Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Basic WiFi AP?

Basic WiFi AP?

~misfit~

Hey Kids,

So I find myself with a couple ThinkPads and a PC at the far end of the
house from my ethernet switch that I have a PCI WiFi card for. I know
nothing about WiFi, other than when I tried to set up the built-in WiFi AP
on my (oddly named) ASUS P5KE-WiFi/AP to share teh intarwebs with my HTPC
the result was nothing but days of frustration.

Basic security would be good (WEP?) but I'm sure that I don't need WPA2 if
it makes things more complex as I live in a ghetto and in all the time I've
been WiFi capable, just once, very briefly, my T60 told me there was another
device in range. Turns out the neighbours over the back are between tenants
and are self-renovating for a couple weeks. I figure one of them had their
laptop with them.

(Actually, I have the WiFi on the other TPs turned off in BIOS, [the T60 has
a hardware switch to turn of 'all radios', WiFi and Bluetooth, that I use
rather than BIOS] perhaps I should play around with trying to connectone TP
to another? Or would that just confuse me further? As it is, although I've
never had trouble setting up a [wired] file sharing network with XP before
with multiple desktops, since I've had these TPs I can't seem to get it to
work.)

So... Any recommendations for a cheap'n'cheerful AP that I can plug into one
of the ethernet ports of my Speedtouch modem / router? Frankly I'm getting
sick of all the messages from my HTPC about the AV not being able reach the
update server whenever I turn it on. Also, I've been a bit poorly the last
few days and it would've been nice to have had the option to take my lappy
into my room and read usenet / news sites. (I've been too sick to surf pr0n,
<g>.)

Help? Advice? Please? Oh, should mention I only have a/b/g capable devices
so don't need (and most likely can't afford) n capability. I have the
Speedtouch acting as a DHCP server so I assume that it would continue to do
that through the AP?

TYVM,
--
Shaun.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll
be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.

victor

~misfit~ wrote:
> Hey Kids,
>
> So I find myself with a couple ThinkPads and a PC at the far end of the
> house from my ethernet switch that I have a PCI WiFi card for. I know
> nothing about WiFi, other than when I tried to set up the built-in WiFi AP
> on my (oddly named) ASUS P5KE-WiFi/AP to share teh intarwebs with my HTPC
> the result was nothing but days of frustration.
>
> Basic security would be good (WEP?) but I'm sure that I don't need WPA2 if
> it makes things more complex as I live in a ghetto and in all the time I've
> been WiFi capable, just once, very briefly, my T60 told me there was another
> device in range. Turns out the neighbours over the back are between tenants
> and are self-renovating for a couple weeks. I figure one of them had their
> laptop with them.
>
> (Actually, I have the WiFi on the other TPs turned off in BIOS, [the T60 has
> a hardware switch to turn of 'all radios', WiFi and Bluetooth, that I use
> rather than BIOS] perhaps I should play around with trying to connectone TP
> to another? Or would that just confuse me further? As it is, although I've
> never had trouble setting up a [wired] file sharing network with XP before
> with multiple desktops, since I've had these TPs I can't seem to get it to
> work.)
>
> So... Any recommendations for a cheap'n'cheerful AP that I can plug into one
> of the ethernet ports of my Speedtouch modem / router? Frankly I'm getting
> sick of all the messages from my HTPC about the AV not being able reach the
> update server whenever I turn it on. Also, I've been a bit poorly the last
> few days and it would've been nice to have had the option to take my lappy
> into my room and read usenet / news sites. (I've been too sick to surf pr0n,
> <g>.)
>
> Help? Advice? Please? Oh, should mention I only have a/b/g capable devices
> so don't need (and most likely can't afford) n capability. I have the
> Speedtouch acting as a DHCP server so I assume that it would continue to do
> that through the AP?
>
> TYVM,

The ASUS WL520GU at around $100 is good value.
It can use the same 3rd party firmware as the linksys WRT54GL if you
want QoS, port forwarding, static dhcp etc
I use and recommend http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato, it has a much
better http interface than any of the default firmwares.
(I'm using 2 at the moment, one for the main house and one in WDS mode
as a repeater in the window of an adjacent cottage/office each with a
voip phone adapter)

