Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > SQL Server 2005 Restore Error

SQL Server 2005 Restore Error

Jayakrishnan

In SQL Server 2005, I need to append data using restore option. How to
deal with this. I need to append data not to overwrite.

I tried "RESTORE WITH RECOVERY" option. I received the following error.

"The tail of the log for the database "pubs" has not been backed up. Use
BACKUP LOG WITH NORECOVERY to backup the log if it contains work you do
not want to lose. Use the WITH REPLACE or WITH STOPAT clause of the
RESTORE statement to just overwrite the contents of the log.
(Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)"

I tried Backup with transaction log option. and restored it. I received
the following error.

"The log or differential backup cannot be restored because no files are
ready to rollforward. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)"

Thanks in advance.

Jay..

David C

Try the sqlserver.server forum.
"Jayakrishnan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> In SQL Server 2005, I need to append data using restore option. How to
> deal with this. I need to append data not to overwrite.
>
> I tried "RESTORE WITH RECOVERY" option. I received the following error.
>
> "The tail of the log for the database "pubs" has not been backed up. Use
> BACKUP LOG WITH NORECOVERY to backup the log if it contains work you do
> not want to lose. Use the WITH REPLACE or WITH STOPAT clause of the
> RESTORE statement to just overwrite the contents of the log.
> (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)"
>
> I tried Backup with transaction log option. and restored it. I received
> the following error.
>
> "The log or differential backup cannot be restored because no files are
> ready to rollforward. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)"
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jay..

Jayakrishnan

David C wrote:
> Try the sqlserver.server forum.
> "Jayakrishnan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In SQL Server 2005, I need to append data using restore option. How to
>> deal with this. I need to append data not to overwrite.
>>
>> I tried "RESTORE WITH RECOVERY" option. I received the following error.
>>
>> "The tail of the log for the database "pubs" has not been backed up. Use
>> BACKUP LOG WITH NORECOVERY to backup the log if it contains work you do
>> not want to lose. Use the WITH REPLACE or WITH STOPAT clause of the
>> RESTORE statement to just overwrite the contents of the log.
>> (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)"
>>
>> I tried Backup with transaction log option. and restored it. I received
>> the following error.
>>
>> "The log or differential backup cannot be restored because no files are
>> ready to rollforward. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)"
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Jay..

thanks

Jayakrishnan

David C wrote:
> Try the sqlserver.server forum.
> "Jayakrishnan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In SQL Server 2005, I need to append data using restore option. How to
>> deal with this. I need to append data not to overwrite.
>>
>> I tried "RESTORE WITH RECOVERY" option. I received the following error.
>>
>> "The tail of the log for the database "pubs" has not been backed up. Use
>> BACKUP LOG WITH NORECOVERY to backup the log if it contains work you do
>> not want to lose. Use the WITH REPLACE or WITH STOPAT clause of the
>> RESTORE statement to just overwrite the contents of the log.
>> (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)"
>>
>> I tried Backup with transaction log option. and restored it. I received
>> the following error.
>>
>> "The log or differential backup cannot be restored because no files are
>> ready to rollforward. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)"
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Jay..

thanks