Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Free Access to NGs

Free Access to NGs

Martin

Hello,

The NGs that I regularly visit, and to which I post from time to time, are
this one, alt.comp.freeware, and the Microsoft Office related groups.

My Usenet provider is evidently Easynews.com.

In order to trim costs, I'm thinking of cancelling my subscription, but only
if a suitable alternative is available.

Is there a Usenet provider, other than Google Groups, that provides free
access to the above groups? If so, can you recommend one or more over
others, and why?

If Google Groups is the only free Usenet provider, is there a way to access
Google Groups from within my e-mail client (OE6) or at desktop (via a news
feeder)? If not, am I left with having to access Google Groups at web level?

Further, if I do access GGs from within my client or at web level, are
munged e-mail addresses permitted?

As always, any and all recommendations and comments are appreciated.

Regards,

Martin

OldGringo38

Two Cents To The Martin Post:

http://www.eternal-september.org/

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere

Martin

Talk about fast!! TY!

Only 4 minutes elapsed between my post and your reply!!

According to Eternal September's Terms of Use (Sender Address
The e-mail addresses given in "From:", "Reply-To:", and "Sender:" SHOULD be
yours (i.e. you should be entitled to use it) and SHOULD be valid (= should
not bounce because of invalidity). Using addresses and name space of other
people without their consent is prohibited. For the From: address, however,
the Top Level Domain (TLD) invalid may be used, as in
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid. See also RFC2606 and Usenet Best Practice.), it
APPEARS that munged From: e-mail addresses are disallowed.

That said, sometimes there is a difference between what the Terms state and
what people actually do.

With regard to Eternal September, will my munged addy,
(E-Mail Removed)am, be allowed or will I be required to modify it
to (E-Mail Removed)lid?

Once again, thank you for your very prompt reply!

Martin

news:h3ovon$tn0$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

Good Luck

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
http://www.NuBoy-Industries.com

1PW

Martin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The NGs that I regularly visit, and to which I post from time to time, are
> this one, alt.comp.freeware, and the Microsoft Office related groups.
>
> My Usenet provider is evidently Easynews.com.
>
> In order to trim costs, I'm thinking of cancelling my subscription, but only
> if a suitable alternative is available.
>
> Is there a Usenet provider, other than Google Groups, that provides free
> access to the above groups? If so, can you recommend one or more over
> others, and why?
>
> If Google Groups is the only free Usenet provider, is there a way to access
> Google Groups from within my e-mail client (OE6) or at desktop (via a news
> feeder)? If not, am I left with having to access Google Groups at web level?
>
> Further, if I do access GGs from within my client or at web level, are
> munged e-mail addresses permitted?
>
> As always, any and all recommendations and comments are appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Martin

http://www.eternal-september.org/

--
1PW @?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

Sunny

"1PW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h3p50i$5do$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Martin wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> The NGs that I regularly visit, and to which I post from time to time,
>> are
>> this one, alt.comp.freeware, and the Microsoft Office related groups.
>>
>> My Usenet provider is evidently Easynews.com.
>>
>> In order to trim costs, I'm thinking of cancelling my subscription, but
>> only
>> if a suitable alternative is available.
>>
>> Is there a Usenet provider, other than Google Groups, that provides
>> free
>> access to the above groups? If so, can you recommend one or more over
>> others, and why?
>>
>> If Google Groups is the only free Usenet provider, is there a way to
>> access
>> Google Groups from within my e-mail client (OE6) or at desktop (via a
>> news
>> feeder)? If not, am I left with having to access Google Groups at web
>> level?
>>
>> Further, if I do access GGs from within my client or at web level, are
>> munged e-mail addresses permitted?
>>
>> As always, any and all recommendations and comments are appreciated.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Martin
>>

> http://www.eternal-september.org/

and, for the Microsoft groups :
msnews.microsoft.com

Mike Easter

Martin wrote:

> The NGs that I regularly visit, and to which I post from time to time,
> are this one, alt.comp.freeware, and the Microsoft Office related
> groups.
>
> My Usenet provider is evidently Easynews.com.

It makes absolutely no sense for you to pay $10 a month to a news
provider whose fee structure is designed for some subset of binary group
users. I don't know why you would have made that choice.

You can divide usenet access into groups: free and nearly free text
providers, block binary (and text) providers, and monthly fee binary
providers. I wouldn't put googlegroups on the list except for search.

> In order to trim costs, I'm thinking of cancelling my subscription, but
> only if a suitable alternative is available.

Almost all text-only newsers should use free or nearly free, preferably
from more than one provider, which is well administered. That is, have a
free or nearly free account and have a back-up or alternative.

> Is there a Usenet provider, other than Google Groups, that provides

free
> access to the above groups? If so, can you recommend one or more over
> others, and why?