JohnO

On Jul 13, 11:31*am, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hey Kids,
>
> So I find myself with a couple ThinkPads and a PC at the far end of the
> house from my ethernet switch that I have a PCI WiFi card for. I know
> nothing about WiFi, other than when I tried to set up the built-in WiFi AP
> on my (oddly named) ASUS P5KE-WiFi/AP to share teh intarwebs with my HTPC
> the result was nothing but days of frustration.
>
> Basic security would be good (WEP?) but I'm sure that I don't need WPA2 if
> it makes things more complex as I live in a ghetto and in all the time I've
> been WiFi capable, just once, very briefly, my T60 told me there was another
> device in range. Turns out the neighbours over the back are between tenants
> and are self-renovating for a couple weeks. I figure one of them had their
> laptop with them.
>
> (Actually, I have the WiFi on the other TPs turned off in BIOS, [the T60 has
> a hardware switch to turn of 'all radios', WiFi and Bluetooth, that I use
> rather than BIOS] perhaps I should play around with trying to connectone TP
> to another? Or would that just confuse me further? As it is, although I've
> never had trouble setting up a [wired] file sharing network with XP before
> with multiple desktops, since I've had these TPs I can't seem to get it to
> work.)
>
> So... Any recommendations for a cheap'n'cheerful AP that I can plug into one
> of the ethernet ports of my Speedtouch modem / router? Frankly I'm getting
> sick of all the messages from my HTPC about the AV not being able reach the
> update server whenever I turn it on. Also, I've been a bit poorly the last
> few days and it would've been nice to have had the option to take my lappy
> into my room and read usenet / news sites. (I've been too sick to surf pr0n,
> <g>.)
>
> Help? Advice? Please? Oh, should mention I only have a/b/g capable devices
> so don't need (and most likely can't afford) n capability. I have the
> Speedtouch acting as a DHCP server so I assume that it would continue to do
> that through the AP?
>
> TYVM,
> --
> Shaun.
>
> "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll
> be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.

Shaun, you should stick with WPA - no harder to set up than WEP but it
is much better than WEP which is trivial to crack with freely
downloadable software.

Just because you don't see other a/p's doesn't mean they are not
there. They can just have SSID broadcast switched off (you should do
that also).

Also, the bandwidth stealers can often be "war-drivers" rather than
neighbours.

The good news is all the wifi a/ps these days do WPA.

Cheers,
JohnO

JohnO

On Jul 13, 12:04*pm, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
> > Hey Kids,

> > So I find myself with a couple ThinkPads and a PC at the far end of the
> > house from my ethernet switch that I have a PCI WiFi card for. I know
> > nothing about WiFi, other than when I tried to set up the built-in WiFi AP
> > on my (oddly named) ASUS P5KE-WiFi/AP to share teh intarwebs with my HTPC
> > the result was nothing but days of frustration.

> > Basic security would be good (WEP?) but I'm sure that I don't need WPA2 if
> > it makes things more complex as I live in a ghetto and in all the time I've
> > been WiFi capable, just once, very briefly, my T60 told me there was another
> > device in range. Turns out the neighbours over the back are between tenants
> > and are self-renovating for a couple weeks. I figure one of them had their
> > laptop with them.

> > (Actually, I have the WiFi on the other TPs turned off in BIOS, [the T60 has
> > a hardware switch to turn of 'all radios', WiFi and Bluetooth, that I use
> > rather than BIOS] perhaps I should play around with trying to connectone TP
> > to another? Or would that just confuse me further? As it is, although I've
> > never had trouble setting up a [wired] file sharing network with XP before
> > with multiple desktops, since I've had these TPs I can't seem to get it to
> > work.)

> > So... Any recommendations for a cheap'n'cheerful AP that I can plug into one
> > of the ethernet ports of my Speedtouch modem / router? Frankly I'm getting
> > sick of all the messages from my HTPC about the AV not being able reach the
> > update server whenever I turn it on. Also, I've been a bit poorly the last
> > few days and it would've been nice to have had the option to take my lappy
> > into my room and read usenet / news sites. (I've been too sick to surf pr0n,
> > <g>.)

> > Help? Advice? Please? Oh, should mention I only have a/b/g capable devices
> > so don't need (and most likely can't afford) n capability. I have the
> > Speedtouch acting as a DHCP server so I assume that it would continue to do
> > that through the AP?

