Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > App converted from 1.1 to 3.5 runs at about quarter of the speed

App converted from 1.1 to 3.5 runs at about quarter of the speed

Phil Johnson

Hi,

We have a web app that was written in .net 1.1

We recently converted the app to run in .net 3.5 and put it live.

The application is running on 3 Server cluster and the servers are pretty
heavy duty.

Does anybody have any ideas as to why the application is so much slower now
on 3.5 than it was on 1.1?

--
Regards,

Phil Johnson

Phil Johnson

Hi Mark,

We just used the VS2008 conversion wizard.

There were a couple of issues to resolve and we had to upgrade a couple of
Telerik controls we use but generally the code hasn't really changed too much
other than the fact it's in partial classes now.

Thanks,

Phil

"Mark Rae [MVP]" wrote:

> "Phil Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > We have a web app that was written in .net 1.1
> > We recently converted the app to run in .net 3.5 and put it live.
> >
> > Does anybody have any ideas as to why the application is so much slower
> > now
> > on 3.5 than it was on 1.1?

> How did you convert it...?
>

> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVP
> http://www.markrae.net

Gregory A. Beamer

=?Utf-8?B?UGhpbCBKb2huc29u?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi,
>
> We have a web app that was written in .net 1.1
>
> We recently converted the app to run in .net 3.5 and put it live.
>
> The application is running on 3 Server cluster and the servers are
> pretty heavy duty.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas as to why the application is so much
> slower now on 3.5 than it was on 1.1?

No clue, but I would guess you are using some deprecated features or the
code is not properly architected .NET code.

If deprecated, you can search the docs, find the code and use more
"modern" techniques.

If improper architecture, you will have to cull through the code and fix
the architecture through refactoring.

The best bet is to add tracing and find the routines that are causing
the slow down.

One other thing that could affect things is the configuration of the
server. This can be site config or machine config. This is a harder
route to go down, so I would trace the code first and find the
bottlenecks.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Twitter: @gbworld

| Think outside the box! |

Phil Johnson

Thanks for the responses Mark and Gregory,

I've started to trace the app and one thing I notice that I couldn't see in
the traces for the .net 1.1 version of the app are methods beginning with
SNI..

SNIPacketRelease, SNIPacketReset etc.

In an SNINativeMethodWrapper class.

Any ideas what these calls are?

--
Regards,

Phillip Johnson

wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Thanks for the responses Mark and Gregory,
>
> I've started to trace the app and one thing I notice that I couldn't
> see in the traces for the .net 1.1 version of the app are methods
> beginning with SNI..
>
> SNIPacketRelease, SNIPacketReset etc.
>
> In an SNINativeMethodWrapper class.
>
> Any ideas what these calls are?

SNINativeMethodWrapper is where .NET is calling unmanaged code. If this
is where your block is, you are probably using something that is
deprecated in 2.0 and it is causing your inefficiency when your code
ultimately talk to the Windows API.

Without knowing what you are doing in the app, I cannot give you any
pointers (and might not be able to, even if you do post code ;-0).

Ultimately, any work that actually touches the system, will eventually
call some unmanaged code in the Windows API, as the CLR sits on top of
windows.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Twitter: @gbworld

| Think outside the box! |

Making a multithread app that runs several instances of whatever the app did before olbion@gmail.com Python 1 08-15-2006 10:17 AM
Q: quarter's start and end dates =?Utf-8?B?SklNLkgu?= ASP .Net 1 11-23-2005 12:59 PM
Problems with No Quarter: Jimmy Page & Robert Plant Unledded Ken L. Cheshire DVD Video 2 10-28-2004 10:02 PM
next quarter D.j. C++ 3 09-17-2003 07:02 PM
NAN-AE Moron of the Quarter Survey... Jimchip Computer Support 6 07-02-2003 10:12 AM

Advertisments