Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > External Hard Drive

External Hard Drive

Maxje

I finally bought one of those back-up external hard drive and Lo and
Behold,my desktop hard drive stopped working. That external hard drive
saved me years of accumulated data. My questions are the following:

I have a 500 Gb external hard drive. Some of those files:tax softwares/4
years; medical test and records, are highly confidential.

Can I overwrite/wipe free space? (Erase program) those files without
damaging the external hard drive? and can I defragment/and is it necessary
to, such an external hard drive?

Thank you in advance to those knowledge holders who take the time to answer
our questions.

sandy58

On Jul 17, 4:14*am, "Maxje" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I finally bought one of those back-up external hard drive and Lo and
> Behold,my desktop hard drive stopped working. *That external hard drive
> saved me years of accumulated data. *My questions are the following:
>
> I have a 500 Gb external hard drive. *Some of those files:tax softwares/4
> years; medical test and records, are highly confidential.
>
> Can I overwrite/wipe free space? (Erase program) those files without
> damaging the external hard drive? and can I defragment/and is it necessary
> to, such an external hard drive?
>
> Thank you in advance to those knowledge holders who take the time to answer
> our questions.

You can do both safely.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Maxje" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can I overwrite/wipe free space? (Erase program) those files without
>damaging the external hard drive? and can I defragment/and is it necessary
>to, such an external hard drive?

Yes you can delete or zero out the files.

Defraging isn't necessary if while copying all the files you didn't
delete any on the external drive, while you were copying.

When copying a file it goes as a single file, say it's fragmented into
22 pieces on the HD, when you copy it all those pieces are copied as a
single file (no fragmentation).

--

Does Machu Picchu have a face?
http://www.travelzones.net/central-a...u-have-a-face/ or http://tinyurl.com/m69gg4

Singapore Computer Service

Hello,

You can overwrite and wipe free space using Eraser without any problems.

Be sure that you don't need the data back as recovering the data after
running Eraser will be much harder.
--
Regards,
Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
"Maxje" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h3oqdm$gr4$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>I finally bought one of those back-up external hard drive and Lo and
>Behold,my desktop hard drive stopped working. That external hard drive
>saved me years of accumulated data. My questions are the following:
>
> I have a 500 Gb external hard drive. Some of those files:tax softwares/4
> years; medical test and records, are highly confidential.
>
> Can I overwrite/wipe free space? (Erase program) those files without
> damaging the external hard drive? and can I defragment/and is it necessary
> to, such an external hard drive?
>
> Thank you in advance to those knowledge holders who take the time to
> answer our questions.

Jordon

Maxje wrote:
> I finally bought one of those back-up external hard drive and Lo and
> Behold,my desktop hard drive stopped working. That external hard drive
> saved me years of accumulated data.

But according to Chucktard, that's not possible. An external
hard drive will always fail before before an internal hard
drive. You must have done something wrong.

--
Jordon

Aardvark

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 19:00:41 +0800, Singapore Computer Service wrote:

> Hell

< http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/nquote.shtml >

FYI