Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Outlook 07 not doing it; what's a good database email solution?

Outlook 07 not doing it; what's a good database email solution?

Boppy

On Jul 18, 11:48*am, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Boppy wrote:
> > Thanks everyone for your replies.
> > I've had a look at MailChimp and am also waiting for Smartmail to
> > reply to me so I can compare pricing. But I agree with Dave - 800
> > messages would be trivial.

> http://www.mobilizemail.com/are also worth a look.

Thanks - have requested a quote from them.

thingy

On Jul 17, 10:47*am, Boppy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi guys, I send regular updates to around 800 names. Despite splitting
> my excel spreadsheet into smaller chunks, Outlook still freezes every
> time I do an email merge from Word 07.
>
> I'm using html and there are some images but the message is never any
> larger than 50k. Word just freezes during the send, and then when I
> look in the Outlook outbox, the messages are sitting there chugging
> away.
>
> I'm on a hosted Exchange server but their helpdesk says the problem is
> most likely with Outlook. They say their server can cope with mass
> mails of 2 gigs. (so why does each message sit so long in my outbox
> then?)
>
> I've tried to do the same merge on three different computers and have
> the same issues whether it's an Xtra mail server or Outlook 03 or 07.
>
> There's plenty of posts on help sites on the www but no one seems to
> have found a solution.
>
> So rather than tear my hair out every week, I'm looking for
> suggestions for more efficient ways to get mail out. My requirements:
>
> - Need to include html links and images
> - Need to personalise each message
>
> I've spent a bit of time using the open source CRM Sugar but as it's
> integrated with Outlook, I can't see how it would be an improvement.
>
> I have some names that occur on several different mailing lists, so
> still need to merge and delete duplicate names each week.
>
> Can anyone suggest a reliable hosted mail sending option?
>
> Thanks in advance for advice,
> Jo

Mailman can handle 10,000 user lists and it can be hosted, however you
want to change the user list(s) frequently, so that's an issue....but
one way is to have a cascading group of lists...if you are posting to
groups of ppl and those groups change as opposed to individuals....eg
you have master lists A, B, C and D.

A contains sub lists S,T,U,V
B contains sub lists S, T and V
C contains sub lists P, Q and R
D contains A and C

Gordon has suggested a modern way to send "letters" just send the
link...its what we do as the email shots we have are over 5000 users
and 4~8 meg, even on grunty kit it took 30mins to pump it out...we
even have 8000+ lists on mailman...but 50k is peanuts.

A good search engine for possible tools to meet your needs is
http://freshmeat.net. From what you are trying to do SugarCRM or
another CRM sound better solutions....SugarCRM can be remotely hosted,
pretty sure some ppl in NZ do it, for a charge or course, but its
free...there is even a demo/trial site you can log into to give it a
look at.

http://www.sugarcrm.com/crm/ondemand_eval.html

(so why does each message sit so long in my outbox then?)

Its possible their Exchange server has anti-virus programs on board,
these could and can slow down exchange significantly...

Is Outlook sending each mail individually? rather than batching them?
modern smtp can take 1 email to 50 or even 1000 ppl and say here is
the one email duplicate it to these 50....

Run perfmon/taskmanager on your desktop and monitor while you send
out....see if its cpu or memory or disk is maxing out, that would
point to Outlook...if its not....

regards

thing