> > TYVM,

> The ASUS WL520GU at around $100 is good value.
> It can use the same 3rd party firmware as the linksys WRT54GL if you
> want QoS, port forwarding, static dhcp etc
> I use and recommendhttp://www.polarcloud.com/tomato, it has a much
> better http interface than any of the default firmwares.
> (I'm using 2 at the moment, one for the main house and one in WDS mode
> as a repeater in the window of an adjacent cottage/office each with a
> voip phone adapter)

Can it also be used as a bridge? IOW use it to attach an ethernet
device to your wifi network?

victor

JohnO wrote:
> On Jul 13, 12:04 pm, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>> Hey Kids,
>>> So I find myself with a couple ThinkPads and a PC at the far end of the
>>> house from my ethernet switch that I have a PCI WiFi card for. I know
>>> nothing about WiFi, other than when I tried to set up the built-in WiFi AP
>>> on my (oddly named) ASUS P5KE-WiFi/AP to share teh intarwebs with my HTPC
>>> the result was nothing but days of frustration.
>>> Basic security would be good (WEP?) but I'm sure that I don't need WPA2 if
>>> it makes things more complex as I live in a ghetto and in all the time I've
>>> been WiFi capable, just once, very briefly, my T60 told me there was another
>>> device in range. Turns out the neighbours over the back are between tenants
>>> and are self-renovating for a couple weeks. I figure one of them had their
>>> laptop with them.
>>> (Actually, I have the WiFi on the other TPs turned off in BIOS, [the T60 has
>>> a hardware switch to turn of 'all radios', WiFi and Bluetooth, that I use
>>> rather than BIOS] perhaps I should play around with trying to connectone TP
>>> to another? Or would that just confuse me further? As it is, although I've
>>> never had trouble setting up a [wired] file sharing network with XP before
>>> with multiple desktops, since I've had these TPs I can't seem to get it to
>>> work.)
>>> So... Any recommendations for a cheap'n'cheerful AP that I can plug into one
>>> of the ethernet ports of my Speedtouch modem / router? Frankly I'm getting
>>> sick of all the messages from my HTPC about the AV not being able reach the
>>> update server whenever I turn it on. Also, I've been a bit poorly the last
>>> few days and it would've been nice to have had the option to take my lappy
>>> into my room and read usenet / news sites. (I've been too sick to surf pr0n,
>>> <g>.)
>>> Help? Advice? Please? Oh, should mention I only have a/b/g capable devices
>>> so don't need (and most likely can't afford) n capability. I have the
>>> Speedtouch acting as a DHCP server so I assume that it would continue to do
>>> that through the AP?
>>> TYVM,

>> The ASUS WL520GU at around $100 is good value.
>> It can use the same 3rd party firmware as the linksys WRT54GL if you
>> want QoS, port forwarding, static dhcp etc
>> I use and recommendhttp://www.polarcloud.com/tomato, it has a much
>> better http interface than any of the default firmwares.
>> (I'm using 2 at the moment, one for the main house and one in WDS mode
>> as a repeater in the window of an adjacent cottage/office each with a
>> voip phone adapter)

> Can it also be used as a bridge? IOW use it to attach an ethernet
> device to your wifi network?

Yes, that is what is happening with the wired voip adapter on the second
unit.

The options for Wireless Mode are
access point
access point + WDS
wireless client
wireless ethernet bridge
WDS

There is also a very cool project using it as a music player.

Richard

~misfit~ wrote:
> Hey Kids,
>
> So I find myself with a couple ThinkPads and a PC at the far end of the
> house from my ethernet switch that I have a PCI WiFi card for. I know
> nothing about WiFi, other than when I tried to set up the built-in WiFi AP
> on my (oddly named) ASUS P5KE-WiFi/AP to share teh intarwebs with my HTPC
> the result was nothing but days of frustration.
>
> Basic security would be good (WEP?) but I'm sure that I don't need WPA2 if
> it makes things more complex as I live in a ghetto and in all the time I've
> been WiFi capable, just once, very briefly, my T60 told me there was another
> device in range. Turns out the neighbours over the back are between tenants
> and are self-renovating for a couple weeks. I figure one of them had their
> laptop with them.
>
> (Actually, I have the WiFi on the other TPs turned off in BIOS, [the T60 has
> a hardware switch to turn of 'all radios', WiFi and Bluetooth, that I use
> rather than BIOS] perhaps I should play around with trying to connectone TP
> to another? Or would that just confuse me further? As it is, although I've
> never had trouble setting up a [wired] file sharing network with XP before
> with multiple desktops, since I've had these TPs I can't seem to get it to
> work.)
>
> So... Any recommendations for a cheap'n'cheerful AP that I can plug into one
> of the ethernet ports of my Speedtouch modem / router? Frankly I'm getting
> sick of all the messages from my HTPC about the AV not being able reach the
> update server whenever I turn it on. Also, I've been a bit poorly the last
> few days and it would've been nice to have had the option to take my lappy
> into my room and read usenet / news sites. (I've been too sick to surf pr0n,
> <g>.)
>
> Help? Advice? Please? Oh, should mention I only have a/b/g capable devices
> so don't need (and most likely can't afford) n capability. I have the
> Speedtouch acting as a DHCP server so I assume that it would continue to do
> that through the AP?

