Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Strobe Lights White Balance and Surrounding lights

Strobe Lights White Balance and Surrounding lights

stvlai

Hi

I just got a 2 sets of Strobe lights and the Boom Stand. Got a couple
question I hope someone can help answer

Q1) White Balance
I set the WB to the Gray Card shots that I took manually but the
photos comes out bluish. Normally I use Model lights and set the WB
per the Gray Card and it turns out fine. With strobes lights I am
having this bluish color problem.

Q2) Ceiling Lights turn off?
When I use Strobes lights, do I turn off all the surrounding lights
(e.g ceiling lights etc) and therefore leaving no lights except when
the Strobe lights flashes? Is this way to do it?

Any info would be very much appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

SLKW

Mr. Strat

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
stvlai <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Q2) Ceiling Lights turn off?
> When I use Strobes lights, do I turn off all the surrounding lights
> (e.g ceiling lights etc) and therefore leaving no lights except when
> the Strobe lights flashes? Is this way to do it?

I used to leave room lights on when doing a family portrait, for
example, and let the incandescents glow their normal orange/yellow.

stvlai

Thank you so much for the valuable info! Really appreciate your tips.

SLKW

Fotoguy

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 16:38:56 -0700, stvlai wrote:

> I just got a 2 sets of Strobe lights and the Boom Stand. Got a couple
> question I hope someone can help answer
>
> Q1) White Balance
> I set the WB to the Gray Card shots that I took manually but the photos
> comes out bluish. Normally I use Model lights and set the WB per the
> Gray Card and it turns out fine. With strobes lights I am having this
> bluish color problem.

It sounds like when you're doing the gray card WB the camera is trying to
white balance ALL the lights, not just the flash. So, forget the gray
card. Just use the camera's "Flash" or "Daylight" WB preset. That
should be good enough. And take your camera off "Auto". Set f-stop and
shutter speed manually.

Also, how are you triggering the flashes?

What camera are you using?

What flashes?

> Q2) Ceiling Lights turn off?
> When I use Strobes lights, do I turn off all the surrounding lights (e.g
> ceiling lights etc) and therefore leaving no lights except when the
> Strobe lights flashes? Is this way to do it?

You can. Or if they are part of the composition, you can leave them on.
It's entirely up to you and what type of effect you're looking for.

Flash exposure is controlled with f-stops. With flash, since it's
"instantaneous," shutter speeds have little affect on its exposure, but a
lot on continuous light sources. So, if you set your shutter speed
manually, you can control the amount of ambient light in your shots from
a lot to none at all. But don't set the shutter speed higher than the
flash sync speed. You can set it slower, just not faster.

--
Fotoguy
Contributing Expert

sligoNoSPAMjoe@hotmail.com

>"stvlai" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>>
>> I just got a 2 sets of Strobe lights and the Boom Stand. Got a couple
>> question I hope someone can help answer
>>
>> Q1) White Balance
>> I set the WB to the Gray Card shots that I took manually but the
>> photos comes out bluish.

>> Normally I use Model lights and set the WB
>> per the Gray Card and it turns out fine. With strobes lights I am
>> having this bluish color problem.

Unless you are using the modeling lights as a light source or
if they are very close matches to the strobes you are using, I would
not expect good results.

The other problem would be ambient light. They are going to
have different influnces depending on a number of factors so your WB
may be off.

In the real world, if you are constantly getting the results
you want with the technique you are using, then keep it up. If not
try a few other ideas. Remember photography is both and art and a
science. Of the two ART is the more important in my book.

John McWilliams

rwalker wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:16:04 -0500, Pearls Before Swine <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 16:33:38 +0100, "Chance" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

> Well, Swine, you certainly do cast some "pearls."

I see far more casting (as with a salt water spinning reel) than pearls!
And, it's Mister Swine to you!

--
John McWilliams

SMS

Chance wrote:

> Don't forget you can also use ND filters/gels over the lens as well to
> bring shutter speed down to X-sync.

