Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > IBGP configuration

IBGP configuration

cisco_crazy

Hi all,
can i use IBGP in my internal network without using other IGP protocol
like OSPF OR RIP.

THANKS,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Lutz Donnerhacke

* cisco_crazy wrote:
> can i use IBGP in my internal network without using other IGP protocol
> like OSPF OR RIP.

Yes.

dk77

On 14 июл, 09:58, cisco_crazy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all,
> can i use IBGP in my internal network without using other IGP protocol
> like OSPF OR RIP.
>
> THANKS,,,,,,,,,,,,,

start from here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk36...80093f25.shtml

swpa

Yes, I work on a team that designed a network solely with iBGP for a
multihome fully meshed topology. And the config was not as complicated as
it would thought to be.

"dk77" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On 14 июл, 09:58, cisco_crazy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all,
> can i use IBGP in my internal network without using other IGP protocol
> like OSPF OR RIP.
>
> THANKS,,,,,,,,,,,,,

start from here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk36...80093f25.shtml

John Agosta

"cisco_crazy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
> can i use IBGP in my internal network without using other IGP protocol
> like OSPF OR RIP.
>

> THANKS,,,,,,,,,,,,,

It can be done.
However, iBGP needs a route to reach its neighbor/peer.
So if you are not directly connected to your neighbors,
you'll need either dynamic or static routes to get between them.

Also, if you have multiple pathways between neighbors/peers,
it is better to use an iBGP which can make use of alternate pathways
between your neighbors/peers in the event of a failure.
In such a case, it is best to peer up to loopback IPs....

-ja

swpa

Yes, as the gentlemen stated, peer on loopback and a very good point to
make. We used peer groups and private asn's also as we had 22 sites with
primary and secondary connections. We chose the delay in the route re
assignment to secondary should the primary route fail over reconvergence
that OSPF would have created. Worked out well but again we had a delay in
route fail over due to the timers in BGP. I very fun and simple network to
design and was tired of the frame relay eigrp networks stuff.

"John Agosta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:n%57m.85$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "cisco_crazy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi all,
>> can i use IBGP in my internal network without using other IGP protocol
>> like OSPF OR RIP.
>>

>> THANKS,,,,,,,,,,,,,

> It can be done.
> However, iBGP needs a route to reach its neighbor/peer.
> So if you are not directly connected to your neighbors,
> you'll need either dynamic or static routes to get between them.
>
> Also, if you have multiple pathways between neighbors/peers,
> it is better to use an iBGP which can make use of alternate pathways
> between your neighbors/peers in the event of a failure.
> In such a case, it is best to peer up to loopback IPs....
>
> -ja

Paul Matthews

cisco_crazy wrote:

>Hi all,
>can i use IBGP in my internal network without using other IGP protocol
>like OSPF OR RIP.

Yes, but it is NOT a good IGP.
--
Paul Matthews CCIE #4063
Please post questions to the NG, NOT by e-mail.

theapplebee theapplebee is offline
Member
Location: USA

Yes, but you need to announce all the IP addresses used as BGP neighbors.

Check this article

http://showipbgp.com/bgp-configurati...d-sharing.html

Last edited by theapplebee; 09-11-2009 at 12:17 AM..