Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Ann: Google releases Python-based open-source NX server

Reply
Thread Tools

Ann: Google releases Python-based open-source NX server

 
 
jkn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-15-2009
Google quietly releases open-source NX server ...written in Python,
apparently

<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9135504/
Google_quietly_releases_open_source_NX_server?taxo nomyId=88>

Neatx can be downloaded from Google's code repository:

<http://code.google.com/p/neatx/>

Regards
J^n

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
J Kenneth King
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2009
jkn <(E-Mail Removed)9.co.uk> writes:

> Google quietly releases open-source NX server ...written in Python,
> apparently
>
> <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9135504/
> Google_quietly_releases_open_source_NX_server?taxo nomyId=88>
>
> Neatx can be downloaded from Google's code repository:
>
> <http://code.google.com/p/neatx/>
>
> Regards
> J^n


It's pretty cool, but not PEP8! Probably because they just bought the
source off of another smaller proprietary project. Makes me sad seeing
Google, proud supporter of all things Python, release non-PEP8 code.

Either way, I did check out the project and it looks pretty exciting.
Hopefully I'll get some time to contribute a few patches.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
jkn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2009
On Jul 16, 3:51*pm, J Kenneth King <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It's pretty cool, but not PEP8! Probably because they just bought the
> source off of another smaller proprietary project. *Makes me sad seeing
> Google, proud supporter of all things Python, release non-PEP8 code.


Personally, I don't follow PEP8 either. Note: PEP-8 gives 'coding
conventions for the Python code **comprising the standard library in
the main Python distribution**' (my emphasis). My coding conventions
are similar to, but not exactly the same as, PEP-8. It would be
ridiculous IMO (and PEP-8 acknowledges this) for such a permissive
language as Python to put a 'coding style' straitjacket around itself.

YMMV, of course.

J^n

 
Reply With Quote
 
Emile van Sebille
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2009
On 7/16/2009 10:59 AM jkn said...
> Personally, I don't follow PEP8 either. Note: PEP-8 gives 'coding
> conventions for the Python code **comprising the standard library in
> the main Python distribution**' (my emphasis). My coding conventions
> are similar to, but not exactly the same as, PEP-8.


Mine too, and my objection to PEP-8 is that the coding style doesn't
allow for copy-n-paste into the interpreter, and I like to be able to
test that way. Perhaps if I configured my editor not to strip trailing
whitespace from lines it would work, but then I don't like trailing
whitespace.

Of course, I _like_ leading whitespace.

Emile

 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Kern
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2009
On 2009-07-16 09:51, J Kenneth King wrote:
> jkn<(E-Mail Removed)9.co.uk> writes:
>
>> Google quietly releases open-source NX server ...written in Python,
>> apparently
>>
>> <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9135504/
>> Google_quietly_releases_open_source_NX_server?taxo nomyId=88>
>>
>> Neatx can be downloaded from Google's code repository:
>>
>> <http://code.google.com/p/neatx/>
>>
>> Regards
>> J^n

>
> It's pretty cool, but not PEP8! Probably because they just bought the
> source off of another smaller proprietary project.


No, it' just that Google does not use PEP8 for its internal style standard.

--
Robert Kern

"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma
that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had
an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

 
Reply With Quote
 
J Kenneth King
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2009
Robert Kern <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On 2009-07-16 09:51, J Kenneth King wrote:
>> jkn<(E-Mail Removed)9.co.uk> writes:
>>
>>> Google quietly releases open-source NX server ...written in Python,
>>> apparently
>>>
>>> <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9135504/
>>> Google_quietly_releases_open_source_NX_server?taxo nomyId=88>
>>>
>>> Neatx can be downloaded from Google's code repository:
>>>
>>> <http://code.google.com/p/neatx/>
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> J^n

>>
>> It's pretty cool, but not PEP8! Probably because they just bought the
>> source off of another smaller proprietary project.

>
> No, it' just that Google does not use PEP8 for its internal style standard.


Yeah probably.

I'm just a little OCD sometimes.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google Releases iPhone Countermeasures Bucky Breeder Computer Support 1 01-07-2010 08:54 PM
Looking for superior Canadian DVD releases vs. U.S. releases Calidore DVD Video 1 10-25-2004 11:36 AM
Press Releases on Google Lil Doctor Computer Support 1 10-24-2004 11:14 PM
New Releases: Re-releases Saving Pvt Ryan D-Day anniversary: Updated complete downladable R1 DVD DB & info lists Doug MacLean DVD Video 0 02-28-2004 05:17 AM
New Releases: Next week's releases, status changes: Updated complete downloadable R1 DVD DB & info lists Doug MacLean DVD Video 0 12-30-2003 05:37 AM



Advertisments