Ironically, if you use a Canon P&S, and load chdk onto it, you can have
Flash-Sync speeds of 1/10,000 of second, sometimes more. This is the
only technical advantage of a P&S digital camera.

Some of the newer D-SLRs also have an electronic shutter and are not
limited by the mechanical focal plane shutter and can go up to 1/500
sec, the same as a good P&S without chdk.

Bob Larter

rwalker wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:16:04 -0500, Pearls Before Swine <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 16:33:38 +0100, "Chance" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

> Well, Swine, you certainly do cast some "pearls."

Brown, stinky ones.

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Swine Before Pearls <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Or just use any of the high quality P&S cameras that rival or beat most
> DSLRs in image quality.

.... you just have to define image quality as "everything's in
focus" and some more jokes of that kind, which are perfect
for portraits, for example.

Of course, connecting the studio flashes to the P&S is gonna
be interesting ... ever seen a P&S with a PC connector, when
most miss a basic hot shoe?

> They don't suffer from X-Sync limitations.

Even assuming that was true it's about never a problem in the
studio ...

> The CHDK compatible cameras having full-frame flash sync up to
> shutter-speeds of 1/40,000 second.

And an AF taking ages.

> That's shutter-speed, not flash-duration. Flash-duration
> runs from 1/10,000 to 1/64,000 (up to 1/224,000 on some of them).

So what good is 1/40,000s shutter with 1/10,000s flash? Yep,
logic strikes again. Now, about the flash power at your fabulous
speeds, is that even one milliwattsecond? Will it visibly light
up a bright white paper 10 cm from the lens?

> What good is having camera that has slightly cleaner high-ISOs if your
> moving subjects are going to get ambient-light blurring from your
> crippling-slow focal-plane shutter speeds.

Yes, if you glue the shutter open, you might have problems.
Fortunately, normal people don't act like you.

> Some of you people can't seem to think things through far enough.

What was the reason for using studio flash units, again? To
look cool or to have them stand in the way when you use that
P&S of yours?

[Snipped a lot of crap coming from a swine's mind. Let's
adjust that for reality:]

Betty: "Gee, little Billy boy looks so *zombie* with his gleaming
paperwhite skin and his red red eyes! And his face looks so
flat, too. And such great strong film grain, even in colour,
just as if a demon had mixed up the image! The teacher
always says he's possessed by the devil, but how did you
manage to get him look so terrible on paper? All the other
photographers can only show a little pretty angel, and never
go all the way to show shots looking like real oil paintings
by mad apes! And how he looks so ghost-translucent in parts!
What's your secret?"

Photographer: "Wellll, I bought a crappy P&S camera instead
of my proper camera bodies and lenses, because some usenet
troll without a real name said they were oh so much better.
I spend many thousands on real gear, but that P&S won't even
interface with my studio flashes. So I use it's inbuild flash
for ultra short flashes, but have to expose very long to get
at least some light onto the sensor.

Now, the flash makes the eyes red and the skin zombie-ugly,
and the long exposure makes your boy look translucent when
he moves. Because of the little light I can use --- remember,
my expensive studio flashes won't work --- I must use high
ISO and brighten the image a lot --- that causes the demon
ape colours all over, and the noise control software makes
it all look detailless like an oil painting.

Luckily that camera has a tripod hole, or it would look
completely unsharp as well."

Betty: "Marry me! I want your baby! Now!"
[We close the curtains over the little scene where the Betty's eyes
start glowing red, she turns half translucent and the photographer
gets possessed as well.]

> (They're so funny!)

You're so out of your depth, it's funny.

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

The Pretend Photographer P&S-Troll wrote:

> There are hundreds of technical advantages to high quality
> P&S cameras,

.... if you count each wasted dollar on them as one (at least
for the manufacturer) ...

> This TROLL is so out of touch with reality it's not only funny, its
> hysterical. He knows as much about cameras and photography as he does about
> anything else--only what he invents in his pea-brain.

I have nothing to add to that piece of self-observation.

-Wolfgang