Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > Exam Retired So Does MCP Status

Exam Retired So Does MCP Status

Stewart Berman

I received MCP status based on an exam which has since been retired. It appears that my MCP status
retired with it. (i.e. I cannot access the MCP web site)

When I took the exam there wasn't anything about retiring exams much less losing MCP status because
an exam was retired.

Is this correct -- that you lose MCP status when the exam it was based on is retired?

John R

"Stewart Berman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I received MCP status based on an exam which has since been retired. It
>appears that my MCP status
> retired with it. (i.e. I cannot access the MCP web site)
>
> When I took the exam there wasn't anything about retiring exams much less
> losing MCP status because
> an exam was retired.
>
> Is this correct -- that you lose MCP status when the exam it was based on
> is retired?

I don't believe that is entirely correct for all exams, however it may be
true for some of the very old NT 4.0 exams, and it may be based on when you
actually took the exam. Which exam was it and when did you pass it?

You could always contact your RSC and discuss it with them. They
"supposedly" are the experts. Have your "existing" MCP ID and any test
information on hand when you call...
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...d-support.aspx

John R

Stewart Berman

>I don't believe that is entirely correct for all exams, however it may be
>true for some of the very old NT 4.0 exams, and it may be based on when you
>actually took the exam. Which exam was it and when did you pass it?

It was in the begriming of time -- or at least the begriming of the exams and MCPs. Actually, I
think I still have MCP status -- that is the right to say I am an MCP in a particular area -- I just
don't have access to the MCP web site. I don't recall if I ever had access so I'm not sure what I
am missing if anything.

What I am looking for is a link to a statement from Microsoft as to the expiration of an MCP
designation. The exam may be retired and the software no longer has Mainstream Support but it is
still in use at a huge number of Microsoft's commercial customers.

"John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote:

>"Stewart Berman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I received MCP status based on an exam which has since been retired. It
>>appears that my MCP status
>> retired with it. (i.e. I cannot access the MCP web site)
>>
>> When I took the exam there wasn't anything about retiring exams much less
>> losing MCP status because
>> an exam was retired.
>>
>> Is this correct -- that you lose MCP status when the exam it was based on
>> is retired?

>I don't believe that is entirely correct for all exams, however it may be
>true for some of the very old NT 4.0 exams, and it may be based on when you
>actually took the exam. Which exam was it and when did you pass it?
>
>You could always contact your RSC and discuss it with them. They
>"supposedly" are the experts. Have your "existing" MCP ID and any test
>information on hand when you call...
>http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...d-support.aspx
>
>John R

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

"Stewart Berman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I don't believe that is entirely correct for all exams, however it may be
>>true for some of the very old NT 4.0 exams, and it may be based on when
>>you
>>actually took the exam. Which exam was it and when did you pass it?

> It was in the begriming of time -- or at least the begriming of the exams
> and
> MCPs. Actually, I think I still have MCP status -- that is the right to
> say I am
> an MCP in a particular area

Jumping in a bit late, and for what it's worth... I have certs in Windows 95
and NT4 TCP/IP. They're still on my transcript, and while I do have newer
exams/certs under the older "MCP" program -- those two exams do still
qualify me as an "MCP".

> I just don't have access to the MCP web site.

This is definitely an issue for your Regional Service Center
or an email to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

> I don't recall if I ever had access so I'm not sure what I
> am missing if anything.

Well, getting access under the old system basically required your MCP ID,
which came in the mail after you completed your first exam, and online
registration with that MCP ID.

As far as I know, that's still all that's required, so perhaps your first
stop should be the MCP website to see if you can register with your MCP ID.

https://mcp.microsoft.com/mcp/default.aspx

> What I am looking for is a link to a statement from Microsoft as to the
> expiration
> of an MCP designation.

That would be on the publicly available Microsoft Learning site, under the
section covering certification policies. In essence what it says is that
=MCP= exams don't expire (that's exams under the old system).

http://www.microsoft.com/learning

There's an entirely new set of policies for the new MCTS/MCPD/MCITP exams
and certs.

