Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Icons to Desktop

Icons to Desktop

Bobby Johnson

Why is an icon written to desktop whenever a CD or DVD is put in the
drive? And, is there any way to stop it?

I get tired of deleting icons every time a CD or DVD is inserted into
the optical drive and would like to know if there is a way to stop it.
I have searched the internet but can't seem to find an appropriate answer.

David B. Mathews

I'm using Vista Ultimate and before that XP, WinMe, Win98, and Win95 and I
have never had a icon put on the desktop after inserting a CD/DVD. You must
be running some unstock program that does it as I have never heard of this
problem before anywhere.
==================
"Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why is an icon written to desktop whenever a CD or DVD is put in the
> drive? And, is there any way to stop it?
>
> I get tired of deleting icons every time a CD or DVD is inserted into the
> optical drive and would like to know if there is a way to stop it. I have
> searched the internet but can't seem to find an appropriate answer.

Carlos

Bobby,
Is this behaviour new?
Have you tried system restore?
What new software have you installed lately?
Just as an example, this proggie
http://www.techyard.net/create-deskt...movable-media/
creates a shortcut when insterting a CD!
Carlos

"Bobby Johnson" wrote:

> Why is an icon written to desktop whenever a CD or DVD is put in the
> drive? And, is there any way to stop it?
>
> I get tired of deleting icons every time a CD or DVD is inserted into
> the optical drive and would like to know if there is a way to stop it.
> I have searched the internet but can't seem to find an appropriate answer.

Bobby Johnson

Carlos,

It's not a new behavior and it occurs on every system I have running
right now; XP Pro, Win 7 x86, and Win 7 x64. I also experienced it on
XP x64. When I insert a CD or DVD it puts an icon associated with that
disc. Usually it's the icon identified by the Autorun program, but I
also get it with discs that have no Autorun or any icon I can see on the
disc. Essentially I guess it's a shortcut to that particular disc and I
have actually had it happening to me for a loooooong time.

Bobby

Carlos wrote:
> Bobby,
> Is this behaviour new?
> Have you tried system restore?
> What new software have you installed lately?
> Just as an example, this proggie
> http://www.techyard.net/create-deskt...movable-media/
> creates a shortcut when insterting a CD!
> Carlos
>
> "Bobby Johnson" wrote:
>
>> Why is an icon written to desktop whenever a CD or DVD is put in the
>> drive? And, is there any way to stop it?
>>
>> I get tired of deleting icons every time a CD or DVD is inserted into
>> the optical drive and would like to know if there is a way to stop it.
>> I have searched the internet but can't seem to find an appropriate answer.

Carlos

Bobby,
And does this also happen after a fresh install (i.e., no additional
software installed)?
Carlos
P.S. Just curious, what "colony" do you live in?

"Bobby Johnson" wrote:

> Carlos,
>
> It's not a new behavior and it occurs on every system I have running
> right now; XP Pro, Win 7 x86, and Win 7 x64. I also experienced it on
> XP x64. When I insert a CD or DVD it puts an icon associated with that
> disc. Usually it's the icon identified by the Autorun program, but I
> also get it with discs that have no Autorun or any icon I can see on the
> disc. Essentially I guess it's a shortcut to that particular disc and I
> have actually had it happening to me for a loooooong time.
>

> Bobby
>

> Carlos wrote:
> > Bobby,
> > Is this behaviour new?
> > Have you tried system restore?
> > What new software have you installed lately?
> > Just as an example, this proggie
> > http://www.techyard.net/create-deskt...movable-media/
> > creates a shortcut when insterting a CD!
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Bobby Johnson" wrote:
> >
> >> Why is an icon written to desktop whenever a CD or DVD is put in the
> >> drive? And, is there any way to stop it?
> >>
> >> I get tired of deleting icons every time a CD or DVD is inserted into
> >> the optical drive and would like to know if there is a way to stop it.
> >> I have searched the internet but can't seem to find an appropriate answer.

Bobby Johnson

Carlos,

Yes, this happens with fresh installs.

I live in part of the original Commonwealth of Virginia.