Look into the routers - that gets you a 4 port switch as well, and they
seem to be cheaper then a standalone accesspoint - just give it a static
lan IP, turn off its DHCP server and leave the wan port empty.

Forget wep - WPA works better IME - WEP will do all sorts of crap like
show you are connected and not pass data because its using the wrong key
etc. Never got the point of specifying multiple keys on accesspoints -
never worked for me.. whereas WPA is mature enough to just work now.

There are many that will take openwrt on them to do other cool stuff
like ratelimit flatmates and account for traffic - the asus 520's are
the best value if you can find one - you can add USB to the 520GC by
adding the sockets and changing to a 5V adapter. A friend didnt bother
with that and has put a flashdrive on the USB inside it by bypassing the
regulator on it and using the AP's own 3.3v supply and it now has a
webserver on it and is controlling a couple of things via its serial
port. Apparantly you can torrent on them easily as well but I have no
reason to bother with that.

Gordon

On 2009-07-12, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hey Kids,
>
> So I find myself with a couple ThinkPads and a PC at the far end of the
> house from my ethernet switch that I have a PCI WiFi card for. I know
> nothing about WiFi, other than when I tried to set up the built-in WiFi AP
> on my (oddly named) ASUS P5KE-WiFi/AP to share teh intarwebs with my HTPC
> the result was nothing but days of frustration.
>
> Basic security would be good (WEP?) but I'm sure that I don't need WPA2 if
> it makes things more complex as I live in a ghetto and in all the time I've
> been WiFi capable, just once, very briefly, my T60 told me there was another
> device in range. Turns out the neighbours over the back are between tenants
> and are self-renovating for a couple weeks. I figure one of them had their
> laptop with them.
>
> (Actually, I have the WiFi on the other TPs turned off in BIOS, [the T60 has
> a hardware switch to turn of 'all radios', WiFi and Bluetooth, that I use
> rather than BIOS] perhaps I should play around with trying to connectone TP
> to another? Or would that just confuse me further? As it is, although I've
> never had trouble setting up a [wired] file sharing network with XP before
> with multiple desktops, since I've had these TPs I can't seem to get it to
> work.)
>
> So... Any recommendations for a cheap'n'cheerful AP that I can plug into one
> of the ethernet ports of my Speedtouch modem / router? Frankly I'm getting
> sick of all the messages from my HTPC about the AV not being able reach the
> update server whenever I turn it on. Also, I've been a bit poorly the last
> few days and it would've been nice to have had the option to take my lappy
> into my room and read usenet / news sites. (I've been too sick to surf pr0n,
><g>.)
>
> Help? Advice? Please? Oh, should mention I only have a/b/g capable devices
> so don't need (and most likely can't afford) n capability. I have the
> Speedtouch acting as a DHCP server so I assume that it would continue to do
> that through the AP?

Yes. One DHCP per subnet. Off the top of my head, and from memory.

You need to set the AP up to get the IP from the DHCP server. I have a
fixed IP for the AP in the same sub net range . Helps with getting to it to
set it up.

Set it up via a cable. The cable is always there, so to speak, and works
better. Older technology.

