Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Outlook 07 not doing it; what's a good database email solution?

Outlook 07 not doing it; what's a good database email solution?

Boppy

Hi guys, I send regular updates to around 800 names. Despite splitting
my excel spreadsheet into smaller chunks, Outlook still freezes every
time I do an email merge from Word 07.

I'm using html and there are some images but the message is never any
larger than 50k. Word just freezes during the send, and then when I
look in the Outlook outbox, the messages are sitting there chugging
away.

I'm on a hosted Exchange server but their helpdesk says the problem is
most likely with Outlook. They say their server can cope with mass
mails of 2 gigs. (so why does each message sit so long in my outbox
then?)

I've tried to do the same merge on three different computers and have
the same issues whether it's an Xtra mail server or Outlook 03 or 07.

There's plenty of posts on help sites on the www but no one seems to
have found a solution.

So rather than tear my hair out every week, I'm looking for
suggestions for more efficient ways to get mail out. My requirements:

- Need to include html links and images
- Need to personalise each message

I've spent a bit of time using the open source CRM Sugar but as it's
integrated with Outlook, I can't see how it would be an improvement.

I have some names that occur on several different mailing lists, so
still need to merge and delete duplicate names each week.

Can anyone suggest a reliable hosted mail sending option?

Thanks in advance for advice,
Jo

Nik Coughlin

"Boppy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone suggest a reliable hosted mail sending option?

mailchimp.com

impossible

"Boppy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi guys, I send regular updates to around 800 names. Despite splitting
> my excel spreadsheet into smaller chunks, Outlook still freezes every
> time I do an email merge from Word 07.
>
> I'm using html and there are some images but the message is never any
> larger than 50k. Word just freezes during the send, and then when I
> look in the Outlook outbox, the messages are sitting there chugging
> away.
>
> I'm on a hosted Exchange server but their helpdesk says the problem is
> most likely with Outlook. They say their server can cope with mass
> mails of 2 gigs. (so why does each message sit so long in my outbox
> then?)
>
> I've tried to do the same merge on three different computers and have
> the same issues whether it's an Xtra mail server or Outlook 03 or 07.
>
> There's plenty of posts on help sites on the www but no one seems to
> have found a solution.
>
> So rather than tear my hair out every week, I'm looking for
> suggestions for more efficient ways to get mail out. My requirements:
>
> - Need to include html links and images
> - Need to personalise each message
>
> I've spent a bit of time using the open source CRM Sugar but as it's
> integrated with Outlook, I can't see how it would be an improvement.
>
> I have some names that occur on several different mailing lists, so
> still need to merge and delete duplicate names each week.
>
> Can anyone suggest a reliable hosted mail sending option?
>
> Thanks in advance for advice,

(1) If you're using an av program that scans your ougoing mail, that could
be an issue.

(2) Check the size of your mailbox -- if you're saving copies of every email
you send, then 800*50K could loadyou up pretty fast, and that could
noticeably slow things down.

(3) All Windows and Office updates installed?

Dave Doe

In article <1c6f05a5-42a3-44ae-b56f-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Hi guys, I send regular updates to around 800 names. Despite splitting
> my excel spreadsheet into smaller chunks, Outlook still freezes every
> time I do an email merge from Word 07.
>
> I'm using html and there are some images but the message is never any
> larger than 50k. Word just freezes during the send, and then when I
> look in the Outlook outbox, the messages are sitting there chugging
> away.
>
> I'm on a hosted Exchange server but their helpdesk says the problem is
> most likely with Outlook. They say their server can cope with mass
> mails of 2 gigs. (so why does each message sit so long in my outbox
> then?)
>
> I've tried to do the same merge on three different computers and have
> the same issues whether it's an Xtra mail server or Outlook 03 or 07.
>
> There's plenty of posts on help sites on the www but no one seems to
> have found a solution.
>
> So rather than tear my hair out every week, I'm looking for
> suggestions for more efficient ways to get mail out. My requirements:
>
> - Need to include html links and images
> - Need to personalise each message
>
> I've spent a bit of time using the open source CRM Sugar but as it's
> integrated with Outlook, I can't see how it would be an improvement.
>
> I have some names that occur on several different mailing lists, so
> still need to merge and delete duplicate names each week.
>
> Can anyone suggest a reliable hosted mail sending option?
>
> Thanks in advance for advice,

I agree with 'impossible' - remove all/any AV integration with Outlook -
you don't need it (the realtime scanning component of your AV will get
any virus anyway).

