text only
> newsgroups; but is there a free provider that anyone knows of that
> supplies binaries (pictures), please?


For pics, you gotta pay . . .

 
Reply With Quote
 
Evan Platt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-18-2009
On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 10:12:20 +1000, Barry OGrady <god_free_jones>
wrote:

>You should try to avoid top posting.


And you should avoid middle posting.

Didn't I killfile you a long time ago?
--
To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Martin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-19-2009
Hello,

I wish to thank those posters who took the time to reply.

I was unaware that free access to NGs existed other than through GGs.

Have an enjoyable Sunday.

Martin

"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CjT7m.292130$(E-Mail Removed)1.easynews.com...
> Hello,
>
> The NGs that I regularly visit, and to which I post from time to time, are
> this one, alt.comp.freeware, and the Microsoft Office related groups.
>
> My Usenet provider is evidently Easynews.com.
>
> In order to trim costs, I'm thinking of cancelling my subscription, but
> only if a suitable alternative is available.
>
> Is there a Usenet provider, other than Google Groups, that provides free
> access to the above groups? If so, can you recommend one or more over
> others, and why?
>
> If Google Groups is the only free Usenet provider, is there a way to
> access Google Groups from within my e-mail client (OE6) or at desktop (via
> a news feeder)? If not, am I left with having to access Google Groups at
> web level?
>
> Further, if I do access GGs from within my client or at web level, are
> munged e-mail addresses permitted?
>
> As always, any and all recommendations and comments are appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Martin
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to Have Only Unread Msgs Showing When 1st Accessing NGs Herb Firefox 3 02-04-2005 09:58 PM
Can I download Freeserve NGs on NTL connection? Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt Computer Support 15 07-06-2004 10:28 PM
OE Ngs. Qintin Computer Support 3 05-22-2004 10:36 PM
Other ngs Situation Toasted Computer Support 2 12-12-2003 11:56 AM
Help with NGs tom jackson Computer Support 2 11-19-2003 11:38 PM



Advertisments