My 2cents.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
> On Jul 13, 11:31 am, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hey Kids,
>>
>> So I find myself with a couple ThinkPads and a PC at the far end of
>> the house from my ethernet switch that I have a PCI WiFi card for. I
>> know nothing about WiFi, other than when I tried to set up the
>> built-in WiFi AP on my (oddly named) ASUS P5KE-WiFi/AP to share teh
>> intarwebs with my HTPC the result was nothing but days of
>> frustration.
>>
>> Basic security would be good (WEP?) but I'm sure that I don't need
>> WPA2 if it makes things more complex as I live in a ghetto and in
>> all the time I've been WiFi capable, just once, very briefly, my T60
>> told me there was another device in range. Turns out the neighbours
>> over the back are between tenants and are self-renovating for a
>> couple weeks. I figure one of them had their laptop with them.
>>
>> (Actually, I have the WiFi on the other TPs turned off in BIOS, [the
>> T60 has a hardware switch to turn of 'all radios', WiFi and
>> Bluetooth, that I use rather than BIOS] perhaps I should play around
>> with trying to connectone TP to another? Or would that just confuse
>> me further? As it is, although I've never had trouble setting up a
>> [wired] file sharing network with XP before with multiple desktops,
>> since I've had these TPs I can't seem to get it to work.)
>>
>> So... Any recommendations for a cheap'n'cheerful AP that I can plug
>> into one of the ethernet ports of my Speedtouch modem / router?
>> Frankly I'm getting sick of all the messages from my HTPC about the
>> AV not being able reach the update server whenever I turn it on.
>> Also, I've been a bit poorly the last few days and it would've been
>> nice to have had the option to take my lappy into my room and read
>> usenet / news sites. (I've been too sick to surf pr0n, <g>.)
>>
>> Help? Advice? Please? Oh, should mention I only have a/b/g capable
>> devices so don't need (and most likely can't afford) n capability. I
>> have the Speedtouch acting as a DHCP server so I assume that it
>> would continue to do that through the AP?

> Shaun, you should stick with WPA - no harder to set up than WEP but it
> is much better than WEP which is trivial to crack with freely
> downloadable software.
>
> Just because you don't see other a/p's doesn't mean they are not
> there. They can just have SSID broadcast switched off (you should do
> that also).
>
> Also, the bandwidth stealers can often be "war-drivers" rather than
> neighbours.
>
> The good news is all the wifi a/ps these days do WPA.

Thanks JohnO, all the APs might do WPA but I'm not sure about all of my
ThinkPads, especially the older R40s (c 2004).

I live up a cul-de-sac and am pretty much the only non tangata
whenua/pasifika in the 'street'. I know of three others up here with
computers (all of whom I've assisted at times, all essentially
computer-illiterate) and only one has a WiFi-capable router and I advised
them to turn the WiFi off as they have an ethernet cable and the machine is
right next to the modem/router.

It's good to see all the responses (but please exuse me folks, I have 'flu
so aren't out of bed much to answer everyone). However, it seems a few
people are missing the "basic" requirement. I don't really want to learn all
about WiFi, I just want to get a recommendation on a cheap, reliable unit.

Cheers, <Shivering my arse off, 'flu and being unable to afford home-heating
aren't the greatest combo>
--

On Jul 13, 11:01*pm, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> computers (all of whom I've assisted at times, all essentially
> computer-illiterate) and only one has a WiFi-capable router and I advised
> them to turn the WiFi off as they have an ethernet cable and the machine is
> right next to the modem/router.
>
> It's good to see all the responses (but please exuse me folks, I have 'flu
> so aren't out of bed much to answer everyone). However, it seems a few
> people are missing the "basic" requirement. I don't really want to learn all
> about WiFi, I just want to get a recommendation on a cheap, reliable unit..
>
> Cheers, <Shivering my arse off, 'flu and being unable to afford home-heating
> aren't the greatest combo>
> --
> Shaun.
>
> "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll
> be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.

Ouch. Wrap up warm and don't follow your sig then!

victor

~misfit~ wrote:

> Thanks JohnO, all the APs might do WPA but I'm not sure about all of my
> ThinkPads, especially the older R40s (c 2004).
>
> I live up a cul-de-sac and am pretty much the only non tangata
> whenua/pasifika in the 'street'. I know of three others up here with
> computers (all of whom I've assisted at times, all essentially
> computer-illiterate) and only one has a WiFi-capable router and I advised
> them to turn the WiFi off as they have an ethernet cable and the machine is
> right next to the modem/router.
>
> It's good to see all the responses (but please exuse me folks, I have 'flu
> so aren't out of bed much to answer everyone). However, it seems a few
> people are missing the "basic" requirement. I don't really want to learn all
> about WiFi, I just want to get a recommendation on a cheap, reliable unit.
>
> Cheers, <Shivering my arse off, 'flu and being unable to afford home-heating
> aren't the greatest combo>

You can start with the ASUS WL520GU straight out of the box. Best value
for money.