However, I suppose you've been there, done that

What AV do you use, BTW?

Mail-merges like you are doing should be quite trivial, even if to
thousands.

And what's the deal with the "hosted Exchange" - what sort of connection
do you have to Exchange Server?

--
Duncan

Dave Doe

In article <1c6f05a5-42a3-44ae-b56f-
(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Hi guys, I send regular updates to around 800 names. Despite splitting
> my excel spreadsheet into smaller chunks, Outlook still freezes every
> time I do an email merge from Word 07.
>
> I'm using html and there are some images but the message is never any
> larger than 50k. Word just freezes during the send, and then when I
> look in the Outlook outbox, the messages are sitting there chugging
> away.
>
> I'm on a hosted Exchange server but their helpdesk says the problem is
> most likely with Outlook. They say their server can cope with mass
> mails of 2 gigs. (so why does each message sit so long in my outbox
> then?)
>
> I've tried to do the same merge on three different computers and have
> the same issues whether it's an Xtra mail server or Outlook 03 or 07.
>
> There's plenty of posts on help sites on the www but no one seems to
> have found a solution.
>
> So rather than tear my hair out every week, I'm looking for
> suggestions for more efficient ways to get mail out. My requirements:
>
> - Need to include html links and images
> - Need to personalise each message
>
> I've spent a bit of time using the open source CRM Sugar but as it's
> integrated with Outlook, I can't see how it would be an improvement.
>
> I have some names that occur on several different mailing lists, so
> still need to merge and delete duplicate names each week.
>
> Can anyone suggest a reliable hosted mail sending option?
>
> Thanks in advance for advice,

Another thing - do you have any error message(s)? - they kinda help -
Anything in the Event Logs?

--
Duncan

Gordon

On 2009-07-16, Boppy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi guys, I send regular updates to around 800 names. Despite splitting
> my excel spreadsheet into smaller chunks, Outlook still freezes every
> time I do an email merge from Word 07.

Send them a URL where it is stored.

Hint cloud computing is here, well above the horizion.

Boppy

On Jul 17, 10:47*am, Boppy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi guys, I send regular updates to around 800 names. Despite splitting
> my excel spreadsheet into smaller chunks, Outlook still freezes every
> time I do an email merge from Word 07.
>
> I'm using html and there are some images but the message is never any
> larger than 50k. Word just freezes during the send, and then when I
> look in the Outlook outbox, the messages are sitting there chugging
> away.
>
> I'm on a hosted Exchange server but their helpdesk says the problem is
> most likely with Outlook. They say their server can cope with mass
> mails of 2 gigs. (so why does each message sit so long in my outbox
> then?)
>
> I've tried to do the same merge on three different computers and have
> the same issues whether it's an Xtra mail server or Outlook 03 or 07.
>
> There's plenty of posts on help sites on the www but no one seems to
> have found a solution.
>
> So rather than tear my hair out every week, I'm looking for
> suggestions for more efficient ways to get mail out. My requirements:
>
> - Need to include html links and images
> - Need to personalise each message
>
> I've spent a bit of time using the open source CRM Sugar but as it's
> integrated with Outlook, I can't see how it would be an improvement.
>
> I have some names that occur on several different mailing lists, so
> still need to merge and delete duplicate names each week.
>
> Can anyone suggest a reliable hosted mail sending option?
>
> Thanks in advance for advice,
> Jo

Thanks everyone for your replies.
I've had a look at MailChimp and am also waiting for Smartmail to
reply to me so I can compare pricing. But I agree with Dave - 800
messages would be trivial.

My hard drive was reformated last week and the tech installed ESET.
I'd previously had AVG which he took off. I liked AVG because it
scanned for malaware at the same time as viruses so I only had to
right click once on a file to check it (that's the bought version).
Anyway, yes it was set to scan outgoing mail, as was ESET, which I
have now disabled - thanks for the tip, impossible. Yes, Vista SP2 is
installed, no to Windows updates.

Duncan, am connecting to Domainz hosted exchange via wireless
broadband lan with the http box ticked. No error messages on my
machine but did get an error last week on a colleague's machine which
I told the help desk but which didn't resolve the issue.

Gordon, I do have links in the email to direct people to key info, but
the actual message still needs to go out - I can't count on people
clicking on a link. There's a local company that sends out weekly
newsletters in attached PDF format. As if anyone ever bothers to open
and read them.