Bobby

Carlos wrote:
> Bobby,
> And does this also happen after a fresh install (i.e., no additional
> software installed)?
> Carlos
> P.S. Just curious, what "colony" do you live in?
>
> "Bobby Johnson" wrote:
>
>> Carlos,
>>
>> It's not a new behavior and it occurs on every system I have running
>> right now; XP Pro, Win 7 x86, and Win 7 x64. I also experienced it on
>> XP x64. When I insert a CD or DVD it puts an icon associated with that
>> disc. Usually it's the icon identified by the Autorun program, but I
>> also get it with discs that have no Autorun or any icon I can see on the
>> disc. Essentially I guess it's a shortcut to that particular disc and I
>> have actually had it happening to me for a loooooong time.
>>

>> Bobby
>>

>> Carlos wrote:
>>> Bobby,
>>> Is this behaviour new?
>>> Have you tried system restore?
>>> What new software have you installed lately?
>>> Just as an example, this proggie
>>> http://www.techyard.net/create-deskt...movable-media/
>>> creates a shortcut when insterting a CD!
>>> Carlos

Carlos

Bobby,
This is a behaviour I have never seen in any of my Windows installations.
Looks more like Linux behaviour rather than MSFT windows!
Could it be something related to localization?
Are all installations English-US or English-something_else?
I can't think of anything else.
Did DOS 6.22 had this problem? (just kidding)

Carlos

"Bobby Johnson" wrote:

> Carlos,
>
> Yes, this happens with fresh installs.
>
> I live in part of the original Commonwealth of Virginia.
>

> Bobby
>

> Carlos wrote:
> > Bobby,
> > And does this also happen after a fresh install (i.e., no additional
> > software installed)?
> > Carlos
> > P.S. Just curious, what "colony" do you live in?
> >
> > "Bobby Johnson" wrote:
> >
> >> Carlos,
> >>
> >> It's not a new behavior and it occurs on every system I have running
> >> right now; XP Pro, Win 7 x86, and Win 7 x64. I also experienced it on
> >> XP x64. When I insert a CD or DVD it puts an icon associated with that
> >> disc. Usually it's the icon identified by the Autorun program, but I
> >> also get it with discs that have no Autorun or any icon I can see on the
> >> disc. Essentially I guess it's a shortcut to that particular disc and I
> >> have actually had it happening to me for a loooooong time.
> >>

> >> Bobby

Bobby Johnson

Well, I was do some more Googleing yesterday and I did manage to find
links to other people complaining about always having to delete icons
from the desktop that; some were from software installation and some
were like mine - an icon when a disc is inserted into optical drive.

Carlos wrote:
> Bobby,
> This is a behaviour I have never seen in any of my Windows installations.
> Looks more like Linux behaviour rather than MSFT windows!
> Could it be something related to localization?
> Are all installations English-US or English-something_else?
> I can't think of anything else.
> Did DOS 6.22 had this problem? (just kidding)
>
> Carlos
>
> "Bobby Johnson" wrote:
>
>> Carlos,
>>
>> Yes, this happens with fresh installs.
>>
>> I live in part of the original Commonwealth of Virginia.
>>

>> Bobby
>>

>> Carlos wrote:
>>> Bobby,
>>> And does this also happen after a fresh install (i.e., no additional
>>> software installed)?
>>> Carlos
>>> P.S. Just curious, what "colony" do you live in?

ShellP

On Jul 15, 6:08*am, Bobby Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Well, I was do some more Googleing yesterday and I did manage to find
> links to other people complaining about always having to delete icons
> from the desktop that; some were from software installation and some
> were like mine - an icon when a disc is inserted into optical drive.
>

> Carlos wrote:
> > Bobby,
> > This is a behaviour I have never seen in any of my Windows installations.
> > Looks more like Linux behaviour rather than MSFT windows!
> > Could it be something related to localization?
> > Are all installations English-US or English-something_else?
> > I can't think of anything else.
> > Did DOS 6.22 had this problem? (just kidding)
> >
> > Carlos

> > "Bobby Johnson" wrote:

> >> Carlos,

> >> Yes, this happens with fresh installs.

> >> I live in part of the original Commonwealth of Virginia.

> >> Bobby

Hi, The desktop icons appear with ever additional download no matter
what type they are! I thought perhaps I had set something wrong being
a Newbie. I have a HDX 18-1180us Notebook that I've only had 24 hrs.
From what I can tell, unless you set your Folders 1st? It will do
this.

tsperling

This does not sound as if it's the same problem - yours could be your
Desktop being set as the default download directory, not an actual error,
but something you get used to or (as you've noticed) you define your own
target directory.

Moreover - this is not a correction you can make once and for all, different
download managers or download sources have a tendency to prefer their own
targets and some of them works better than other, depending on who you are.

Tony. . .