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

Stewart Berman

>This is definitely an issue for your Regional Service Center
>or an email to (E-Mail Removed)

Their response was:
"Our records indicate that all your exams have retired. So, you would be unable to access the MCP
Member Site."

>As far as I know, that's still all that's required, so perhaps your first
>stop should be the MCP website to see if you can register with your MCP ID.

Tried that --- couldn't get in.

>That would be on the publicly available Microsoft Learning site, under the

It is actually on the Discontinued Exams tab at:
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...-dev.aspx#tab4
Which says:
"Note Certifications you have earned remain valid even if qualifying exams have been retired. When
an exam you passed is retired, your transcript retains the record of the exam and identifies the
exam as retired."

It appears my certification remains valid but that does not provide access to the MCP web site. So
just being an MCP is not sufficient to access the MCP web site. You have to have an MCP based on
currently active exams -- not retired ones. That will be a pleasant surprise to those people that
managed to complete a certification track right before it was retired.

"Lawrence Garvin [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Stewart Berman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> >I don't believe that is entirely correct for all exams, however it may be
>>>true for some of the very old NT 4.0 exams, and it may be based on when
>>>you
>>>actually took the exam. Which exam was it and when did you pass it?

>> It was in the begriming of time -- or at least the begriming of the exams
>> and
>> MCPs. Actually, I think I still have MCP status -- that is the right to
>> say I am
>> an MCP in a particular area

>Jumping in a bit late, and for what it's worth... I have certs in Windows 95
>and NT4 TCP/IP. They're still on my transcript, and while I do have newer
>exams/certs under the older "MCP" program -- those two exams do still
>qualify me as an "MCP".
>
>> I just don't have access to the MCP web site.

>This is definitely an issue for your Regional Service Center
>or an email to (E-Mail Removed)
>
>> I don't recall if I ever had access so I'm not sure what I
>> am missing if anything.

>Well, getting access under the old system basically required your MCP ID,
>which came in the mail after you completed your first exam, and online
>registration with that MCP ID.
>
>As far as I know, that's still all that's required, so perhaps your first
>stop should be the MCP website to see if you can register with your MCP ID.
>
>https://mcp.microsoft.com/mcp/default.aspx
>
>> What I am looking for is a link to a statement from Microsoft as to the
>> expiration
>> of an MCP designation.

>That would be on the publicly available Microsoft Learning site, under the
>section covering certification policies. In essence what it says is that
>=MCP= exams don't expire (that's exams under the old system).
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/learning
>
>There's an entirely new set of policies for the new MCTS/MCPD/MCITP exams
>and certs.

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

"Stewart Berman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >This is definitely an issue for your Regional Service Center
>>or an email to (E-Mail Removed)

> Their response was:
> "Our records indicate that all your exams have retired. So, you
> would be unable to access the MCP Member Site."

Well that's certainly a crock.

So, yes, sometimes the RSC isn't the best place to get information.

I'd suggest the next stop is direct to the Microsoft Learning staff in
Redmond, or perhaps via (E-Mail Removed). Also, be sure to include your
experience with your RSC. Maybe they can arrange for some enlightenment
exercises for the RSC staff.

> It appears my certification remains valid but that does not provide

< access to the MCP web site.
> So just being an MCP is not sufficient to access the MCP web site.
> You have to have an MCP based on currently active exams --
> not retired ones. That will be a pleasant surprise to those people that
> managed to complete a certification track right before it was retired.

Well, while the RSC is the place to go to get *assistance* with these
issues, the RSC is *NOT* the authoritative source for the information
they're claiming is true.

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

hannanloveus hannanloveus is offline
Junior Member

NO worry .Although the exams has retired .the mainstream supports don't expire.And you can upgrade yourself by passing other exams .

Retired Exam? HC - Paul MCDST 3 09-11-2009 01:09 PM
What exactly is the impact of a retired exam? PedroAsani MCITP 8 03-08-2008 06:01 PM
Implementing Security Exam will be retired? Andrei Csibi MCAD 1 11-12-2005 04:54 PM
70-291 Exam Retired?? Cihan Baykal MCSE 5 04-01-2005 01:52 AM
Retired Exam Nasser Microsoft Certification 2 12-16-2004 11:55 AM

Advertisments