Googlegroups is a terrible way to read and post to usenet. GG should
only be used for usenet searches not for reading or posting usenet.
There are also googlespecific groups which one can only read and post to
via GG.

> If Google Groups is the only free Usenet provider, is there a way to
> access Google Groups from within my e-mail client (OE6)

No.

> or at desktop
> (via a news feeder)? If not, am I left with having to access Google
> Groups at web level?

Yes. And many other things wrong.

> Further, if I do access GGs from within my client or at web level, are
> munged e-mail addresses permitted?

In order to GG post, you must login with a registered account, which
registered account has to be a working email address. You cannot munge
that login address. It is distributed to all news servers unmunged. It
is only munged for GG users.

> As always, any and all recommendations and comments are appreciated.

There are a number of free news providers in addition to
eternal-september which has already been mentioned.

You also need to learn how to reply post to news messages. You reply
posted by top posting which shows no trimming or context. You need to
learn how to trim and context your reply.

http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/nquote.shtml # Q2: How should I use the
quoted text and arrange it with my own text? - # Q3: Why shouldn't I
quote the entire posting that I'm responding to?

--
Mike Easter

No Alternative

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 23:47:20 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:

I use a munged email address with them. You just have to send them a
valid email address when you sign up.

also try albasani.net. That is what I am currently using.

--
http://english-158465906205.spampoison.com
http://u-lite.org

Barry OGrady

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 01:18:27 -0400, "Martin"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Talk about fast!! TY!
>
>Only 4 minutes elapsed between my post and your reply!!
>
>According to Eternal September's Terms of Use (Sender Address
>The e-mail addresses given in "From:", "Reply-To:", and "Sender:" SHOULD be
>yours (i.e. you should be entitled to use it) and SHOULD be valid (= should
>not bounce because of invalidity). Using addresses and name space of other
>people without their consent is prohibited. For the From: address, however,
>the Top Level Domain (TLD) invalid may be used, as in
>(E-Mail Removed). See also RFC2606 and Usenet Best Practice.), it
>APPEARS that munged From: e-mail addresses are disallowed.
>
>That said, sometimes there is a difference between what the Terms state and
>what people actually do.
>
>With regard to Eternal September, will my munged addy,
>(E-Mail Removed), be allowed or will I be required to modify it
>to (E-Mail Removed)lid?
>
>Once again, thank you for your very prompt reply!
>
>Martin

You should try to avoid top posting.

>"OldGringo38" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:h3ovon$tn0$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>, In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My Two
>>Cents To The Martin Post:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> The NGs that I regularly visit, and to which I post from time to time,
>>> are
>>> this one, alt.comp.freeware, and the Microsoft Office related groups.
>>>
>>> My Usenet provider is evidently Easynews.com.
>>>
>>> In order to trim costs, I'm thinking of cancelling my subscription, but
>>> only
>>> if a suitable alternative is available.
>>>
>>> Is there a Usenet provider, other than Google Groups, that provides free
>>> access to the above groups? If so, can you recommend one or more over
>>> others, and why?
>>>
>>> If Google Groups is the only free Usenet provider, is there a way to
>>> access
>>> Google Groups from within my e-mail client (OE6) or at desktop (via a
>>> news
>>> feeder)? If not, am I left with having to access Google Groups at web
>>> level?
>>>
>>> Further, if I do access GGs from within my client or at web level, are
>>> munged e-mail addresses permitted?
>>>
>>> As always, any and all recommendations and comments are appreciated.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Martin
>>>

>> http://www.eternal-september.org/
>>
>> --
>> Old Gringo
>> Just West Of Nowhere
>> Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
>> http://www.NuBoy-Industries.com

Aardvark

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 10:12:20 +1000, Barry OGrady wrote:
>On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 01:18:27 -0400, "Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:

<SNIP>

>>With regard to Eternal September, will my munged addy,
>>(E-Mail Removed), be allowed or will I be required to modify
>>it to (E-Mail Removed)lid?
>>
>>Once again, thank you for your very prompt reply!
>>
>>Martin

> You should try to avoid top posting.

But instead, middle post without any snippage whatsoever of either
extraneous verbiage or previous posters' sig files.

I see.

<SNIP>

How to Have Only Unread Msgs Showing When 1st Accessing NGs Herb Firefox 3 02-04-2005 09:58 PM
Can I download Freeserve NGs on NTL connection? Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt Computer Support 15 07-06-2004 10:28 PM
OE Ngs. Qintin Computer Support 3 05-22-2004 10:36 PM
Other ngs Situation Toasted Computer Support 2 12-12-2003 11:56 AM
Help with NGs tom jackson Computer Support 2 11-19-2003 11:38 PM

Advertisments