Cheers
Jo

EMB

Boppy wrote:
> Thanks everyone for your replies.
> I've had a look at MailChimp and am also waiting for Smartmail to
> reply to me so I can compare pricing. But I agree with Dave - 800
> messages would be trivial.

http://www.mobilizemail.com/ are also worth a look.

Dave Doe

In article <48758955-b4bc-4c64-914b-7cf66cbf8673
@b25g2000prb.googlegroups.com>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Jul 17, 10:47*am, Boppy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hi guys, I send regular updates to around 800 names. Despite splitting
> > my excel spreadsheet into smaller chunks, Outlook still freezes every
> > time I do an email merge from Word 07.
> >
> > I'm using html and there are some images but the message is never any
> > larger than 50k. Word just freezes during the send, and then when I
> > look in the Outlook outbox, the messages are sitting there chugging
> > away.
> >
> > I'm on a hosted Exchange server but their helpdesk says the problem is
> > most likely with Outlook. They say their server can cope with mass
> > mails of 2 gigs. (so why does each message sit so long in my outbox
> > then?)
> >
> > I've tried to do the same merge on three different computers and have
> > the same issues whether it's an Xtra mail server or Outlook 03 or 07.
> >
> > There's plenty of posts on help sites on the www but no one seems to
> > have found a solution.
> >
> > So rather than tear my hair out every week, I'm looking for
> > suggestions for more efficient ways to get mail out. My requirements:
> >
> > - Need to include html links and images
> > - Need to personalise each message
> >
> > I've spent a bit of time using the open source CRM Sugar but as it's
> > integrated with Outlook, I can't see how it would be an improvement.
> >
> > I have some names that occur on several different mailing lists, so
> > still need to merge and delete duplicate names each week.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest a reliable hosted mail sending option?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for advice,
> > Jo

> Thanks everyone for your replies.
> I've had a look at MailChimp and am also waiting for Smartmail to
> reply to me so I can compare pricing. But I agree with Dave - 800
> messages would be trivial.
>
> My hard drive was reformated last week and the tech installed ESET.
> I'd previously had AVG which he took off. I liked AVG because it
> scanned for malaware at the same time as viruses so I only had to
> right click once on a file to check it (that's the bought version).
> Anyway, yes it was set to scan outgoing mail, as was ESET, which I
> have now disabled - thanks for the tip, impossible. Yes, Vista SP2 is
> installed, no to Windows updates.
>
> Duncan, am connecting to Domainz hosted exchange via wireless
> broadband lan with the http box ticked. No error messages on my
> machine but did get an error last week on a colleague's machine which
> I told the help desk but which didn't resolve the issue.
>
> Gordon, I do have links in the email to direct people to key info, but
> the actual message still needs to go out - I can't count on people
> clicking on a link. There's a local company that sends out weekly
> newsletters in attached PDF format. As if anyone ever bothers to open
> and read them.

So how is it going now? (w' eSet not scanning outbound mail (I'd turn
off inbound scanning too, BTW, as eSet's realtime scanning component
will still stop virul email from executing).

If you still have the problem, and you have the eSet CD and serial
number, I'd remove ESet (uninstall it), and re-test.

If you still have the problem then, I'd post to a more expert group,
like: microsoft.public.outlook and microsoft.public.outlook.general
(newsserver: news.microsoft.com).

--
Duncan

Boppy

On Jul 18, 12:10*pm, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> > I told the help desk but which didn't resolve the issue.

> > Gordon, I do have links in the email to direct people to key info, but
> > the actual message still needs to go out - I can't count on people
> > clicking on a link. There's a local company that sends out weekly
> > newsletters in attached PDF format. As if anyone ever bothers to open
> > and read them.

> So how is it going now? (w' eSet not scanning outbound mail (I'd turn
> off inbound scanning too, BTW, as eSet's realtime scanning component
> will still stop virul email from executing).
>
> If you still have the problem, and you have the eSet CD and serial
> number, I'd remove ESet (uninstall it), and re-test.
>
> If you still have the problem then, I'd post to a more expert group,
> like: microsoft.public.outlook and microsoft.public.outlook.general

Thanks Duncan, I don't have another mailout to do till next week -
can't bombard the database too often. Will report back if I still have
probs then.
Cheers,
Jo